2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Factory NAV Worth It? & Anyway to get USB flash drives to work?

Search this Thread

Old 11/14/07, 08:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory NAV Worth It? & Anyway to get USB flash drives to work?

Anyone with the factory navigation system, do you think it is worth it to have the larger screen for radio, CD, and MP3 CD browsing and viewing of the track titles, etc, and also do you think that the navigation system itself is a good unit compared to other navigation systems? I've never used a DVD based NAV system so i'm not sure how it works. I've only used the handheld units like the garmin street pilots. If anyone could provide some insight on it i'd appreciate it.

Also, does anyone know if there is any kind of aftermarket radio add-on that will allow you to plug in a USB flash drive and use the factory radio to control the MP3 files on it. Just like how it reads MP3 CD's, but with a USB drive instead of a CD. Or if not, would it be better to forget getting the factory navigation system and just buy an aftermarket head unit that includes navigation and has a USB port, if so which ones would you reccomend? I'm not that into car audio and video but would really like to be able to use a USB drive instead of constantly burning MP3 disks and need some advice. Thanks.
Old 11/15/07, 07:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
I have a garmin with a 3.5 inch screen in my car and it seems big enough for what I need. I know its not factory but that was my 2 cents
Old 11/15/07, 07:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

I use my Palm for a nav unit and it has a small screen but I dont have a problem seeing it. I am saving for the Pioneer AVIC-D3.
Old 11/15/07, 08:28 AM
Bullitt Member

The Pioneer units look good, but it looks like they have no way to get USB flash drive to work with them?
Old 11/15/07, 08:41 AM
Bullitt Member

I love the factory navigation. I was going to get it put in when I ordered my 07 but I thought twice. It's a 2,000.00 dollar option, which in my opinion isn't worth it. The only reason why is because you can probably come close to getting a decent nav/head united with a kick *** aftermarket sound system for that much more (give or take some dollars). I got a Pioneer AVC-N2 awhile back for 900 new. Then either spend the other 1,100 on a awesome sound system to go along with it, or some performance mods.
Old 11/15/07, 01:41 PM

I have the factory NAV system. I'd say its primary benefit vs. aftermarket is that it has a clean factory appearance. Overall I do enjoy it and I like the enhanced dispaly for Sirius in particular. However it was really not a must have option for me - it just happened to be in the car that I picked out. If I had ordered the car rather than buying off the lot I doubt if I would have included this option.

The only other NAV I have used is the factory one in our Honda Odyssey. Some things I like better about the Ford system, other things I like better about the Honda system. Basically they both get the job done and work reasonably well but neither is perfect.

The thing I like best about the Ford system vs the Honda: if you have the system in "media" mode (CD / Sirius / radio) it will remember this and the next time you start the car it will come up in media mode and not prompt you with the nag screen about not using the system while in motion. If you change to map mode then you have to acknowledge the nag but most of the time when driving locally I am in media mode. The Honda reverts to map mode every time you start the car and nags you every time. Very irritating.

The thing I hate most about the Ford system vs the Honda: lots more features are inoperable when the car is in motion. For example, you can't enter a destination address while moving. I can understand how this is dangerous for the driver to do, but it's irritating that the passenger can't do it.

Kevin.
Old 11/15/07, 03:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Money better spent on an after market unit then the factory for its price JMO
Old 11/15/07, 04:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Airwolf: You have a 2006 Mustang. You are just about guaranteed to have the "Speed Error" problem in your NAV. In order to correct that error you'll need a 2007.5+ model year instrument cluster.

The error doesn't affect functionality, it's just another annoying nag screen to OK when you switch to NAV mode.

I'd pass and get the Pioneer AVIC Z2. That system ROCKS. If my factory NAV issues aren't straightened out and I get a refund I'm going with the Z2.
Old 11/15/07, 07:58 PM

I have a D3 and I know they make an adapter cable that allows for USB plugin, tho how well it works I cannot say. I know there is also a Kenwood unit that comes with native USB support and would imagine browsing the file structure is probably fairly intuitive, IIRC there is a thread on one of the mustang forums (not sure which one) that shows a guy who ran a 4 port USB hub from the back of the radio and mounted it into his center console. The D3 is awesome for ipod control if you choose to go that route however
Old 11/15/07, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Airwolf: You have a 2006 Mustang. You are just about guaranteed to have the "Speed Error" problem in your NAV. In order to correct that error you'll need a 2007.5+ model year instrument cluster.

The error doesn't affect functionality, it's just another annoying nag screen to OK when you switch to NAV mode.
I haven't heard this before (about the 2007.5+ cluster). Is this known from a source such as Ford or Pioneer? Or experience on the forum? I'm interested as I would like to add NAV to my '07 with an April '07 build date.
Old 11/15/07, 10:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm looking for a unit for my new 2008, not the 06. The reason i'm asking this is because Sync is not available on the Mustang for 08, but it will be for '09, but who knows what the mustang holds for 2009, Sync will probably not be retrofittable or not offered as an 09 accessory.

What i really want is a USB port so i can use a USB flash drive, and i just don't want to waste money on a stock Nav system if i can get a quality stock-looking system with nav, and USB.
Old 11/16/07, 12:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by TcodeV8
I haven't heard this before (about the 2007.5+ cluster). Is this known from a source such as Ford or Pioneer? Or experience on the forum? I'm interested as I would like to add NAV to my '07 with an April '07 build date.
One of our members (sorry I don't remember which one to give him credit) and his Ford dealer figured it out.

Apparently instrument clusters manufactured after 12-06 have a different part number and are compatible with the factory NAV unit. I ran this by Kevin Casey at Clevenger Ford (05KCSTANG) and he verified that there is a difference in the part number, probably due to a change in suppliers.

If you have an April 07 build date you should be ok.