2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Extreme inner tire wear!

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/08, 02:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You must have forgotten to change your seasonal tire air.

"Everyone knows that temperature can have a great impact in your tire pressure. This is why you absolutely should use the correct air for your tires! For example, your car should usually have the tires set to 32psi. If you are using summer air in the summer, this is fine. However! If you use this summer air in the dead of winter, your may actually only be running at about 22psi! Each can will do one average sized tire. Sold in sets of 1 each."
Old 2/18/08, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67
You must have forgotten to change your seasonal tire air.

"Everyone knows that temperature can have a great impact in your tire pressure. This is why you absolutely should use the correct air for your tires! For example, your car should usually have the tires set to 32psi. If you are using summer air in the summer, this is fine. However! If you use this summer air in the dead of winter, your may actually only be running at about 22psi! Each can will do one average sized tire. Sold in sets of 1 each."
Old 2/19/08, 01:08 PM
V6 Member

Thanks all! I really appreciate your input.

To answer some of your questions:
  • The suspension setup is stock; I haven't done any lowering.
  • The tires have 20,000 miles on them.
  • I did do tire rotation but probably not enough.
  • I may have done some spirited driving a time or 2.
It's at the dealer today. They inspected it and said everything looks OK. It's probably a matter of driving habits and lack of rotation. I've ordered a set of Kumho Ecsta ASX 255/45R-18's and I'll make sure to do an alignment and keep up with rotating the tires and check inflation regularly.

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
If it's toe the worn part of the tire will feel smooth when you rub one way and feathered when you rub the other way. If it's camber it will be smooth both ways.

I'm going to try that! Do I rub in the direction of the tread or across the tread?

Thanks again for all your help!
Old 2/19/08, 01:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by The Dark Horse
I'm going to try that! Do I rub in the direction of the tread or across the tread?

Thanks again for all your help!
In the direction of the tread usually but it may work both ways.
Old 2/20/08, 05:55 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you do replace your tires try rotating them every 5,000 miles or even more often if you continue with your "spirited" driving habits Those are some seriously worn tires for only having 20,000 miles on them.
Old 2/20/08, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Rotating more frequently is just a baind-aid solution. Tires should wear evenly across the tread.

I recently found my car is doing this too, but then I don't have the stock suspension setup anymore either. I had the car aligned about a year and a half ago and everything looked good, but I guess I've got to look into some camber bolts.
Old 2/20/08, 01:23 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally Posted by Keystone
Rotating more frequently is just a baind-aid solution. Tires should wear evenly across the tread.

I recently found my car is doing this too, but then I don't have the stock suspension setup anymore either. I had the car aligned about a year and a half ago and everything looked good, but I guess I've got to look into some camber bolts.
A Band-aid solution? I call it routine maintenance. Tires are suppose to be rotated every 5,000 to 10,000 miles regardless of how perfect the alignment is. Tires will not wear evenly across, unless all you do is drive straight or take corners extremely slow. Since my tires are different sizes from front to back, once every 10,000 km, I remove the tires from the rim, reverse them, and then remount them back on the car so that the right tire is now on the left and the left on the right (darn directionals). I rotate the tires on my wifes car every 2nd oil change. Out of all the cars I have, on average I get 120,000 - 140,000 km on a set of tires. I always get an alignment done when new tires are installed and then again when the tires have around 60,000-70,000 km on them.
Old 2/20/08, 01:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Poco
I just had a set(4) of KDWS installed and balanced for 369.00.You can't beat that for an 18' ZR rated tire.
yea no $****, where the hell did you get that??? I am waiting for new wheels at the moment and may have to cancel them and just order new rubber for the stock rims. I am on racing slicks at this point and that's a killer price.
Old 2/20/08, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
A Band-aid solution? I call it routine maintenance. Tires are suppose to be rotated every 5,000 to 10,000 miles regardless of how perfect the alignment is. Tires will not wear evenly across, unless all you do is drive straight or take corners extremely slow. Since my tires are different sizes from front to back, once every 10,000 km, I remove the tires from the rim, reverse them, and then remount them back on the car so that the right tire is now on the left and the left on the right (darn directionals). I rotate the tires on my wifes car every 2nd oil change. Out of all the cars I have, on average I get 120,000 - 140,000 km on a set of tires. I always get an alignment done when new tires are installed and then again when the tires have around 60,000-70,000 km on them.
Don't take that out of context. I'm saying simply rotating the tires more often is not going to fix a mechanical problem.
Old 2/20/08, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

• The tires have 20,000 miles on them.
  • I did do tire rotation but probably not enough.
  • I may have done some spirited driving a time or 2.

20,000, eh? Same as me. Hmm, I guess me and Abe better get out in the garage before spring start-up and have a look-see.

By the way, since plenty of people are commenting, what's the peak and mean mileages folks seem to be getting with the stock tires? I would guess 20,000 is on the low side for sure, especially with the wear pattern you got here. Tough for them to fork over new tires though unless it was ridiculously low miles and you came across like a guy who was allergic to the smell of burnt rubber..
Old 2/20/08, 08:38 PM
Cobra Member

I've got about 38k miles on my stock tires. I did have to replace the rear pair, but that was because of road hazard damage (small nail in shoulder of one of the tires). They are wearing pretty evenly, but I do see a small amount of extra wear on the inner side of the front tires. I try to rotate the tires every 10k miles or so, but I am definitely NOT religious about it.

To make matters worse, I have lowered the car and STILL haven't aligned it! The extra camber really helped the turn in and the car still tracked straight as an arrow after the Eiboch springs were installed, so...
Old 2/20/08, 11:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I just get new tires every 6 months or so, lol.
I think Im up to 20 tires total. Funny, thats like 1 tire per 1000 miles now that I think of it.
Old 2/21/08, 05:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RRRoamer
Poco,

Where in the world did you get FOUR of these installed for just $396??? I'm pricing four 255/50-17s from Tire Rack and they are $151 EACH plus shipping, plus installation, plus balancing...

I like YOUR price MUCH BETTER!
I have a family member who works at a tire shop.
I've seen the Tire Rack sell the 18" KDWS for a lot less than the 17",go figure.
Old 2/21/08, 07:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
This is bizarre... I just had the EXACT SAME problem!!!

I am guilty of a few things... About 30k on the tires ( NOT original, I got my 18" wheels later), I regularly inflate to 35 PSI, only one rotation.

My drivers rear blew out (I think due to some garbage object on the freeway) so I took the car in on the pizza cutter to replace it. The shop called and said when they were ready to rotate the new tires up front, they couldn't do it because the cords were showing through the tread on the inner sides of the tires!!!

WTF? I called BS, and went down to the shop. Sure enough, my tires looked EXACTLY like the OP's.

SON OF A B___!!! The shop told me the alignment was off, toe-in was bad. Alignment, road hazard, and three tires set me back $500.

SIGH... what a day... To the OP, I definitely feel your pain!!!!!
Old 2/27/08, 08:41 AM

[quote=RRRoamer;1111208]Poco,
Where in the world did you get FOUR of these installed for just $396???

I've used TireRack.com with success. They have these tires on sale right now. One time I got extremely lucky and bought 4 from a place in CA called tires-easy.com - for $53 each!!

The KDWS is not the greatest tire in the world. They came stock on my Marauder in the 235/50 in the front, and the 245/55 in the rear. The fronts wore out on most folks, and mine included within 20K miles, just like in the picture. The rears are notorious for wearing out in the center like they're overinflated, but they're not. I've gone to running the 235/50 all the way around on the Marauder. Being able to rotate has REALLY helped the mileage, and I've had the front end realigned with less toe. That's also helped.

I just put a set of the 235/50-18's on my 07 GT, and I"m wondering how they're going to wear on it.
Old 2/27/08, 02:44 PM

Hi DarkHorse,

If you are still reading this you have been driving with the tires overinflated and in need of setting the toe correctly. Toe should be set to 1/16" total toe in with the steering "loaded." With a stock tire on stock rims you should be inflated to no more than 32psi.

HTH!

I was under the car changing the oil when I noticed severe tread wear along the inside edge of the front tires. One tire even has some cords showing. Obviously, I知 getting new tires ASAP but I知 concerned about what could be going wrong. After some research, it seems this indicates too much negative camber, but it appears that S197s don稚 have any way to adjust camber at all. What exactly is causing this and what can I do about it???

Old 2/27/08, 06:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
I say the heck with rotating tires. I am going to replace the rears as often as I need be. For the fronts I keep an eye on wear with a TREAD DEPTH GAUGE

also after I installed the springs I got a lifetime alignment from firestone. Its paid for it self already. I think it was 129$

I rotate my tires every day