2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

exhaust mid pipe coupler clamps - bolt size?

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/08, 09:51 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
exhaust mid pipe coupler clamps - bolt size?

Anyone know offhand what the exact size of the bolts are on the exhaust couplers that hold the midpipe to the over the axle pipes? I was readjusting my axlebacks and pipes earlier tonight and snapped a bolt

Things should hold till I can get to a store tomorrow and get a replacement and was just curious if anyone had run into this issue before.

Thanks!
Old 1/1/08, 10:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, I got experience with this!! I broke one off too, its a t-bolt (no hex-head) and about a grade-5. I grabbed a regular bolt about the right size from one of my many parts bins, turned out to be a little too long. Still worked though. The original bolt is metric for sure, my suggestion is to get a regular style bolt in stainless and at least a grade 5 that fits the hole size.
Old 1/2/08, 07:20 AM
Big Falken Tires

awesome - thanks man

what was supposed to be a quick 45 minute adjustment turned into an hour and a half of tweak here, tweak there.... and then as I was finsihing up, then d**m bolt snapped

Needless to say I was ticked - but whatcha gonna do?
Old 1/3/08, 07:40 AM
V6 Member

Amazing isn't it? I was buttoning up the install on my short tubes yesterday, and snapped a bolt... took what should have been a 30 minute finish up job to a 2 hours worth of work.
Old 1/3/08, 10:05 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by GT Bob
Amazing isn't it? I was buttoning up the install on my short tubes yesterday, and snapped a bolt... took what should have been a 30 minute finish up job to a 2 hours worth of work.
LUCKILY I plan for the worst and bought two sets of FOUR bolts in two sizes at Home Depot

last night I discover how tight the T bolts fit into the clamp and how you have to PRY them the &$Y&$%^@% out.......

then I install the new bolt, go to lock down the first clamp (passeneger side), tighten up the new bolt, then tighten the old stock bolt...... SNAP.....

the second one breaks.......

take the sleeve clamp off, pry out the OTHER stock one, then add the second new bolt and get it all buttoned up - no probs or leaks

went all the way and did the other ones on the driver side too
Old 1/3/08, 03:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've still gotta re-align mine (too cold out now) and replace all of the bolts with something stonger. I figure at least an hour's work, w/out any snafu's, that is!!
Old 1/3/08, 07:12 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by hiznherponies
I've still gotta re-align mine (too cold out now) and replace all of the bolts with something stonger. I figure at least an hour's work, w/out any snafu's, that is!!
as long as you have those &*@%#^@%# stock T bolts out of there, you will fly through it