2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Eventful days in the life of a 'Stang...

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/06, 06:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eventful days in the life of a 'Stang...

With some supplies I purchased from Wal-Mart yesterday (the Absorber, 2 buckets, sheep-skin wash mit, and a spray bottle), and my Zaino supplies, I set out for a car wash near to the one I usually frequent. Its smaller, less people use it, and only $0.75 to start the sprayer. As I turned onto the road it is located on, I noticed orange traffic cones in its driveway. I looked up and saw half it was missing, as if it had fallen in. Sooo, I turned around and went to my normal wash station. When I arrived, it was full, so I went to one about 15 minutes away.

As I pulled in, it was vacant except for one other vehicle. I unloaded my supplies, and inserted $1.25 into the sprayer to rinse off my baby, specifically the driver's side which got blasted with grass from someone mowing and pointed the exhaust at the vehicles ( ). Before the cycle ended, I filled my buckets up with a gallon of water and my spray bottle with about 14 oz of water. Out comes my Z-7 carwash. 2 capfulls into the wash bucket, 1/2 cap into my sprayer. Dip the wash-mit into the rinse water, then soapy water. Scruby scruby (gently) over the entire car. Rinse with the sprayer (another $1.25). Dry with the Absorber (which works pretty good!). Then the fun part...

Grabbing my sprayer and my first claybar, I begin claying the vehicle, roof first. Spray about 1/4 the roof, glide the clay along. Mix the clay up, buff off with my 100% cotton towel ($20 at Bed Bath & Beyond). I had expected 0 lint since I washed the towel, but I got greeted with a large poof of white, fluffy lint. Frustrated, I go outside and shake the towel vigerously until no more lint flies into the air. Then back to spray, claybar until smooth (spray as needed), buff with towel. 2 hours later, it is getting too dark to see. I pack up my supplies ands head to McDonalds to grab a quick bite to eat, and head home.

I've still got some claybaring to go... both doors need it. I didn't get to them before it got dark. Then... it will be time for my first Zaino experience! Should I re-wash the car after claying tomorrow, or go straight into the Zaino?

And I'm happy to report the towel left no visible swirl marks, and the areas I've clayed feel as smooth as a baby's behind. 4 stars!
Old 9/10/06, 12:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On mine I washed after I used the clay bar. The sprayer leaves soap on your car once the water dries, at least it did for me. I wouldn't want to wax over that

My routine.
Wash
Clay bar in garage
Wash
Wax in garage

And if you've never used Zaino before (I hadn't) it's amazing how easy it comes off once it dries no effort needed. It takes about an ounce per coat to wax the car almost exactly. I'm gonna claybar my hood again tomorrow because I think I missed a couple spots and put another coat on her. I only got one on it now.
Old 9/10/06, 08:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Today I re-washed the car, then applied one coat of zaino (Z-2 + ZFX). As I wiped the zaino off, I followed with a spritz of Z-6. While the surface feels as smooth as glass, I can't really see a noticable difference in the sheen of my car. How many coats of zaino will it take to achieve a mirror gloss?
Old 9/10/06, 08:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

You should start seeing results after the first coat... the first time I put Zaino on, I did 1 coat Z5, then 3 coats Z2.

Not sure if it will make too much of a difference, but before you apply the first coat, it's recommended that you wash the car with Dawn, not with the Zaino car wash. The Dawn will clear the car of any wax/polish/rail dust/whatever on the finish, and help prepare it for the new polish (even though I'm sure you haven't waxed the car yourself, who knows what's on the surface).

I'd try one more coat of Z2... if you aren't seeing the results you think you should, you may want to go back to the drawing board with some Dawn, and start re-applying the Zaino.

From what I remember, I believe the Zaino car wash is designed to help protect the polish, so it may be actually be preventing the base coat of Z2 from achieving its full effect.