2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Error Code(P0506) - please help - Idle Control System RPM Lower Than Expected

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/06, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Error Code(P0506) - please help - Idle Control System RPM Lower Than Expected

Hello, my car is throwing a CEL again. It's a new error code, which is:

P0506 Idle Control System RPM Lower Than Expected

How can this be fixed, can a tune adjustment be done to fix this or what? Is this something that my tune isn't handling right?

I have an 05 Mustang GT, automatic transmission.

My mods are:

TBS - throttle body spacer
Steeda CAI w/ a Tune, 90mm
SLP Loudmouth exhaust
Kooks Long tube headers w/ catted x-pipe.

In that order of when I put things on.

Now someone mentioned this to me, let me know what everyone else's thoughts are:

quote:
I was getting the same code and tried everything to rule out the CIA or the filter the first dealer tried to blame the Code on. Took the car to a different Dealer and they replaced the Throtle Body , under warrenty, becuz it houses the Idle Control part. Been driving the car for two weeks no codes , so far.
Just remember to remove your CIA , if possible, becuz they will try to blame the problem or say VOID Warrenty due to your MODS.

Hey, I had the same problem and the Dealer replaced the Idle Control sensor , which meant replacing the entire throtle body. Just thought I tell you.

Good Luck.
Is that something I'm going to have to do? instead of just correcting this in a tune? I hope i odn't have to replace my throttle body, that would suck, plus, i don't know if I can get that under warranty, with all my mods, I mean, I do know i'll have to take out my CAI, but i don't want to do that.

anyway, does anybody know for sure what needs to be done? just a simple tune adjustment or replacing the idle control sensor?

Should I just take it to the dealership and have them look at it, even with my mods on?
Old 8/28/06, 11:36 AM

*bump
Old 8/28/06, 12:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Check under the Modifications threads. There are alot of people in there that could help.
Old 8/28/06, 01:06 PM
V6 Member

Contact your tuner and ask him if there is something on the tune that can trigger that or if he has seen it before. If you can't reach anybody then I would put your car to stock. Take off Intake and retune the comp with the stock tune and see if the CEL comes back on and if it does take it to the dealer and if it doesnt then there something wrong with the tune. Just my .02 Good Luck Man
Old 8/29/06, 07:06 AM

Thanks all!
Old 8/29/06, 01:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I have an 05 Mustang GT - Automatic and I ran into some issues. I have a C&L CAI and 93 oct tune from alternative auto. about a week ago my car shut off on me. finally got her started and used my Xcal 2 to scan for codes and gog the codes below. As you can see they all seem to be related to the throtle body. I am just wondering it seems like Dubl10 and I have sort of the same issue with the throtle body. Also the person that he quoted had the same issue. I wonder if this is a problem 05 auto GTs are developing. I have been running my tune for over 9 months and just recently this happened.

P2104 - Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Idle. Throttle actuator control system is in FMEM mode of forced idle.

P2111 - Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Open. PCM fault status indicates throttle plate is at a greater angle than commanded.
P2135 - ETC Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 1/2 Voltage Correlation. The PCM flagged a fault indicating that TP1 and TP2 disagree, or that TP1 should not be in it's present position given the position of TP2 unless a problem is present.
Old 8/30/06, 07:12 AM

yeah mine had just recently started happening too. And i've had the CAI and TBS on for awhile too.

It only started happening a few weeks after I had my headers installed.

Which by the way, I looked at what my car is idling at, and here it goes.

As soon as I start her up, the needle swings up high to 1500 RPM's. It sits there for about 10 seconds, and then it starts to come down to about 1,000.

When I'm driving it, and I come to a stop light, with my foot on the brake, it sits around 800 (can't tell for sure, but that's close, 750 - 900).

Then I checked what it would be when I was in park, just sitting there, when I got to work before turning the car off and it was at 1,000 (when in park).

Is this too high? Or is it too high maybe for what my tune is for, so the idle sensor is throwing that code, as in P0506 Idle Control System RPM Lower Than Expected
Old 8/31/06, 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

See my car does the same thing now, ever since it started stalling. Everytime I start the car now, it goes to about 1500 and stays there for about 10 seconds, then it goes down to a 1000, then if finally settles at 750 while parked.

The thing with me is, since my car would not start, after getting the codes, I erased them with my X-cal and the car ran fine for a while. However, after three days, it shut off on me again, however this time no codes just the CEL that went away after a couple of minutes.

Before taking the car to the dealership, I put back my stock intake and the stock tune. It shut off one more time on me while it was stock. Took it to the dealership, but since I had previously erased the DTCs with X-cal the dealership said that they found no codes and did not find the CEL either. All they could do was reset my computer and make sure everything was on correctly. Then they gave their standard line, that they could not reproduce the problem, therefore there is nothing wrong with the car