2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

End of an era. RIP Beast!

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/22, 04:00 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
Unhappy End of an era. RIP Beast!

Two weeks ago I was involved in a hit and run by a Fing F150. Happy New Year to me!!!
I was leaving a parking lot and the jerk came out of nowhere, didn't even slowed down (probably on the phone or not paying attention) and slammed right into me.
Backed his Fing truck up and took off.

I was devestated and heart broken. This is my first car and I had it since 2013 and I put so much work into it.
Cops did not bother to come cause there were no injuries but I had 3 witnesses which I added to my police report.

Insurance will scrap it and I cannot buy it back to fix it myself (I am in Canada and I asked)
Still waiting to see what the settlement will be so I can buy another one.

Today the tow truck finally came and took him away.
Ill miss you buddy, you've been really good to me, despite the few problems you had.

Last edited by VGMStudios; 1/19/22 at 04:02 PM.
Old 1/19/22, 05:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
dang, well that's a revolting development, sorry to hear that, lousy way to start the new year . . . . hope you get enough out of it to get another one, make sure they include the "pandemic premium" in the adjustment
The following 4 users liked this post by Bert:
akdoggie (1/28/22), m05fastbackGT (1/20/22), NC14GT (1/20/22), VGMStudios (1/19/22)
Old 1/19/22, 08:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Aw man. Sorry to hear.

I hope you can find... well, not a replacement, as that seems the wrong term, but at least a successor!
The following 2 users liked this post by houtex:
akdoggie (1/28/22), VGMStudios (1/21/22)
Old 1/20/22, 04:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
Truly sorry this happened. When I traded in my '06 with 200k miles after 15 years, I was a little sad, even though I was getting a much newer pony. The S197s were pretty good rides.

Here's hoping this unfortunate event marks the beginning of an new, fun adventure with your next Mustang.
The following users liked this post:
VGMStudios (1/21/22)
Old 1/20/22, 07:55 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,014 Likes on 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
dang, well that's a revolting development, sorry to hear that, lousy way to start the new year . . . . hope you get enough out of it to get another one, make sure they include the "pandemic premium" in the adjustment
X2. Used car prices are very high right now so make sure the company compensates you properly. You know they will charge you more with whatever replacement car you get. The excuse will be higher prices for cars. Works both ways.
The following 2 users liked this post by NC14GT:
m05fastbackGT (1/20/22), VGMStudios (1/21/22)
Old 1/20/22, 09:50 AM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Also very sorry to hear about your Mustang.. More than likely the person who backed into you was probably on his phone, not paying attention just as you said. Hopefully, one of the 3 witnesses got the plate number of the truck, and the driver responsible gets what he has coming for leaving the scene of an accident. Meanwhile, hope the insurance company comes through by compensating you fairly towards replacing your car

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/15/23 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Revised Text
VGMStudios (1/21/22)
Old 1/21/22, 10:13 AM

Thanks guys for all your kind words. I truly do appreciate it.

So the insurance came back with an offer and it is half for what I paid for the car initially. I paid 10k they are offering my 5k (Canadian) and there is no way I can buy something similar for that much.
So now I am going to have to fight for more.

Bert what did you mean by:
Originally Posted by Bert
make sure they include the "pandemic premium" in the adjustment
I wrote back to them and in my reply I mentioned:
"Seeing as we are still in a pandemic, the market value for Mustangs have gone up and getting one from within my city will be difficult as there is not a lot to choose from."
Did you mean something like this?
m05fastbackGT (1/22/22)
Old 1/21/22, 03:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
This is long, sorry, just tryin' to help, as I've seen both sides of this kind of thing... If I'm being 'captain obvious' about it, well, not everyone knows this stuff... and even I don't know it, but this is what I got.

Firstly I want to be sure you know that what you paid for the car whenever that was has zero bearing on what you'll get, so don't use that as any argument. It never works.

Second, they are not typically going to include any modifications like wheels, suspension, CAI, etc, ad nauseam as the policy is typically written as a 'direct stock replacement, current market value' valuation. So you can't use that. You might can if it were the other people, but if it's your full/uninsured motorist coverage, nope, stock market value same exact spec replacement car is the check you should get. There may be a small allowance for verified value of these kinds of mods, but typically you won't get it. Unless you had a 'stated value' rider on the policy, which should require you to get an appraisal... and other things that I'm not sure of may be in effect for such a rider, like limited miles and any changes or a year goes by, new appraisal, that kind of thing, and I'm sure you didn't have that happening.

Now, bear in mind I'm not any lawyer or insurance person, but I've been 'round the block on this kind of stuff, so... yeah. Also worked at dealerships with body shops. Saw this kind of stuff all the time. All insurance is about paying as little as possible to make more money. Always. For whatever kind of insurance. They do NOT care about you, they care about getting paid by a LOT of you and paying out to very few if not zero of you if possible, and if they have to pay, reduce the hit bigly.

Regarding mods: Any mods need to be considered 'lost'... or you can alternately go get them off the car as 'personal property' (think a jacket in the trunk), and return the car to stock. Wheels, tires, CAI, all the mods you can take off... IF you put the car in otherwise stock condition when doing it. The car must be complete when surrendered to the insurance. They will definitely frown upon the car being 'no wheel'ed, for example, and removing interior pieces is also not kosher. Believe me, working at the body shops and saying "hey, can I get those door panels from that totaled car?", and being told exactly what I just typed was enlightening, as the insurance company wants to part it out themselves. I didn't get the door panels, btw. Oh yeah, if you put in a sub box in the trunk, that's not part of the car, you can directly take that. But if it was a Shaker 1000, no, you have to leave that in the car.

Ok, so there ya go. Now you have homework. Do not take the offer... but do not take it based on facts, not feelings. Yes, your car is worth 2 million CAD, I get that. Awesome is to me as well, but in USD. But reality is a thing on this, feelings are to be set aside for facts and numbers. And to do that, you'll have to go get every stinkin' current market value for any and all similar V6 Mustang Coupes (in your case, based onthe picture) from '05-09 (and possibly '10 but....) from any and all sources around you possible. Ebay, Facebook, Craigslist, dealerships, Autotempest, Cars.com, Carmax... ANY of them. Try to get similar shape and miles. Also use KBB or NADA or other valuation services as well, you know what your car's mileage, condition, and options were. Remember, STOCK ONLY. No mods count, so don't add them, the insurance will deny them. It'll be better if it's your particular year, but bookends around that year work too, that'll 'range' the value nicely.

And after all the work, if you find that indeed the car's worth is what they're speaking... Your fight is probably over before it begins. Gonna have to (siphon with a great amount of negative pressure) it up and take the check.

But if not, then with all that research in hand fire a copy off to claims. Then also say that any more shenanigans may not allow you to be retained for the next vehicle, and/or any other service they may be providing you. Be nice about it, but make them understand this will not do. They may want to retain you and then work it out better if not outright exactly like they ought. And if you have an agent, definitely contact them directly to see what they might can do, and/or inform them of their status of no longer being your agent if the corporate side does you wrongly. The agent may help you out to keep you.

And then dump them anyway, 'cause this is total

Hope that helps. Good dang luck on the entire thing for sure!
Old 1/21/22, 06:40 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Some People suck end of story!! Sorry to read and see what happened to your pony! Next thing that sucks is insurance companies! I wish you nothing but luck and a bright future with hopefully another pony back in your stable.
VGMStudios (1/31/22)
Old 1/22/22, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by houtex
This is long, sorry, just tryin' to help, as I've seen both sides of this kind of thing... If I'm being 'captain obvious' about it, well, not everyone knows this stuff... and even I don't know it, but this is what I got.

Firstly I want to be sure you know that what you paid for the car whenever that was has zero bearing on what you'll get, so don't use that as any argument. It never works.

Second, they are not typically going to include any modifications like wheels, suspension, CAI, etc, ad nauseam as the policy is typically written as a 'direct stock replacement, current market value' valuation. So you can't use that. You might can if it were the other people, but if it's your full/uninsured motorist coverage, nope, stock market value same exact spec replacement car is the check you should get. There may be a small allowance for verified value of these kinds of mods, but typically you won't get it. Unless you had a 'stated value' rider on the policy, which should require you to get an appraisal... and other things that I'm not sure of may be in effect for such a rider, like limited miles and any changes or a year goes by, new appraisal, that kind of thing, and I'm sure you didn't have that happening.

Now, bear in mind I'm not any lawyer or insurance person, but I've been 'round the block on this kind of stuff, so... yeah. Also worked at dealerships with body shops. Saw this kind of stuff all the time. All insurance is about paying as little as possible to make more money. Always. For whatever kind of insurance. They do NOT care about you, they care about getting paid by a LOT of you and paying out to very few if not zero of you if possible, and if they have to pay, reduce the hit bigly.

Regarding mods: Any mods need to be considered 'lost'... or you can alternately go get them off the car as 'personal property' (think a jacket in the trunk), and return the car to stock. Wheels, tires, CAI, all the mods you can take off... IF you put the car in otherwise stock condition when doing it. The car must be complete when surrendered to the insurance. They will definitely frown upon the car being 'no wheel'ed, for example, and removing interior pieces is also not kosher. Believe me, working at the body shops and saying "hey, can I get those door panels from that totaled car?", and being told exactly what I just typed was enlightening, as the insurance company wants to part it out themselves. I didn't get the door panels, btw. Oh yeah, if you put in a sub box in the trunk, that's not part of the car, you can directly take that. But if it was a Shaker 1000, no, you have to leave that in the car.

Ok, so there ya go. Now you have homework. Do not take the offer... but do not take it based on facts, not feelings. Yes, your car is worth 2 million CAD, I get that. Awesome is to me as well, but in USD. But reality is a thing on this, feelings are to be set aside for facts and numbers. And to do that, you'll have to go get every stinkin' current market value for any and all similar V6 Mustang Coupes (in your case, based onthe picture) from '05-09 (and possibly '10 but....) from any and all sources around you possible. Ebay, Facebook, Craigslist, dealerships, Autotempest, Cars.com, Carmax... ANY of them. Try to get similar shape and miles. Also use KBB or NADA or other valuation services as well, you know what your car's mileage, condition, and options were. Remember, STOCK ONLY. No mods count, so don't add them, the insurance will deny them. It'll be better if it's your particular year, but bookends around that year work too, that'll 'range' the value nicely.

And after all the work, if you find that indeed the car's worth is what they're speaking... Your fight is probably over before it begins. Gonna have to (siphon with a great amount of negative pressure) it up and take the check.

But if not, then with all that research in hand fire a copy off to claims. Then also say that any more shenanigans may not allow you to be retained for the next vehicle, and/or any other service they may be providing you. Be nice about it, but make them understand this will not do. They may want to retain you and then work it out better if not outright exactly like they ought. And if you have an agent, definitely contact them directly to see what they might can do, and/or inform them of their status of no longer being your agent if the corporate side does you wrongly. The agent may help you out to keep you.

And then dump them anyway, 'cause this is total

Hope that helps. Good dang luck on the entire thing for sure!
This

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Some People suck end of story!! Sorry to read and see what happened to your pony! Next thing that sucks is insurance companies! I wish you nothing but luck and a bright future with hopefully another pony back in your stable.
This with as well
Old 1/23/22, 08:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts
Sorry to hear about your stang. I hope the witnesses got the plate or something to help you out. That person who just like you and everyone else said probably was on the phone sucks. I was in a similar situation two years ago but the stupid idiot didnt know I lived on the same block as him. Hope you get some better results out of the insurance. Good luck.
VGMStudios (1/31/22)
Old 2/8/22, 12:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I'm sorry that you lost your baby John. I'm sure you will find a sister/brother Mustang to replace it down the road. Other than that, I hope all else is well over there on the other side of Canada from me.
VGMStudios (2/17/22)
Old 2/27/22, 02:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Ohhhhhhh nooooooooo!! (tuned in late but still shocked!)

@VGMStudios how did it all turn out with the insurance? What do you plan to do now? You've been one of the "survivors" on this forum and it will be sad if you go.
VGMStudios (2/27/22)
Old 2/27/22, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Ohhhhhhh nooooooooo!! (tuned in late but still shocked!)

@VGMStudios how did it all turn out with the insurance? What do you plan to do now? You've been one of the "survivors" on this forum and it will be sad if you go.

@mrkabc Thanks man. I am not going anywhere.
After a month and a half of insurance hell, calling virtually everyday, being told someone will "call me", and never do, I finally had enough and filed a complaint with thier complaint department. I got the run around there too for a while but finally a manager there picked up my case cause it went by his desk two to three times, so he fast tracked my claim and I finally got a good settlement offer since their first one was a complete joke.
So once I get the actually money Ill be hunting down another Mustang.
I want to try to see if I can get a 05-09 GT this time since I already have all my upgrade parts for that years.
I thought of getting a used 2010+ but the parts wont fit.
The following 4 users liked this post by VGMStudios:
akdoggie (2/27/22), houtex (2/28/22), m05fastbackGT (2/28/22), NC14GT (2/28/22)
Old 2/28/22, 01:00 PM

Thanks for following up and very pleased the insurance company finally came through with a good settlement offer. Hopefully, you'll be able to track down an 05-09 GT and back on the road ASAP
VGMStudios (2/28/22)