2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Drove an '05 - someone from another board...

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/04, 07:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally posted by Robert@July 25, 2004, 9:19 PM
Yeah, but Nikons rule!
-No, Canon rules. j/k - I'm happy w/ my ZR45MC & A75
Old 7/25/04, 07:37 PM

I just read the exclusive interview with the guy who designed the '05 Mustang... an interesting thought came into my head. What if the car is a bit too refined? I mean, if it doesn't rattle and smoke and stuff because it's "all ate up with motor," does it maybe feel a little slower to this guy? If you take two cars with exact performance numbers, but one makes you feel like you're on the seat of your pants more than the other...

It reminds me of a Car & Driver comparision between a 911 turbo, a ferrari, and an aston martin. They actually rated the 911 turbo lower than the ferrari because it was too easy to drive to the limits, too forgiving. THe car had superior numbers, but they argued that it's not an exhilirating ride when even your grandmother could drive the car as well as you... does any of that make sense, or has my key lime pie for dessert rotted my brain?
Old 7/25/04, 08:10 PM
Cobra Member

Canon > *
Old 7/25/04, 08:17 PM
GT Member

Sony - Point and Shoot, TONS for fun features (nightshot/nightframing baby!)

Canon - SLR
Old 7/25/04, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

No, Canon rules. j/k - I'm happy w/ my ZR45MC & A75
Canon > *
Sony - Point and Shoot, TONS for fun features (nightshot/nightframing baby!)

Canon - SLR
Ahhhh, never has...never will.

Ladies and gentlemen, meet the Nikon D2H...

Old 7/25/04, 09:10 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
So...back to mustangs...
Old 7/25/04, 09:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Liked the GTO interior, and the way the 350 drives?

Hes one of the cobra guys that hates the idea of a new mustang. An 00 Saleen? Thats all I need to hear to dismiss it completely.
Old 7/25/04, 09:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Decipher@July 25, 2004, 2:46 AM
Wow. You people are just as biased as him, and just as "bad" (if not worse) for being so. I read it and thought it was a fair assessment. The cars weren't really comparable to begin with (the GT and 550Z) since they're different classes and different sizes. The size was the reason the Z felt quicker. Compare going 20mph in a nice go cart to 20mph in a big old Caddillac. You'd be pretty bored in the Caddy, but the go-cart would be a blast. An exaggerated comparison, but you get the point.

As for his thoughts on the interior, I can see where he's coming from. The guages, dials, buttons, etc. are indeed bigger than on most sports cars, but it's all a matter of taste in the end.

As for drivability, I would believe that the Z and others (with the exception of the woefully underpowered RX-8) are better handlers etc. The GTO has been proven as a great ride, with the only quam being "ho-hum" styling. The Z is a tight little car. It's a great roadster and Nissan fine tuned it to be so.

Take in to consideration that the Mustang he drove (if he even really did) was a PRE-PRODUCTION MODEL. Any feedback Ford gets would be implimented before it becomes commercially available.

So what I'm saying here is CHILL OUT PEOPLE. We don't know if it's credible for one, and also we have to realize that WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT PEOPLE FROM DIFFERENT BACKGROUNDS WITH DIFFERENT TASTES. I mean come on, it's not like he's insulting your first born. It's just a car you happen to really like. If he doesn't like it, that's him. You go and buy one anyway.

"CAN I GET DEFENSIVE GUYS BLINDED BY LOYALTY FOR 1000 ALEX?"
Well, its all relative. Ive driven a Z, and do not really think of it as any type of stellar performer in any regard, It does everything kinda-sorta ok. Its definately a case of styling over substance, and like just about every Nissan product out right now it follows the status quo of their entire product line's styling and becomes tired quickly. I come from the gen that had the true Japaneese all-out performers we ran against each other at night-the 90-95 era of RX7 TT's Supras 300ZXTT's. They were not cheap either, they ran about 34k/54k/35k in 1993 dollars. The 350z is a half-hearted attempt versus the originals that ended up pricing themselves out of the market here.

It is the Metrosexual car of the year, taking the title from Mini who took it from Beetle..........and it is the new ricer icon. :worship:

Its also hard to compare Mustangs without track numbers between 04 and 05. The current car is extremely crude and it is a nervous car that borders on mental overload trying to round a track. You THINK you are going super-fast because it takes so much concentration, but then you stack up the numbers against other cars running or get blown past by a less powerfull car and its a rude awakening. I kinda stay passive about all the cobra/z06 threads, but if you watch them at an autocross, a stang going around looking like its "tearing it up" finishes its run and the fastest one doesnt even come close to the slowest C5's. Im sure it FELT fast driving it though. I think some of the mentallity was predisposed to drive the other 'different' cars, and then compare 04-05 mustangs. You need to put it perspective as being changed enough you need to stop thinking about it as even being a Ford product to compare it if you OWN a mustang now.

I think its a good sign he thinks its slower then the current car, because the current car feels MUCH faster then it really is.

I am always open-minded driving cars, unlike some people who write "reviews' on the forums that are predisposed to like only cars that dont 'threaten' what they drive. I also understand my cars shortcomings as well. I still think the entire thing is
Old 7/25/04, 09:44 PM
Cobra Member

Just caught the fact that the 350Z is a 14 second car, my VW can hit the 1/4 in 15 secs...hehe...

Ya, ok I got a little sensitive with the Ford Fanboy comment, but my Gramps worked on the first Stang, so its in my blood...no offense meant, none taken...

I find bdunosk's thinking intriguing. It might be like the Porsche v Ferrari test, where the Porsche basically can be pushed very easily and with little 'scare factor' to the edge, where as a Ferrari will put the fear of apexes into ya. I'm guessing this might be the case for the GTO v Mustang, the Mustang being a much more refined and easyily handled car.

As for the GTO, just learned from Car and Driver that the GTO will die out after the 2007/8 model year...
Old 7/25/04, 09:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by FrankBullitt05@July 25, 2004, 10:47 PM
Just caught the fact that the 350Z is a 14 second car, my VW can hit the 1/4 in 15 secs...hehe...

Ya, ok I got a little sensitive with the Ford Fanboy comment, but my Gramps worked on the first Stang, so its in my blood...no offense meant, none taken...

I find bdunosk's thinking intriguing. It might be like the Porsche v Ferrari test, where the Porsche basically can be pushed very easily and with little 'scare factor' to the edge, where as a Ferrari will put the fear of apexes into ya. I'm guessing this might be the case for the GTO v Mustang, the Mustang being a much more refined and easyily handled car.

As for the GTO, just learned from Car and Driver that the GTO will die out after the 2007/8 model year...
I believe they are doing a GM-USA version of the GTO by then. This is yet another 'caryover to make something happen" rather then spend money on it by developing something. Its the same as the silly Canyon pickup that was brought in from south america, where the motor bay wont fit anything other then 4cyl and 5cyl :scratch: DUH!!! Not to mention the lamest car in recent years, the Caddy Catera(but they did develop the CTS within a few years though). I am still not 100% convinced the new Cobalt is anything other then a Scion TC rebody, although no one will say it(its NEW! ) GM is stuck on the high seas without a rudder these days, what a passionless company. "JUST KEEP SHOVING THE 350 IN IT" its about all they can come up with. Theyve been doing that since the 1960's(witht the SAME engine). They seem to think that HP will save their company. Chrysler and Ford are definately trying to inspire americans. WTF is up with 210mph supercars at Ford dealerships!? :shock:

I actually LIKE the Pontiac Monaro, I just think they were dumb to market it under another nameplate. I think the nuts of it make for a sophisticated package. Everyone is so darn busy comparing them to mustangs for some reason though I have yet to drive one yet(let alone SEE one), but I will when I get a chance. I dont judge the likeability of a vehicle because of 1/4 mile times. If you are dumb enough to just sit around all day and think of what cars go faster then you will just end up miserable with every car you own. I could give two-sh#$'s wether or not a GTO or an EVO is faster then my car.
Old 7/25/04, 10:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't think we even GET the Pontiac (Holden) GTO here in Canada.
Old 7/25/04, 10:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Blah, Blah, Blah! I'll wait to make my own Judgement next month in Orlando, when I get to go to the Ford Innovation Drive, and Actually get behind the wheel of the 05 My self! (yes I've been told, and The Ford Rep at Legends Field Confirmed it, the 05 Stang will be there, along with the 500, and Freestyle)

I think this guy is Full of Bull KAKA!(boomer-> :nono
( The kind of experience he is talking about is usually just a Consumer Clinic, used to guage peoples reactions to style. No One ever gets to drive these cars. He refered to the IUP's "Genuine Aluminum Dash" as "Faux Aluminum", Hello I sat in the Thing at Legends Field and all you had to do was touch it to tell it was the Real Deal!

As for the GTO (Cavalier...Cough, Cough) I saw a Silver one sitting on the parkway at our local Pontiac Dealer the other day and seriously thought it was a Cavalier or Lumina, I had to do a double take to make sure it really was a GTO. I'm Sorry but the car just looks LAME. I do like the Interior styling though.

As for the 350Z, it is a nice car and all, but it's starting to look a little out of date in the front to me. I really Loved this Car when it came out but after seing the Stang in the Flesh, there's NO COMPARISON! The only comparison I could possibly make would be the feeling you get sitting in the two of them, and that only has to do with the High Beltline, and Shallow Side Windows.

And lastly, the RX8? Please? This car is such a Joke compared to the last RX7. It's Full of Gimmic's, and it's just trying to be cool. The Real problem with it is it's size, it's TINY! I don't see any competition with the Mustang, Maybe a Saturn Ion.
Old 7/26/04, 03:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Robert@July 25, 2004, 9:20 PM
Nope. Doesn't pass certain requirements (Not sure which though).
Old 7/26/04, 05:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by bdunosk@July 24, 2004, 9:39 PM
Though he drives a c5, he said that he didn't let it skew his impression of the GT,
I wouldn't believe a word this guy says .... This said it all for me .... There are very few and rare exceptions when a Corvette driver will say something nice about a Mustang.

He doesn't even know what a Mustang is supposed to be.

It has been kind of slow here lately. I think someone made this up to stir up the blood again ..... What this really means is that the new Mustang is going to be great and be the best car ..period
Old 7/26/04, 06:01 AM
Cobra Member

I want to hear what you guys "really" think of your 2005 Mustang GT after you have driven it for awhile. I know everybody is going to love it, as soon as you get it. So, I want to get your real feelings!

I spoke to guy who got to drive 2005 Mustang GT on Media Day. He said it handled well, the styling is great, and it felt like a mid-13's quarter mile car. He also said that we will not be disappointed!

As far as the GTO goes, my friend has one, it is nice. Good Power. Too bad GM called it a GTO though. Nothing really special about it. Interior is nice, but not great.

C5 Corvette: A couple of my friends have the car. I have driven them a lot. Nice, but over rated!! Interior looks cheap! I wouldn't spend big money for it!!

New C6 Corvette: My company is involved with it. GM is having major problems with the Transmission, and there are cracks in certain areas of the car ( Fiber glass ).
Old 7/26/04, 06:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

the GTO has the same A/C controls as the 1998 Alfa Romeo GTV a friend of mine owns... ugly.
Old 7/26/04, 06:36 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Decipher+July 26, 2004, 4:49 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Decipher @ July 26, 2004, 4:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Robert@July 25, 2004, 9:20 PM
Nope. Doesn't pass certain requirements (Not sure which though). [/b][/quote]
Boomer said something about the bumpers..

same reason we can't get the Ford GT up here... (although I could not come close to buying one)
Old 7/26/04, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by bdunosk@July 24, 2004, 9:39 PM
Wow, the hostility! :P I wasn't sure how this would be received here, but I do think he meant it as honest criticism.

It is his opinion, of course... <snip> Though he drives a c5, he said that he didn't let it skew his impression of the GT, but I just don't see how it could not have.
Sorry I am going to have to make a blunt call on this guy's opinion: Bullpoo. :notnice:

Reading between the lines he's a huge fan of Chevy's pushrod corvette engine :worship: Notice folks, while he bashes appearance of the new Mustang, he raves about the GTO's power BUT not once mentioned that this GM crap is the ugliest GTO in history

It's a highly biased opinion not worth the bandwidth it takes up. Disregard, discard in trash :flame2:
Old 7/26/04, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by Rakshas@July 25, 2004, 6:49 PM
Just to stick up for the 350z.

The 350z is a very accomplished sports car in it's own right. It is a 13.9-14.2 car stock. But this car was not made for the strip. With perfect 50/50 Fr weight distro and aerodynamic styling(I believe drag is a mere .29) it is a car designed for the track. On a track a 350z can hang with e46 M3's , now unless we are saying the new mustang Is going to be an M3 killer, we should give the 350z It's due respect.

Also the 350z is in many peoples opinions one of the sexiest cars in recent years.
Exactly, 350Z, sexy and way too feminine for my taste. :notnice:

It's like comparing bikini clad, 350Z, hottie against a muscle bound, '05-GT, body builder.

Notice folks, just like the original author, I am not bashing but merely exersizing my constitutional right to express my honest opinion

Ohh yea, about the new GTO...what GTO? Looks like grand pops aging runabout powered by a souped up camaro engine

EDIT: I can't believe not one of you ever commented about this. A chest beating Pontiac powered by Camaro Are we suffering from amnesia here? If you're going to call a goat a goat it better look like one!!!
Old 7/26/04, 09:00 AM
GT Member

Each to his/her own. :stubborn:

I, for one, am very excited about the Legend Lime color!!! :spin:

Then again, Titanium Silver and 18s in 06 are very tempting!!! :w00t:

Quick Reply: Drove an '05 - someone from another board...