2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Drove an '05 - someone from another board...

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/04, 12:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and that is your opinion which you are more than entitled to! Honest opinions are good things.
Old 7/25/04, 02:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by bdunosk+July 25, 2004, 12:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bdunosk @ July 25, 2004, 12:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-428CJ@July 25, 2004, 10:52 AM
The GTO is not ugly..You are the only person in the world that thinks so..It's bland yes..A bland but clean design.

As far as the guys comments, are we supposed to except everything we hear, and accept it as fact?

Lets think about the "article." First, it's not an article, but a post on the message board. First thing we learn, is there is nothing to back his claims up.

Second, he is telling us, this 14 second 350Z, feels much quicker, than a 300HP car, with an estimated 3400lb weight.

Third, he is saying this car cannot handle, despite what other "reviews" have said, as well as Ford Motor Company PROMISING this car will handle...Something doesn't seem right.

This guy can critisize the interior all he wants...I never complained about that. He has seen it, and if he thinks it cheap, or ugly..I couldn't careless, maybe he's right...But I am not going to take such an "article" serious, when it's coming from not a real reporter, but some internet poster. Second, we have so much evidence, that all he is saying is NOT true.

I'll give you this, what he is saying could be true, but NOTHING that we have heard backs up anything he said. I'll wait until someone with some CREDIBILITY tests this vehicle, or until I can drive it myself.

"CAN I GET, "I ACCEPT EVERYTHING I HEAR AS FACT FOR 2000 ALEX?"
I think your arguments stand for both sides of the issue...

The last testimony I would believe is that coming from Ford's marketing department. They can promise that it will make my gas smell like roses to sell more cars... so of course they're going to say that it was designed to handle well. We'll only know for ourselves when the '05's are on the lot and available for test drives. And even more important, we'll know for ourselves if this car truly is the next one we'll buy or not. I really think that's all that matters - if you sit in the car and realize that there is nothing about it that works for you, are you still going to shell out $25,000+ because Ford told you it's the best?

Again, who knows who this guy really is... someone on the message board corroborated that he's a guy who has owned / modified high performance sports cars. Could they both be a couple of 10 year old punks pulling the wool over our eyes? Who knows... [/b][/quote]
You are right...A company would probably say anything to sell more cars, but promising a car will perform a certain way, and then NOT delivering, is not the way to do it. Ford has promised it will handle, and we know they are dedicated to making it handle. We already know the cars they test it against...BMW 3 Series, (funny the "article" forgot that car, why didn't he drive a 3?) RX8, GTO, and 350Z. Just because they say it will handle does not mean it does of course, but we know they are trying to make it handle....
Old 7/25/04, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by 428CJ@July 25, 2004, 2:45 PM
You are right...A company would probably say anything to sell more cars, but promising a car will perform a certain way, and then NOT delivering, is not the way to do it. Ford has promised it will handle, and we know they are dedicated to making it handle. We already know the cars they test it against...BMW 3 Series, (funny the "article" forgot that car, why didn't he drive a 3?) RX8, GTO, and 350Z. Just because they say it will handle does not mean it does of course, but we know they are trying to make it handle....
Well, it's not even an article... he never says that, it's just a post from a message board. But I hope you're right, that it's a complete package and does the best it can for the price.

Even a BMW 3-series is going to cost significantly more than the Mustang GT... someone asked about the Crossfire SRT-6 in a post, and that's priced in the Corvette range. The fact of the matter is you cannot expect a cheaper car to compete with more expensive ones -- if it's better for less money, you better believe they'll either be in extremely short supply or the price will be jacked up.
Old 7/25/04, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

BTW, I don't think it'll handle better than the 3 Series, and they haven't said it will either..It just shows, they are dedicated it toward that goal. Without IRS, it simply cannot be as good as the 3 Series...Now the SVT on the other hand...
Old 7/25/04, 03:22 PM
Cobra Member

The interior of the GTO is gorgous. The leather just hugs your butt and says... nooo.. don't leave.. sit here and drive me!! I'd love to have one.. but that sticker price... OUCH!!
Old 7/25/04, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Ya I know! I got to sit in one and rev the engine, but they wouldn't lemme drive it.
Old 7/25/04, 04:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

and whats with the ford fanboy hating???last i checked this is umm.......a mustang site yeah. okay. i never said either of the cars stinked and dont bash anything whole heartedly. i like the 350Z though i like the G35 Coupe's styling more. the GTO is a good car doomed to be produced by GM. anything that has 350HP nice interior and can move is good in my category. and i dont take anything i hear w/o a grain of salt. i was just in a bad mood and the guy gave me something to lash out! every car built has its good an bad points.
Old 7/25/04, 04:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I test drove a GTO today, just because I've wanted to drive one since it was introduced. While the styling is bland IMO, and most other's opinions, it is a great car to drive. There is not much doubt as to what the LS1 engine can do. The interior was high quality with great seats. The exhaust rumble was very nice, and the car drove great. It was a very solid car. I can see why this individual would rate it high.

But, the car's stlying is bland, which is why I wouldn't get one. It's also not a Mustang.

I'm confindent the new Mustang will be great, and I can't wait until mine arrives. I could care less about this individual's subjective comments about the car, i.e. the gauges being too big for his liking, and his dislike for the exterior size and styling. I've seen the car twice and sat in it. It looks great to me.

As for his driving criticism, he gave specifics as to what he didn't like, which I respect. His standards might be higher than mine, but I'm confident it will drive great, especially compare to the current GT. I'll withold judgement until I drive it.
Old 7/25/04, 04:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow you guys interpret things how you want, don't you. I never said ANYTHING about hating fanboys. I'm a Mustang fanboy myself.

All I said was don't be so quick to dismiss this guys OPINIONS. He has some very valid points as well as some very invalid points, but in the end it's all OPINION. If you like it, buy it. If you don't like it, then don't buy it. All I'm saying is to not trash people for their OPINIONS.

You live in a "free country" and yet you seem to hate the fact that people can have a different OPINION than you. That's pretty hypocritical.

If you can't tell, I'm trying to emphasize that everything posted in that article/post is an OPINION, not a cold hard fact that applies to everybody on the planet. bdunosk even said in his post before the quoting to take it with a grain of salt.
Old 7/25/04, 04:40 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Not that he is wrong... I can sense that he is very biased. Not that you can have an unbiased writer, but this guy sounds like he's straight off of gminsidenews.com forums.
Old 7/25/04, 05:15 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really think we should reserve judgement until more reviews of this car come out...

There are people that might not like it, but are the people that wouldn't like Mustangs anyways,

This car is leaps and bounds ahead of the 2004
Old 7/25/04, 05:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree with Decipher, whoever this guy is (who tested the car), he IS entitled to his opinions. Regardless what he says, it's relevance to the continuity of THE GREATEST car of all time, and it's affect on the actual car is worthless, although to some here, it would seem not. I disagree with his opinion. That is MY opinion, but he or anybody else doesn't have to accept it. Anyways, the '05 Mustang is going to be great, and even if there were the slightest chance of it not being so, we'd just have to live with it. Look at the 74-78 era. I personally would dismiss that portion of mustang history from existence if possible. I mean who would want a mustang dubbed "MPG". But yeah, I'm sure the '05 will be just fine, Nathan
Old 7/25/04, 05:25 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Galaxie@July 25, 2004, 7:18 PM
I really think we should reserve judgement until more reviews of this car come out...

There are people that might not like it, but are the people that wouldn't like Mustangs anyways,

This car is leaps and bounds ahead of the 2004
Yup.

Also, you can read all the T/D writeups you want, but the best way to judge a car is to test drive it yourself.
Old 7/25/04, 05:30 PM
Bullitt Member

He did bring up a good point to me. I would like to see a picture of the 'stang w/ say the 350Z side by side. I'd like to see how they compare in size and looks. I think it would make for a good comparison

Oh and I seriously hope he was lying about the power. This car has loads of hype, it better perform.
Old 7/25/04, 05:47 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by t69r00p69@July 25, 2004, 7:33 PM
He did bring up a good point to me. I would like to see a picture of the 'stang w/ say the 350Z side by side. I'd like to see how they compare in size and looks. I think it would make for a good comparison

Oh and I seriously hope he was lying about the power. This car has loads of hype, it better perform.
From what we've heard, it has plenty of go. Even in the trilogy vid, it layed huge stripes up that hill.
Old 7/25/04, 05:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

That review is a bunch of poo!!! :notnice: :nono: :notnice: :nono: :notnice:
Old 7/25/04, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Just to stick up for the 350z.

The 350z is a very accomplished sports car in it's own right. It is a 13.9-14.2 car stock. But this car was not made for the strip. With perfect 50/50 Fr weight distro and aerodynamic styling(I believe drag is a mere .29) it is a car designed for the track. On a track a 350z can hang with e46 M3's , now unless we are saying the new mustang Is going to be an M3 killer, we should give the 350z It's due respect.

Also the 350z is in many peoples opinions one of the sexiest cars in recent years.
Old 7/25/04, 06:46 PM
GT Member

Decipher, you are right about opinions. It is his opinion and he is entitled to it. BUT, as much as a Ford/Mustang Fanboy as I am, I would not be interested at ALL in the new Mustang if it looked like the GTO or the 350Z. I would rather get a SN95 Cobra. It's all about my personal opinion, just as this POST was.

My feeling, however, is that for every one of us that feels the need to dismiss this article, there is another person out there blindly believing that his opinions are fact. People as we all know, can act kind of like a herd of animals when in numbers, following each other blindly. In most cases this is due to trends or pressure from other people.

I experienced this often working in sales. I couldn't tell you how many people would blindly pick a camera because one guy they say on the street had one and it "looked cool" or he said "it worked great". If done properly SOME people can be very easily convinced of something and once convinced may not be as open as they were before. In my case it was cameras. If you offer one that is truly better by ACTUAL RESULTS, if it’s cheaper, they complain that it seems cheap, and if it’s more expensive, they attack you, thinking that you get commission, even if you work at a lousy blue and yellow nightmare of a place and don’t get anything for what you sell. (Sorry about that rant, it might just be the individual store I worked at.)

YES, being a die hard Ford fan, as I have said many times, I BLEED BLUE AND IT DRIPS OUT IN OVALS. I want Ford to prosper. BUT, I am not out there writing bad reviews about cars I don't like, even though I, as well as others, are entitled to do so. I don't want to try to impose my opinion on people, ESPECIALLY a crowd that might take offense to it. I have a feeling that Decipher, of all people could back me up there.

I think this whole thing may just be someone that is out to shake things up a bit. Keep a period that is lacking new info busy. Maybe try to create some heated debates... throw a little chaos into all the boards it works its way into.

No matter what anyone tells me, I will always love the styling of this car, inside and out. Perfect? No… Awesome? Yes… The performance of it? I’ll just have to wait and see. As it is now, even if it happens to be slow off the line or weak at breaking, it blows away the performance of my 1993 Jeep Wrangler.
Old 7/25/04, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Dan+July 25, 2004, 5:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dan @ July 25, 2004, 5:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-t69r00p69@July 25, 2004, 7:33 PM

From what we've heard, it has plenty of go. Even in the trilogy vid, it layed huge stripes up that hill.[/b][/quote]
Yeah, but again, that could just be marketing hype. It ain't no puzzle to add CG FX to a movie, after all!

As to comparing the GTO and Mustang? My observations, for what they're worth:

1. Exterior build quality looks comparable. While I like the front grille of the GTO, it's too slab-sided; reminiscent of cars from the late 80s and early 90s. Plain and boring.

2. Interior build quality, frankly, looks more upscale on the GTO than the Stang...which pisses me off to no end! But, to be fair, workmanship looks better...richer plastics...smoother more contoured and integrated angles...more upscale-looking radio...more creature comforts...more Recaro-ish seats that also look richer. Pay particular attention to how the center stack cascades into the center console on the GTO - much more upscale IMHO.

Judge for yourselves with the marketing pics from both companies:

Old 7/25/04, 07:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Romero@July 25, 2004, 6:49 PM
I experienced this often working in sales. I couldn't tell you how many people would blindly pick a camera because one guy they say on the street had one and it "looked cool" or he said "it worked great". If done properly SOME people can be very easily convinced of something and once convinced may not be as open as they were before. In my case it was cameras. If you offer one that is truly better by ACTUAL RESULTS, if it’s cheaper, they complain that it seems cheap, and if it’s more expensive, they attack you...
Yeah, but Nikons rule!

Quick Reply: Drove an '05 - someone from another board...