2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Drove an '05 - someone from another board...

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/04, 02:25 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

As a guy that had his heart set on a C6 instead of the Mustang earlier in the year (@ the time the cons on both cars were the C6's headlights and the Mustangs side windows -which have grown on me over time) was hoping the GTO was the middle ground between Chevy's #1 performance car vs. Ford's #2 and possibly #3 if the Shelby Cobra is made... performance care (Mustang Cobra does not count because I do not count a Z06) I test drove the GTO and was totally disapointed with 90% of the car. -I could not break the rear end lose... the power there but wanted dual exhaust that was split... Certain charater features were not present unless they are going for the plain Jane look. (the 1st gen. cars were based on the Tempest [plain Jane's mother] -I think - not an Opel...) Keep in mind I'm comparing a car I've sat in (GTO) vs. seen only in pictures (Mustang) and I highly doubt the interiors will be on the same level... I prefer the interior of my Saturn ION 3 over the GTO -hey GM plastic is still GM plastic Sure the leather is nice, but that color pack to match the gauges to the seats just doesn't do it for me... I don't know, maybe it's just me, I expected more for $33k :scratch:
Old 7/25/04, 04:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

What's irritating me most is that he's talking about faux aluminum in the dash, while it's actually real aluminum...
Old 7/25/04, 04:39 AM
GT Member

The GTO was the best of the group...Gorgeous interior highlighted by really high quality materials.
Yeah, He's HIGH all right.
Old 7/25/04, 04:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

He disliked it so much yet he gives it a "7"? I would doubt that Ford will ever invite him back for a test drive with so much negativity expressed. I would think he would have given it a "2". Two questions; Who is this guy? What are his qualifications for evaluatiing sports cars?

Without any backgound on the person who wrote the article it has zero credibility.
Lets not be so gullible folks.
Old 7/25/04, 05:04 AM
GT Member

I'm still cofused by this guy...did he not mention he owned a 00' Saleen?
Old 7/25/04, 06:05 AM
V6 Member

strawberries! I hate strawberries!
Old 7/25/04, 06:06 AM
V6 Member

no, your all wrong! BANANAS!

Old 7/25/04, 06:11 AM
GT Member

Here's my question... On this site it was taken from another site...so we all looked at the other site, and that was taken from another site...starting to sound like an urban legend to me...And I was of the same opinion that the guy was a mustang guy, did I miss the c5 comment as well?

Sounds more like jealousy rearing its ugly head...he talks so wonderfully about the 350...and even says he's very familiar with them...WHY...is he upset because he owns one and it's too late to dump and buy an 05???

That's just my thought...
Old 7/25/04, 06:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

I've test drove a 350z roadster I personally like the looks but I didn't think the steering wheel or steering feel was up to par. plus have you seen the glove box on the Z Its behind the passenger seat! The GTO is to plain jane ext. Interior I like the red guages. but most of us have seen the comparison actual comparison in the mags between the Mach 1
and the GTO. And if I'm not mistaken the GTO and the 350z are both heavier than the mustang.
Old 7/25/04, 07:19 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 428CJ@July 24, 2004, 10:49 PM
This is my post over at Fordpower in response to the review...

http://www.fordpower.net/forums/showpost.p...499&postcount=6
As said in a PM to you there... pay nooooooooo mind what a lot of the morons over there say.
Old 7/25/04, 07:40 AM

I got the post from offtopic.com, and that's really the extent of how I know this guy. That is, I don't... maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong. Only time will tell.

Think about this, too - except for the RX8, a fully loaded GT is going to cost around $4000 less than either the 350z and GTO. Like others pointed out, the GT has a backseat, the 350z does not. So you're not really comparing identical cars... but I'm sure you'll see cars compared like this in the magazines since people will wonder how they stack up against each other.

I think the fact that he gave it a 7 (out of 10, I'm assuming) bodes well... despite all his criticism, he still thought the Mustang was a pretty darned good car - even compared to cars much more expensive than it, in a pre-production comparo.
Old 7/25/04, 08:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm assuming this was a Ford focus group since the '05 Mustang was involved. I'm curious about the fact that Ford would put the '05 up against one of it's own cars (the RX-8). It's seem natural to put it up against competitors from other brands but not one of its siblings. Can anyone enlighten me as to whether that is normal practice in these types of focus groups?
Old 7/25/04, 08:49 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Decipher@July 25, 2004, 1:46 AM
Wow. You people are just as biased as him, and just as "bad" (if not worse) for being so. I read it and thought it was a fair assessment. The cars weren't really comparable to begin with (the GT and 550Z) since they're different classes and different sizes. The size was the reason the Z felt quicker. Compare going 20mph in a nice go cart to 20mph in a big old Caddillac. You'd be pretty bored in the Caddy, but the go-cart would be a blast. An exaggerated comparison, but you get the point.

As for his thoughts on the interior, I can see where he's coming from. The guages, dials, buttons, etc. are indeed bigger than on most sports cars, but it's all a matter of taste in the end.

As for drivability, I would believe that the Z and others (with the exception of the woefully underpowered RX-8) are better handlers etc. The GTO has been proven as a great ride, with the only quam being "ho-hum" styling. The Z is a tight little car. It's a great roadster and Nissan fine tuned it to be so.

Take in to consideration that the Mustang he drove (if he even really did) was a PRE-PRODUCTION MODEL. Any feedback Ford gets would be implimented before it becomes commercially available.

So what I'm saying here is CHILL OUT PEOPLE. We don't know if it's credible for one, and also we have to realize that WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT PEOPLE FROM DIFFERENT BACKGROUNDS WITH DIFFERENT TASTES. I mean come on, it's not like he's insulting your first born. It's just a car you happen to really like. If he doesn't like it, that's him. You go and buy one anyway.

"CAN I GET DEFENSIVE GUYS BLINDED BY LOYALTY FOR 1000 ALEX?"
I've been noticing many more "fanboys" on this site lately.. Many posts that are even just slightly negative about any aspect of ford, let alone the mustang are basically told to get lost. Pretty sad.

I guess that its a testament to the growing popularity of this site, but hopefully more rational discussions will return again. Time will tell.

PS: The GTO isnt a POS as others have said. Its fugly, but not a pos.
Old 7/25/04, 10:32 AM
Cobra Member

Ok, wait. Not to be a general Ford Fanboy, but the GTO's interior is no comparision to the '05, and I have sat in both. The ergonomics are much better in the Mustang than the Monaro..um..GTO. If its versus a SN95, yeah, the GTO would blow it away. But, the S197 is a much better car in terms of looks and affordability than the GTO.
Old 7/25/04, 10:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Whoever this guy is he can't be for real. As many times as the word poo came up and the complaints he made, he still gave it a 7? I don't buy it. Even if that was his honest opinion, it was "his" opinion. This is why I don't listen to critics before I go see movies. "Their" opinion. If I was buying an 05, which I'm not, I would still wait to hear from the magazines and people on this forum. I suggest others do the same.

P.S. People don't give the 96,97, and 98 GT's any credit but with the mods I made both performance and cosmetic, I love my car. "My" opinion. That's the only one that counts.
Old 7/25/04, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by vwAirCooled+July 25, 2004, 9:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vwAirCooled @ July 25, 2004, 9:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Decipher@July 25, 2004, 1:46 AM
Wow. You people are just as biased as him, and just as "bad" (if not worse) for being so. I read it and thought it was a fair assessment. The cars weren't really comparable to begin with (the GT and 550Z) since they're different classes and different sizes. The size was the reason the Z felt quicker. Compare going 20mph in a nice go cart to 20mph in a big old Caddillac. You'd be pretty bored in the Caddy, but the go-cart would be a blast. An exaggerated comparison, but you get the point.

As for his thoughts on the interior, I can see where he's coming from. The guages, dials, buttons, etc. are indeed bigger than on most sports cars, but it's all a matter of taste in the end.

As for drivability, I would believe that the Z and others (with the exception of the woefully underpowered RX-8) are better handlers etc. The GTO has been proven as a great ride, with the only quam being "ho-hum" styling. The Z is a tight little car. It's a great roadster and Nissan fine tuned it to be so.

Take in to consideration that the Mustang he drove (if he even really did) was a PRE-PRODUCTION MODEL. Any feedback Ford gets would be implimented before it becomes commercially available.

So what I'm saying here is CHILL OUT PEOPLE. We don't know if it's credible for one, and also we have to realize that WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT PEOPLE FROM DIFFERENT BACKGROUNDS WITH DIFFERENT TASTES. I mean come on, it's not like he's insulting your first born. It's just a car you happen to really like. If he doesn't like it, that's him. You go and buy one anyway.

"CAN I GET DEFENSIVE GUYS BLINDED BY LOYALTY FOR 1000 ALEX?"
I've been noticing many more "fanboys" on this site lately.. Many posts that are even just slightly negative about any aspect of ford, let alone the mustang are basically told to get lost. Pretty sad.

I guess that its a testament to the growing popularity of this site, but hopefully more rational discussions will return again. Time will tell.

PS: The GTO isnt a POS as others have said. Its fugly, but not a pos. [/b][/quote]
The GTO is not ugly..You are the only person in the world that thinks so..It's bland yes..A bland but clean design.

As far as the guys comments, are we supposed to except everything we hear, and accept it as fact?

Lets think about the "article." First, it's not an article, but a post on the message board. First thing we learn, is there is nothing to back his claims up.

Second, he is telling us, this 14 second 350Z, feels much quicker, than a 300HP car, with an estimated 3400lb weight.

Third, he is saying this car cannot handle, despite what other "reviews" have said, as well as Ford Motor Company PROMISING this car will handle...Something doesn't seem right.

This guy can critisize the interior all he wants...I never complained about that. He has seen it, and if he thinks it cheap, or ugly..I couldn't careless, maybe he's right...But I am not going to take such an "article" serious, when it's coming from not a real reporter, but some internet poster. Second, we have so much evidence, that all he is saying is NOT true.

I'll give you this, what he is saying could be true, but NOTHING that we have heard backs up anything he said. I'll wait until someone with some CREDIBILITY tests this vehicle, or until I can drive it myself.

"CAN I GET, "I ACCEPT EVERYTHING I HEAR AS FACT FOR 2000 ALEX?"
Old 7/25/04, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by 428CJ@July 25, 2004, 10:52 AM
The GTO is not ugly..You are the only person in the world that thinks so..It's bland yes..A bland but clean design.

As far as the guys comments, are we supposed to except everything we hear, and accept it as fact?

Lets think about the "article." First, it's not an article, but a post on the message board. First thing we learn, is there is nothing to back his claims up.

Second, he is telling us, this 14 second 350Z, feels much quicker, than a 300HP car, with an estimated 3400lb weight.

Third, he is saying this car cannot handle, despite what other "reviews" have said, as well as Ford Motor Company PROMISING this car will handle...Something doesn't seem right.

This guy can critisize the interior all he wants...I never complained about that. He has seen it, and if he thinks it cheap, or ugly..I couldn't careless, maybe he's right...But I am not going to take such an "article" serious, when it's coming from not a real reporter, but some internet poster. Second, we have so much evidence, that all he is saying is NOT true.

I'll give you this, what he is saying could be true, but NOTHING that we have heard backs up anything he said. I'll wait until someone with some CREDIBILITY tests this vehicle, or until I can drive it myself.

"CAN I GET, "I ACCEPT EVERYTHING I HEAR AS FACT FOR 2000 ALEX?"
I think your arguments stand for both sides of the issue...

The last testimony I would believe is that coming from Ford's marketing department. They can promise that it will make my gas smell like roses to sell more cars... so of course they're going to say that it was designed to handle well. We'll only know for ourselves when the '05's are on the lot and available for test drives. And even more important, we'll know for ourselves if this car truly is the next one we'll buy or not. I really think that's all that matters - if you sit in the car and realize that there is nothing about it that works for you, are you still going to shell out $25,000+ because Ford told you it's the best?

Again, who knows who this guy really is... someone on the message board corroborated that he's a guy who has owned / modified high performance sports cars. Could they both be a couple of 10 year old punks pulling the wool over our eyes? Who knows...
Old 7/25/04, 12:24 PM
FR500 Member

I say, take his article for what it's worth... poo. There are many things he said that make his credibility go way down, including the word... poo. I personally think the guy, owning two Mustangs, maybe had real high expectations for the '05. That would explain him expressing so much dissapointment and still giving it a 7 out of 10. But the thing that really confuses me is the fact that he said the GTO was quicker than the Mustang. It's got more horses than the Mustang, but weighs more. The GTO is estimated to go 0-60 in 5.4 seconds. While the Stang is estimated (and keep in mind we have heard from many credible sources that the '05 is "highly" underrated) to do 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. And here is another thing... braking. He said the Mustang's brakes were weak. The GTO does 60-0 in 126 feet, while the Mustang is estimated to do 60-0 in only 116 feet. So, whatever this guy felt while driving is his messed up interpretation of reality. But, the numbers will speak for themselves. And as far as what he saw in the design of the '05. We have all seen the pictures of the new Stang, even up next to other cars. We all love the look, design, stance, etc. And everyone who sees it always says that the car looks so much better in person. So, I'm not even the slightest bit worried about that either.
Old 7/25/04, 12:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't base my opinions on anyone elses. If I like it, I like it, simple as that. I have seen it in person, and I agree with the opinion about the dash being too big. I saw one with the IUP and it was a bit over the top IMO. I'd like it better without the chrome rings around the gaugues, to start with. Now, his opinions about the exterior I disagree with entirely. The fact that he can compare the 350Z to it and call the 350Z better looking tells me right there that I'm not going to appreciate his opinion on most things...

Dave
Old 7/25/04, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by HairyCanary@July 25, 2004, 12:32 PM
I don't base my opinions on anyone elses. If I like it, I like it, simple as that. I have seen it in person, and I agree with the opinion about the dash being too big. I saw one with the IUP and it was a bit over the top IMO. I'd like it better without the chrome rings around the gaugues, to start with. Now, his opinions about the exterior I disagree with entirely. The fact that he can compare the 350Z to it and call the 350Z better looking tells me right there that I'm not going to appreciate his opinion on most things...

Dave
I agree about the styling... the back of the 350z looks kind of cool, but put it with the rest of the car and all I see is a way-too futuristic / angular rice-mobile. Sorry if I offend anyone with that, but it's just what I think it looks like.

Quick Reply: Drove an '05 - someone from another board...