2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Driving with all 4 lights

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/05, 10:00 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if driving with all 4 front lights on is illegal in any states? Has anyone had a complaint about driving with all 4 on? I think it looks awsome when they are all on is there anything wrong driving like that?
Old 6/2/05, 10:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by theelebowski@June 3, 2005, 12:03 AM
Does anyone know if driving with all 4 front lights on is illegal in any states? Has anyone had a complaint about driving with all 4 on? I think it looks awsome when they are all on is there anything wrong driving like that?

Other than the extra bug splatter I'd say no........

Seriously, check with your local laws. Running with the low beams and the center fog lights is not illegal. Otherwise why would Ford have put them on the car if you couldn't use them??? Now running with the high beams and the fog lights might attract the local authorities but my bet is the fogs go out when you click on the highs.
Old 6/2/05, 10:14 PM
Cobra Member

Car won't let you run the fogs and the brights at the same time. I figured this out after I thought my brights were broken.
Old 6/2/05, 10:29 PM
V6 Member

I drive with all 4 on. It's brighter, and it looks cool. Some people think I'm running my brights though and they flash while driving by, but they are merely fools and I pay them no attention.
Old 6/2/05, 10:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Stangarang@June 2, 2005, 10:32 PM
I drive with all 4 on. It's brighter, and it looks cool. Some people think I'm running my brights though and they flash while driving by, but they are merely fools and I pay them no attention.
B) Actually .... they're just flashing back at ya cause it's such a cool car
Old 6/2/05, 10:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've had a couple people flash me because they thought my brights were on too. I'm going to side with the majority here and say that having the headlights and fogs on at the same time is 100% legal in all 50 states.
Old 6/2/05, 10:49 PM
V6 Member

According to my neighbor highway patrolman, driving with running lights on when meeting a car is illegal in MT. Also you can only use them in "adverse" weather while in the city limits of the town I live in.
Old 6/3/05, 04:57 AM
Bullitt Member

dave_bought_another_black_stang's Avatar

I typically use just the fogs for daylight, and all 4 at night. the only problem is the fogs are so bright, i have forgotten to turn to the fully on position at night before and driven home with just the fogs on. i guess they look enough like lights, because i passed plenty of cops and never got pulled over.
Old 6/3/05, 05:21 AM
Cobra Member

I use all four at night and haven't ever had any trouble. I did the same with my Ranger, no problems there either.
Old 6/3/05, 07:17 AM
V6 Member

They're no brighter than the majority of fogs lights on other cars today. But having them in line with the headlights instead of under them gives the perception they're high beams.

I will dim them if I get a flash from another motorist just to be courteous. Legal or not, if someone flashes you, turn them off, let 'em pass and pull them back on.
Old 6/3/05, 07:44 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by E-Rock@June 3, 2005, 9:20 AM
They're no brighter than the majority of fogs lights on other cars today. But having them in line with the headlights instead of under them gives the perception they're high beams.

I will dim them if I get a flash from another motorist just to be courteous. Legal or not, if someone flashes you, turn them off, let 'em pass and pull them back on.
Or, you can flash your brights back at 'em, and make them feel silly
Old 6/3/05, 08:21 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think its the fact that they are blinding people, its more of people just seeing 4 lights on the same plain that makes them think its your brights. The Mustang's fogs are not any higher than some SUV fogs. They are perfectly legal.
Old 6/3/05, 10:08 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@June 2, 2005, 10:17 PM
Car won't let you run the fogs and the brights at the same time. I figured this out after I thought my brights were broken.
since when does your car not do this. I can do it on my car, I always run the fogs alone during the day and all four at night and when I go through Rancho Sante Fe I turn the brights on as well.
Old 6/3/05, 10:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by whtmule@June 3, 2005, 12:52 AM
According to my neighbor highway patrolman, driving with running lights on when meeting a car is illegal in MT. Also you can only use them in "adverse" weather while in the city limits of the town I live in.

I think he may be mistaken. I could be wrong also, but I believe fog/driving lights are 50 state legal to drive with them on all the time. I drive my 99 with all four lights on all the time, now granted they're lower but I have had people flash. My opinion for those people is that if you can't stand the lights you may want to reconsider night driving.

I know my grandmother used to complain about driving lights all the time, but it was really because her eyes were just getting so sensitive as she was getting older so she refrainded from driving at night unless absoultely neccessary.
Old 6/3/05, 10:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by dave_bought_another_black_stang@June 3, 2005, 6:00 AM
I typically use just the fogs for daylight, and all 4 at night. the only problem is the fogs are so bright, i have forgotten to turn to the fully on position at night before and driven home with just the fogs on. i guess they look enough like lights, because i passed plenty of cops and never got pulled over.
:scratch: Hm. My impression was that you could not run the fogs alone. You can run the headlights alone or the headlights with the fogs, but not the fogs alone. Am I missing something?
Old 6/3/05, 11:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The fogs can be on without the headlights. Turn the dial one click to the parking lights and then pull on the fogs.

Of course around my town the police learned real fast to recognize what it means when they see those four lights going by on a car, a Mustang GT. Unfortunately this only attracts the radar gun even faster.
Old 6/3/05, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by rrobello@June 3, 2005, 10:11 AM
since when does your car not do this. I can do it on my car, I always run the fogs alone during the day and all four at night and when I go through Rancho Sante Fe I turn the brights on as well.
Your fogs automatically turn off when you put your brights on.
Old 6/3/05, 12:07 PM

really I did not know that Ive never gotten out to check I am going to my garage now to see it for my own eyes, thats interesting. I believe you I just want to see it.
Old 6/3/05, 12:10 PM

holy cow your right...I never noticed that....I did learn quickly that you cant turn the fogs on until the key is turned to the on position....this stuff is just wierd, why not wire it up so it just turns on when you turn it on?
Old 6/3/05, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by rrobello@June 3, 2005, 12:13 PM
holy cow your right...I never noticed that....I did learn quickly that you cant turn the fogs on until the key is turned to the on position....this stuff is just wierd, why not wire it up so it just turns on when you turn it on?
I don't know why they did that with having to have your key in the on position, the only thing I can think of is it is easy to forget to turn your fogs off since a lot of people use then during daylight, this way you battery won't be dead if you forget to turn them off.

Quick Reply: Driving with all 4 lights