2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Door ajar issue.....help.

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/08, 11:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door ajar issue.....help.

OK - when driving, the door ajar light and associated beep keeps on recurring. Sometimes it'll beep once, sometimes about 10 times in a row, and sometimes 2-3 randomly, over and over and over. The map lights come on with the beeps ONLY when stopped. This has been going on for about a week. (annoying is an understatement).

I did try carb cleaner on the switch to see if the sensor is stuck - no luck.

How difficult is it going to be if I have to replace the entire lock mechanism & sensor? OR - is there a better solution.

I searched all over the boards for someone else with this issue and didn't find any threads.

Thanks in advance........
Old 12/31/08, 05:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by afcop13
OK - when driving, the door ajar light and associated beep keeps on recurring. Sometimes it'll beep once, sometimes about 10 times in a row, and sometimes 2-3 randomly, over and over and over. The map lights come on with the beeps ONLY when stopped. This has been going on for about a week. (annoying is an understatement).

How difficult is it going to be if I have to replace the entire lock mechanism & sensor? OR - is there a better solution.

I searched all over the boards for someone else with this issue and didn't find any threads.

Which door is the culprit? Is the drop glass feature involved at all?

Last edited by red pony; 12/31/08 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12/31/08, 10:22 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
mine does that when trunks ajar I programmed the same remotes for both cars, and the van, but she uses the trunk button on hers and about once a week in the summer, mine will have the trunklid bouncing ding-ding-ding...
funny- first time it happened was a day after I'd left my windows down and it rained overnight, I thought for sure it shorted some stuff out, but about halfway to work i noticed it was when i hit a bump, and happened to see the spoiler hop in the mirror a bit- doh!

Last edited by ford4v429; 12/31/08 at 10:31 PM.
Old 1/2/09, 04:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

its the drivers door for sure, because sometimes, I can open/close it while rolling and "reset" it - which rarely lasts more than a few minutes.

I don't think the auto up/down feature on the door is the culprit, it seems to operate normally when open and closed - but once in a while it will go up/down while the door is closed when the door ajar light and beep occurs.
Old 1/2/09, 03:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

its the drivers door for sure, because sometimes, I can open/close it while rolling and "reset" it - which rarely lasts more than a few minutes.

I don't think the auto up/down feature on the door is the culprit, it seems to operate normally when open and closed - but once in a while it will go up/down while the door is closed when the door ajar light and beep occurs.
That sounds like a bad switch in the latch assembly I have yet to tear one apart so I don't know if it is adjustible or not. If it's like everything else in this throw-away society we live in, you may have to replace the latch assembly to fix the problem. What year is the car? It may still be in warranty !

Last edited by red pony; 1/2/09 at 03:56 PM.
Old 1/2/09, 04:27 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,157 Likes on 2,311 Posts

I would Guess your Door Ajar Switch is Bad. It is a Twistlock Deal in the Actual Door Latch. It is Part Number 4l2z13713aa. This is the Number for the Drivers Side Only. Once you See the new One you will Know How to Install in Latch.
Old 1/3/09, 01:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
I would Guess your Door Ajar Switch is Bad. It is a Twistlock Deal in the Actual Door Latch. It is Part Number 4l2z13713aa. This is the Number for the Drivers Side Only. Once you See the new One you will Know How to Install in Latch.
There you go! Thanks in advance if I ever need one.
Old 1/3/09, 02:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks KC - I was actually hoping you'd chime in here somewhere.

Red pony - no luck - warranty was expired about 15K miles ago.

I'll go find that part and give it shot. It should cure the issue. Again - thanks guys.
Old 2/18/20, 06:08 AM

Having same issue

I know this is an old post, but was hoping to see if you determined what was causing this. I am having the same issue with my '07 convertible. Door ajar comes on and drivers side window doesn't work nor does the wipers. Going over bumps seem to turn the light on and off. Happens normally when cold. Replaced the door latch sensor and sprayed the latch with WD40. Seems to reduce it from happening. Not sure what the door ajar and wipers have in common. When everything is working as it should and I open the door, the drivers side window operates as does the wipers. No moisture near the main junction box and all contacts on it look clean.
Old 10/28/21, 09:14 AM

10/28/2021

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
My 2006 GT is doing the same thing. I changed the switch sensor and I'm still having the same problem. Any other ideas what it could be?