2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Does everyone want to race you?

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/07, 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
I agree. With age, wisdom tends to replace hormones. Thank god.

Fact is, most of these "challengers" already know our cars are plenty fast...or they wouldn't be trying to challenge us in the first place. It's a lot more fun to make like you're gonna race 'em at the light, then when the light turns green and they peel forward, just sit there for a few seconds. I've noticed that REALLY bugs stoplight racers.
Yes, with age and wisdom, comes sensibility. Racing on the street is not worth the risk. Everything wants to race the Roush - the other one - they just roll along by. If i am at a light next to a sport car especially, i stay a nose back and wait a second after they stert moving before i do. In H-Town they will tow your car for street racing.
Old 2/1/07, 10:39 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stangette
In H-Town they will tow your car for street racing.
In VA, if you get caught street racing, they take your car and your license. And no, I'm not talking about impounding the car...I'm talking about taking it for good (or until they auction/sell it off to someone).

Even if you aren't speeding, if you and another car "appear" to be racing (ie-accelerating at the same time from a stop light at a fast pace), they can give you a ticket. Also, if you spin tires, it is considered reckless driving, even if it is unintentional.
Old 2/1/07, 10:56 AM
GT Member

I'm 35 and where i work there is this 20year old punk who all he wants to do is race me. He has some wrx with a turbo.(i asked him sevral times how does a turbo work and he has no clue) his car looks like a neon beefed up.
I want to toast him so bad but i guess i'm starting to grow up a little I'm a director in my facility and i feel like i have so much to lose if people found out. you should see my back seat instaed of having nitrous bottles i have two car seats for the 4 and 1 year old. To justify the car i had to prove i can take the kids around and pick them up from school.
Old 2/1/07, 10:59 AM
Cobra R Member

You could always put the simpson racing child seats in there
Old 2/1/07, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by another 06gt
I'm 35 and where i work there is this 20year old punk who all he wants to do is race me. He has some wrx with a turbo.(i asked him sevral times how does a turbo work and he has no clue) his car looks like a neon beefed up.
I want to toast him so bad but i guess i'm starting to grow up a little I'm a director in my facility and i feel like i have so much to lose if people found out. you should see my back seat instaed of having nitrous bottles i have two car seats for the 4 and 1 year old. To justify the car i had to prove i can take the kids around and pick them up from school.
Tell him to meet you at the track.

I get challenged on a weekly basis, usually rice, imports and my favorite, M3's. I just ignore them. Had one guy challenge me at a 7-11 (quick mart), told him I would be at Mason Dixon dragway the following day for TNT, he backed down.

These are beautiful cars, so that is one reason. The second is mustangs have always been a benchmark kill for the competition.
Old 2/1/07, 11:29 AM
GT Member

I did race my buddys G35X. It was probably a bad move the car only had about 75 miles on it. I told him i bought a v6 and all he was mock me. when i came to his house and heard me pull in he realized it was a gt. when we went out that night i had him by half a lenght. later over beers he was stating he really wasn't rying hard.
Old 2/1/07, 11:33 AM
Cobra R Member

You should easily beat a G35X. A G35 coupe is a 4 seat version of the 350z, and I think the stangs can outrun the z's. So, the G35X (correct me if I'm wrong, is the four door AWD version) would weigh more than the Z's, making their cars even slower. But, they are still nice cars IMO.
Old 2/1/07, 11:36 AM

G35's are pigs, they run mid 14's. Over priced IMO, but they are very nice interior wise.
Old 2/1/07, 12:48 PM
GT Member

Maybe I'm wrong with the model # its the 2 door verison. he did tell me the car comes from the factory with 290hp and thats it there is't many upgrades they can do with the car since its a 6
Old 2/1/07, 12:53 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm pretty sure the X designated AWD, and only the 4 doors have the X package, so I assumed it was the 4 door. Either way, it would still be a little slower than the stang.

Also, he is COMPLETELY WRONG regarding lack of available modifications. Tell him to go to stillen.com. superchargers, intakes, exhaust, etc. etc. etc. [I only know this because I used to have a 97 Maxima as my daily driver...very nice car; very quick, but had torque steer like you wouldn't believe; and the new ones are even worse]
Old 2/1/07, 01:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't race, but I always seem to get guys in minivans try to blow past me on the freeway while I'm doing 70. I guess they are just jealous I drive a Stang and they have to drive a soccer mom car.

oh... One time, a kid in a ricer was tailgating me in traffic. Once traffic cleared he made a show of his fart can exhaust and blew by me doing 90mph. I caught up to him two minutes later while he was being given a ticket by the State Patrol. He got what he deserved for being a pr!ck in traffic.
Old 2/1/07, 01:30 PM
Cobra R Member

I've had someone in old beatup truck try racing me in my 2000. It was on a road that the limit is 55, and if you go 60, you WILL get a ticket. I just did the 3-figure wave (thumb, index and middle finger peace sign), and shrugged him off.

I knew better to race someone on that road, let alone a 1970 chevy truck that looked like it was about to break down
Old 2/1/07, 02:01 PM

Maybe I'm wrong with the model # its the 2 door verison. he did tell me the car comes from the factory with 290hp and thats it there is't many upgrades they can do with the car since its a 6
There are turbos available for that car. Not sure what else is in the market for those cars.
Old 2/1/07, 02:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Superchargers, programmers, intakes, exhaust, suspension, body kits. Pretty much everything that a mustang has. Although I don't think there is as huge of a market for internal engine mods like mustangs. But then again, I don't think that Nissans and Infiniti's are raced on the drag strip.

But, there is more than enough parts to make the car look good and fast. It's no different than any other sport compact. Mustang's, on the other hand, are considered "muscle cars" and therefore have much more race-type mods available
Old 2/1/07, 04:57 PM
Bullitt Member

My 210 hp V6 beat a 2001 320-hp White Cobra. That's right. In my book I beat him. I'm on the PA turnpike doing the posted speed limit of 65 in cruise control looking good. He comes up in the lane next to me and rides parallel for a bit so I notice him. Then he guns it & takes off leaving me in the dust. Disappears. Had to be doing close to 90. 2 miles further down he's on the side of the road with his hood up & the engine smoking. He was DNF while I cruised passed to the finish line
Old 2/1/07, 05:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

I get what seems like a cluster of people wanting to race me, but sadly most of them are driving next to me in bumper to bumper traffic, revving and making noise... and a LOT of imports revving or slowing down to speed up as we pass each ohter to show me their mad exhaust YO!....

only on one occasion did I bust a ***** and go after them.... they ran like scared rabbits.

sometimes i go for weeks without anyone revving or goofing off near me.

sadly a few lately ahve been other mustangs trying to impress me....

sad state of affairs really...
Old 2/1/07, 05:57 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Little Black Pony
I don't race, but I always seem to get guys in minivans try to blow past me on the freeway while I'm doing 70. I guess they are just jealous I drive a Stang and they have to drive a soccer mom car.

oh... One time, a kid in a ricer was tailgating me in traffic. Once traffic cleared he made a show of his fart can exhaust and blew by me doing 90mph. I caught up to him two minutes later while he was being given a ticket by the State Patrol. He got what he deserved for being a pr!ck in traffic.
I've watched that exact same thing happen... twice in one morning.
Two different guys, two different Highway Patrol officers. It was
awesome.
Old 2/1/07, 07:19 PM
V6 Member

I've been challenged by:
Toyota Tundra
Jeep Cherokee
Acura TL
Countless Hondas
oh and Cavaliers LOL
Old 2/1/07, 07:21 PM
Cobra Member

1 year and 6,000 miles later, I've never had someone want to race. Granted I live in the southern Suberbs of the Twin Cities. Now I suppose if I was still back in Omaha and cruising Dodge Street after Sprite Nite, I would have many people looking for a race.
Old 2/1/07, 07:44 PM
Closet American

G35 sedans are about 289 HP, if I'm not mistaken. The coupe has a tiny bit more. The coupe is advertised to hit 60 in about 6 seconds stock, so a Stang GT should easily beat both the coupe AND the sedan (especially a portly AWD sedan).

Quick Reply: Does everyone want to race you?