2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Does the '05 make you 'feel' something?

Search this Thread

Old 11/20/04, 09:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everytime I see one of these cars it reminds me of how 'dead' I've felt about most of the cars that Detroit has produced for decades.

Now, don't get me wrong - there have been a lot of great cars come out of the American Auto Industry over the last 30+ years. Cars like the 5.0 Mustang, the Turbo Buicks, the LT1/LS1 Vettes and F-Bodies and so on. But this new Mustang hits me like none have ever hit me since 1973.

Back then, I was a 19 year old high school graduate with a good job and in search of a new car. I found a new 1973 Z/28 Camaro, Dark Red with White Rally Stripes, auto and pretty much standard fare that I just HAD TO HAVE. When I first saw the car on the showroom, I just KNEW it was THE car! Do you know what I mean?

So, after a few days of haggling with the salesman, getting the financing arranged, it was all set to be delivered. Man, I just could not sleep the night before! I just kept thinking about how it felt to sit in that car, to look over the long hood and to see the engine all shiny and gleaming beneath the raised hood.

But when I woke up the next morning, an early spring (it was St. Patrick's day, March 17) SNOW STORM (!!??) had covered the ground with about 4 inches of white, slushy stuff! ARRRGHHHHH!

Anyhow, I had to wait a couple of loooon, arduous, unbearable days since I didn't want to bring the car home in the snow or on wet roads. I even drove up to the dealership each day just to LOOK at the car! But, the snow melted about as fast as it came and I finally got her home. I've never ever forgotten how I felt about that car since. I've bought a LOT of vehicles over the 30+ years since but none were more exciting to shop for and then buy than that '73 Z/28.

Until now.

This new 2005 has me hooked So deep and hard that it is all I think about. And that is unusual for me. I thought I was at a point that they are merely cars, some more sporty or quicker than others, but still, just cars. Well, I was wrong.

This new Mustang makes it 1973 all over for me once more. It makes me "feel" things about sports cars I've never felt before - passion, excitement, awe, desire, and more. And I like that!

How about you? Has the new '05 awoken feelings and memories from decades ago? What does the 2005 Mustang do FOR YOU?
Old 11/20/04, 10:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Steve when I sit in that red seat I feel 25 once more and I am a little older than you.
Old 11/20/04, 10:26 PM
Bullitt Member

From the first photo I saw of the total re-design of the Mustang at the NAIAS in January, I knew that I truly wanted one of this new breed of Mustang. Ford has really done a great job of capturing a piece of history of the past, but incorporated so much more modern technology into the making of this car.
I loved the '65 fastback 2+2 model when it came out. I was in high school, and no way could buy one then. Graduated from high school, and drafted into the Army for two years. Got married and had two sons, and then it wasn't practical for me to buy a Sports car. Lots of other things took priority.
So when I saw this new model being developed, I, like a lot of others on this forum, pre-ordered back in June so as to have one of the first to drive in our area. Driving this new '05 GT has brought back a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel and drive. From all the looks, and thumbs up I get every day I have driven it this past month, just adds to the enjoyment of being the proud owner of a car admired by so many other people. WHAT A PLEASURE IT IS TO OWN!
Old 11/20/04, 10:32 PM
FR500 Member

The '05 seems to "perfect" on all the different things I've tried to do to cars in the past....it seems like for once everything I really want is all together in my posession pretty much at the same time. In the past, had cars with nice bodies, had cars with nice engines, had cars with nice rims, etc. Yeah, Hooked!
Old 11/20/04, 11:10 PM
Cobra R Member

From a fellow baby-boomer.....This car has me obsessed. My GF says that the Ford dealership should start charging me RENT, because I stop by every day. When my Silver GT gets here, I will be the 2nd GT in Longview, WA. I watched 'Bullitt' on TV tonight, and probably more wide-eyed than I had ever watched it before. This car definitely makes me feel like a little kid......and it's fun going down to the Ford dealership to sit in the Yellow Mustang on the showroom floor and just pretend that it's my Satin Silver GT w/Red Leather. B) (I sure hope the red interior isn't too much)
Old 11/20/04, 11:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Mustang is not just a car for me. It is memories. It is cruising at Chuck-A-Burgers, going to Kar Kraft Nationals, partying with my friends in our local car club, having girls run up to me at intersections and wanting rides in my convertible. It is nostalgia, a memory of a simpler but more fun time of my life. I haven't been able to afford a "toy" car for 20 years, and no car coming out of Detroit has done anything at all for me anyway. Until now... The '05 is a new daily driver "toy" that not only brings back my youth but actually improves on it! I can't imagine an improvement on this car. I don't have mine yet, but I can already feel a connection to it. When the time is right, supply has risen, prices have fallen (a bit), and I have finally selected a color, I'll buy it. It will not be a car, but a new member of the family. It will not be as reliable as my Honda (can I say that here?), as practical as my S10, or as economical as my daughter's Sentra, but of all the cars that I have owned, I only miss one: a '66 Emberglow Mustang vert with pony interior, 298 auto, and (for some odd reason) '68 Mustang styled steel wheels. My '05 will finally replace her, (too bad Emberglow isn't offered) and will never be sold, unless to trade for an SE model. What does the '05 do for me? It is my fountain of youth! B)
Old 11/21/04, 02:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Great stories. It's obvious that so many are hooked by this car for no other reason than what it represents. It's part of the American way.
Popcorn, baseball, apple pie and the Ford Mustang.

The funny thing with me personally is that I have never gotten out of my teen years. By choice? If so, it was unintentional. I have owned a mustang of one kind or another for about 23 out of the last 25 years.

The '05 brings back memories of those high school years when everyone with cool cars would park in one section of the parking lot at school and all gather 'round before school or at lunch time and gawk at each others cars. Or the memory of me on a regular basis getting into my '66 after school with a pen in my back pocket and marking up the pony interior. Thus having to go home to scrub it off.

I've read some on this forum, not many, about how plain it is and how it needs this shaker and this scoop and needs this and needs that. I couldn't disagree more. This car, as it sits is the epitome of what the mustang is. What the American muscle car is. Yes it's a modern version. The intent all along was to pull at the memory strings of the 1960's, 1970's generation while appealing to the younger folk of our day. I think they have hit a homerun.

I have to give kudos to my wife of 23 years. She has put up with my many obsessions over the years. She has gracefully allowed at least a portion of my youth to never die. I am not going through a mid-life crisis. I do however feel like those kids in the opening moments of ***** Wonka and the chocolate factory in the candy store.
Old 11/21/04, 04:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Looks like I'm older than you since I was driving a 65 in 1967/68. While I don't have it yet, thinking about it brings a smile to my face and an anticipation I have not had in awhile. When I first saw what it looked like - it hit me that "I really want this" Enjoy the heck outta it and Life!
Old 11/21/04, 04:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Steve@November 20, 2004, 11:49 PM
Everytime I see one of these cars it reminds me of how 'dead' I've felt about most of the cars that Detroit has produced for decades.
How about you? Has the new '05 awoken feelings and memories from decades ago? What does the 2005 Mustang do FOR YOU?
It gets no better. This car is so fun to drive around. My wife laughs because I volunteer to drive any errand, at any time. Early morning donut runs are a blast. Late night kid-pick-ups are just as fun. I always take the long way.

I also would not change a thing about the car. It is an absolute joy to own, drive and care for. It reminds me a great deal of my old 66' 289 coupe, however it is so much nicer. On my old car I could never afford nice rims -- this one come with awesome rims. On my old car I could never afford a nice exhaust -- this one has an awesome SS dual exhaust that sounds meaner than any car I have ever owned. It handles, has air conditioning, and to me it has the best looks of any vehicle on the road.

You had asked about this car waking up feelings from long ago. In my case, most certainly. The strongest is the feeling to go cruising. Its been 28 years since I had the urge to go cruising (funny, I never felt like cruising in my Volvo 240 wagon). And the best part ?? My wife loves to join me. It's really great being able to share this beautiful machine with others. I can't wait to show it to my best friend from my high-school days. When that happens, we both are definitely going to remember some great times.

Without doubt, this is my dream car. I am so lucky to be able to afford it. Thank you Ford for making it ! :worship:
Old 11/21/04, 04:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am 19 today.I grew up on watching films from the 60/70's era and although I am not an American citizen I have been always dreaming of living in those times of good music and fast&beautiful cars.
Today a common teenager in my country dreams of VW Golf and listens to either techno or Hip-Hop.But I live in my very own world and after I saw the new Stang for the first time I realized that although I can't go back to the 60/70's I can in some way feel the atmosphere of that times.
Now I will do everything to earn money and ship the Stang to Europe.
It would be something beautiful for me and my father whose dreams couldn't exist under communist regime in the 70's(the time he was a teenager)
Old 11/21/04, 04:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

These are some GREAT replies! Keep 'em coming!
Old 11/21/04, 04:29 PM
V6 Member

Well lI understand that feeling. I never thought anything would be able to replace the wait I had on my restoration of the 68 coupe i have. Started out to be a daily driver and almost 4 years later it was finished.

Well the 05 was there right in my face upon the first concept pictures I saw. I was sold, hook, line and sinker. My request was in to a friend as early as Jan 04. He lived up to his agreement I received my Mineral Gray 05, GT premium, with IUP and 5 speed on October 30. This car equaled my 4 year wait on the restoration.

All ages stop and ask if they can look at it. Just had a 11 year old come up and ask, is that the new 05 mustang. I have come to believe it is not just me ( or us..) Everyone loves this car.
Old 11/21/04, 04:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 68fuelinjected@November 21, 2004, 5:32 PM
Well lI understand that feeling. Everyone loves this car.
I totally agree - everyone who sees one on the streets just can't take their eyes of it!

Ford should use that for a campaign ad: "EVERYONE loves this car!"
Old 11/21/04, 05:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I own a Sonic Blue GT, and the only other car that evoked even the slightest feeling like this one has was a 1973 Opel GT, black metallic paint that would glow at sunset, with Recaro seats, upgraded stereo, and sweet rims (haha 13-inchers, if you can believe that)

It only weighed 1900-2000 pounds, and had 90 horses, good for a little over 110 mph. The shifter boot came off easy and you could see the road below. It was beautiful, fun, not really practical, and about as sophisticated as a go-kart, but I loved it.

The new Mustang has so much that little GT didn't have, AC, a 5-speed, rear seats, ABS, traction control, 300 horsepower, but most importantly, the Stang still has the spirit of fun. I don't feel nervous about the car breaking down, like I did with the Opel, but it fits me perfectly, and when I'm driving, it feels like an extension of myself.

What it does, it does well, it does consistently, it does powerfully. I am always eager to drive it, and loathe to park.

Ford has given me something I can point to with pride at being an American, look, I say... look at what we have done. Look at this a**-kicking street machine that doesn't require a large inheritance to own. Look at what everyman can be driving. Look at what our auto industry can still produce. To he** with $40,000 minivans on stilts. To he** with cars whose excitement is based on excreting minute amounts of waste. To he** with buying cars with 6...8...10 airbags.

I took three ladies, 33, 36, and 53 to lunch, and streched the car out a little on the way there. They loved the performance, and said they felt special riding in that car. They laughed at the attention the car got on the road, at lights, and had a ball. It was worth it.

It's all so very much worth it.
Old 11/21/04, 05:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

I thought it was cute when the other day I was discussing the purchase of an '05 Mustang with my wife. She asked me with honesty, "Why would you want a Mustang? There are a lot of good cars out there, aren't there?"

Our daughter, who was sitting nearby, answered for me.

"Why wouldn't he want one of the new Mustangs? They're the coolest cars on the road!"

There you go - endorsement by a 15 year old! Even the PRE-drivers love 'em!
Old 11/21/04, 05:11 PM

My High School Hot Rod was a '69 Stang. (Class of 1978). I cannot even express how many memories are bound up with that car .

The new Mustang has shocked me back to life out of a duldrum of endless, anonymous, boring wind tunnel cars. All of a sudden an almost exact replica of my High School party car!! Can this be happening?!!!! Talk about a tailor-made midlife crisis! I must have one!!!!!!!!!! Great Scott, Marty ! We're going back to 1978!
Old 11/21/04, 05:19 PM
Cobra Member

I have had the car for three days now, and I still can't believe I got one...this car is really my dream car. It has everything...power, looks, refinement, comfort... it is basically as if someone had asked me, "Frank, tell us what you want and we'll do it."

I'm sure I will never let this car go...it is just so 'right'

As for other people, I've got stories already. Today, when I went over to my cousin's, we went to grab some food. As we sat in the resturant, I counted four people pull off the street and pull in just to look at the Mustang.
Later, as I was at a stoplight...a couple of younger guys pulled up to the left turn lane to my left in an old 5.0. The look on their faces was "No, it can't be!"

I'm tearing up here...talk amongst yourselves...
Old 11/21/04, 05:37 PM
GT Member

When I'm on the highway, I'm seriously worried about the people checkin it out. On the way to work last week one driver almost plowed into someone else gawking. Then there are the jerks who just can't wait to challenge me.
This car is way too much fun.
Old 11/21/04, 05:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Deathdealer@November 21, 2004, 7:03 PM
Ford has given me something I can point to with pride at being an American, look, I say... look at what we have done. Look at this a**-kicking street machine that doesn't require a large inheritance to own. Look at what everyman can be driving. Look at what our auto industry can still produce.
I agree with you. You know that little sticker on the back window ? I can't bring myself to remove it. It says:
"Built With Pride, UAW / Ford, Quality is Job#1".

Right On !
Old 11/21/04, 05:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by os121@November 21, 2004, 6:42 PM
You know that little sticker on the back window ? I can't bring myself to remove it. It says:
"Built With Pride, UAW / Ford, Quality is Job#1".

Right On !
Same here!

Quick Reply: Does the '05 make you 'feel' something?