2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

doc.charge on X-plan

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/05, 09:53 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dealer i'm talking to wants to add a $349 Doc. fee to the Xplan price. Can they do that?
Old 5/6/05, 09:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
According to the X-plan website they can't. Print the info from the website and show them.
Old 5/6/05, 10:44 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One of the benefits of X-plan is supposed to be that you don't have to pay those fees. I'd print it out and point it out to them like Mark said.
Old 5/6/05, 11:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Has anyone seen the dealer trying to hide things like a doc fee that in general prep fee to get more off an X-Plan purchase?

Do you just see a single line item for dealer prep? How do you know what it includes? How much does the dealer have to break things out?

Sorry. Lot's of questions. Few answers. Any help appreciated.
Old 5/6/05, 12:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have x-plan (paid 100 under MSRP) but these are the fees I had:
1. price for car
2. doc fee (45.00)
3. state sales tax
4. license fee
5. CA tire fee
Old 5/6/05, 12:29 PM

They can.. and will, if the dealer is greedy.

From the XPLAN terms and conditions (fine print):

"The dealership may also not charge separately for document preparation fees, vehicle preparation fees or other administrative services incidental to the delivery of the vehicle on a Partner Recognition Program - X Plan sale. "

Notice the keyword "MAY".
Old 5/6/05, 12:35 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by iag0@May 6, 2005, 12:32 PM
They can.. and will, if the dealer is greedy.

From the XPLAN terms and conditions (fine print):

"The dealership may also not charge separately for document preparation fees, vehicle preparation fees or other administrative services incidental to the delivery of the vehicle on a Partner Recognition Program - X Plan sale. "

Notice the keyword "MAY".

Thge NOT is bold and capitalized. Dealers are not allowed to add anything to the price other than additional items purchased by the buyer such as running boards or whatever, and tax, title, and license fees.
Old 5/6/05, 12:43 PM

I talked to Ford's Partner Recognition department about that exact line of wording. They said that Ford leaves it up to the dealer to decide whether or not they will abide by Ford's recommendations in NOT changing for the doc fees, etc. when dealing with ford preferred customers such as those on the x-plan.

They deliberately pointed out the word "may" when explaining this. It is not "must" or "shall not" for a reason...

If you have a good dealer. I would not worry.
Old 5/6/05, 12:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Ford Partner.com
The X Plan price is the amount shown on the line labeled "X Plan" near the bottom of the factory invoice (not displayed for Jaguar and Land Rover, labeled as "S Plan" for Mazda). The New Vehicle Purchase Plan price includes advertising, finance costs, transportation, fuel costs and Company administrative fees. The dealership may not charge extra for these items.

The dealership may also NOT charge separately for document preparation fees, vehicle preparation fees or other administrative services incidental to the delivery of the vehicle on a Partner Recognition Program - X Plan sale. These expenses are considered to be part of the dealer's normal cost of doing business for which the dealership is compensated by the commission paid.
The use of "may" here is indicating that it is a requirment. If you read the full text, the document clearly states these are conditions the dealer must abide by.
Old 5/6/05, 01:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by iag0@May 6, 2005, 12:46 PM
I talked to Ford's Partner Recognition department about that exact line of wording. They said that Ford leaves it up to the dealer to decide whether or not they will abide by Ford's recommendations in NOT changing for the doc fees, etc. when dealing with ford preferred customers such as those on the x-plan.

They deliberately pointed out the word "may" when explaining this. It is not "must" or "shall not" for a reason...

If you have a good dealer. I would not worry.
The person you talked to is incorrect. This is a DIRECT quote from the FAQ on the Ford Partner website:

26. Can I be charged a “document fee†(doc fee) by my dealer?

No. Fees related to Partner Recognition Plan sales for document preparation or similar administrative services are not allowed. If the dealer charges you a documentary fee please call 1-800-348-7709 and report the issue. Sales under the Mazda S-Plan may be subject to document preparation and/or other administrative services fees. Please review all fees with your Mazda sales consultant and be sure you understand and agree prior to completing a sale.
Old 5/7/05, 02:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I just called the other day. Get this. I was told that a rule went into effect as of 4/25, and the dealer could...

...charge various administrative and preperation fees (as they see fit) over the X-Plan price.

It now sounds like all bets are off, and depending upon the dealer, we may have a few surprises waiting for us.
Old 5/10/05, 08:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by aponyfan@May 7, 2005, 2:03 PM
I just called the other day. Get this. I was told that a rule went into effect as of 4/25, and the dealer could...

...charge various administrative and preperation fees (as they see fit) over the X-Plan price.

It now sounds like all bets are off, and depending upon the dealer, we may have a few surprises waiting for us.
You're right. I sent an email to x-plan customer service about the doc fees and this is the response I got:

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company on 05/9/05. We appreciate
the time you have taken to write us.

As of 25 April 2005, dealerships have been directed to charge additional
fees previously excluded under the AXZ plans; please request further
clarification regarding current plan pricing from your participating
dealership.

At Ford Motor Company, we consider the satisfaction of our customers as
one of our most important objectives. If you have any other inquiries
or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to
address them.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,
Marc
Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
I guess now you have to pay extra close attention to the paperwork to make sure the dealer isn't trying to make up for the x-plan discount with additional fees.
Old 5/10/05, 09:06 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@May 10, 2005, 8:46 AM

I guess now you have to pay extra close attention to the paperwork to make sure the dealer isn't trying to make up for the x-plan discount with additional fees.
So this is retro-active?! Nice to know you can go to a Ford dealership, come to an agreement on a car and, while waiting months for it to arrive, they change the rules so they can bleed more money out of you. :notnice:

I have a copy of the order (not a legally binding document) that lists the final price with tax & tags so I really hope my dealer doesn't have additional "fees" when I go to get my car.

I think membership in the "My First Ford, My Last Ford" club is going to grow.
Old 5/10/05, 09:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by E-Rock+May 10, 2005, 9:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(E-Rock @ May 10, 2005, 9:09 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-TomServo92@May 10, 2005, 8:46 AM

So this is retro-active?! Nice to know you can go to a Ford dealership, come to an agreement on a car and, while waiting months for it to arrive, they change the rules so they can bleed more money out of you. :notnice:

I have a copy of the order (not a legally binding document) that lists the final price with tax & tags so I really hope my dealer doesn't have additional "fees" when I go to get my car.

I think membership in the "My First Ford, My Last Ford" club is going to grow.
[/b][/quote]

I assume that if you don't have a signed sales contract with the final agreed price then they could tack on the doc fees.
Old 5/11/05, 01:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Shutter866@May 6, 2005, 9:56 AM
The dealer i'm talking to wants to add a $349 Doc. fee to the Xplan price. Can they do that?
[SIZE=7]NO...Not unless you let them!!![/SIZE] :notnice: