2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

DIY Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 9/10/06, 03:39 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67
5W-50?? Don't you mean 5W-20? 5W-50 would probably do some damage with all the variable valve timing and stuff in these engines...very sensitive to oil weight and pressure.

OK . . . I concede . . . old school thinking got the best of me.
I also looked at http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/49...ol-syntec.html
Old 9/10/06, 04:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by karman
Could you quote a source on that information?
Well, quart size Trop Artic and Motorcraft oil come in identical containers (except for color of course) and in both lines 5w20 and 5w30 are synthetic blends while 10w30 and 10w40 are not. However, I think this might be the most convincing of the lot.

http://www.conocophillips.com/newsro...ence_Award.htm
Old 9/10/06, 07:05 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by jsaylor
Well, quart size Trop Artic and Motorcraft oil come in identical containers (except for color of course) and in both lines 5w20 and 5w30 are synthetic blends while 10w30 and 10w40 are not. However, I think this might be the most convincing of the lot.

http://www.conocophillips.com/newsro...ence_Award.htm
Thanks.
Old 9/11/06, 10:44 AM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Double Thanks!!

I wonder why Don Stewart <Texaco Dist> carries Motorcraft in their line?
Old 9/11/06, 03:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
This doesn't mean that CononcoPhilips is the sole supplier of oil for Motorcraft. It only means that they are one of the suppliers. I work for a major oil company (not ConocoPhilips) and the facility that I work for has a blending plant and we blend oil for a variety of third parties including Toyota, GM, Honda, Redline, and (if my memory serves) Ford. The oils are all blended to a spec supplied by these companies. Just because it's blended by ConocoPhilips (or anyone else) doesn't mean it's identical to that brand's oil.
Old 9/11/06, 09:05 PM
Bullitt Member

This time around, Wally World did have the Motorcraft 5w-20 syth blend in the 5 qt. containers. Definitely cheaper than 5 separate qts. I bought the 5 qt. container + 1 extra qt.
Old 9/15/06, 09:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by TomServo92
Just because it's blended by ConocoPhilips (or anyone else) doesn't mean it's identical to that brand's oil.
Motorcraft is indeed unique and is formulated differently from any of ConocoPhilips branded blends (a fact which you likely know better than do I)
Old 9/16/06, 09:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Anyone use FRPP(CM-6730-FL820) oil filter yet. Claims 50% more flow. It seems that the Ford site is only selling them by the case??? Where can you get them, how much, and is it worth it... Thanks
Old 9/17/06, 07:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

Usually more flow = less filtering, more dirt passing through, etc. If it is a synthetic media filter, then just the opposite is true. Synthetic media filters can trap more dirt, smaller particle size, AND have less restriction. I'm not sure if this filter is synthetic media or not but I believe in the synthetic filters, such as Mobil 1's filter (about $8), and Amsoil's EaO filters (about $15)
Old 10/10/06, 08:42 AM
V6 Member

Talking Why 5W-20 oil? Just for fuel economy?

It took a while but I finally found something from Ford (https://www.fleet.ford.com/FFH/Why5W...ews=Commercial) about this, "Some customers are reluctant to follow Ford's recommendation to use 5W-20 oil in their engines based on the incorrect assumption that Ford and other Auto Manufacturers only recommend 5W-20 oil in order to increase fuel economy. Using 5W-20 oil can increase fuel economy by about 6/10ths of a percent compared to 5W-30 and more if you are currently using a higher viscosity oil. This equates to an additional savings of 125 million gallons per year when used in all applicable Ford vehicles. Since its introduction in the 2001 MY, 5W-20 oils have saved up to 640 million gallons of gasoline in the U.S. or an equivalent 5.6 million metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions.
5W-20 oil is a thinner oil with lighter viscosity that creates less drag on the crankshaft, pistons and valvetrain. Additionally, the oil pump can pump thinner oil more easily, improving oil circulation. Any increase in fuel economy may not be noticed by the average motorist. Machined internal engine parts are more precise than the parts of 20 years ago. This means that clearances between moving parts are smaller and more exact. Thinner oil such as 5W-20 can flow more freely through the engine while still filling the spaces. Thicker oil is harder to push through the spaces between the parts. This causes the oil pump to work harder, which in turn increases oil pressure while simultaneously decreasing oil volume. A lack of oil volume results in a decrease of lubrication and cooling, which may decrease engine part life. The lighter viscosity of 5W-20 oil flows faster at start-up compared to higher viscosity oils, which helps reduce engine wear in critical areas by lubricating parts faster. Valvetrain components at the top of the engine require immediate lubrication at start-up. Oil additives are not recommended as noted in the owners manual. The American Petroleum Institute (API) certifies that oils such as Motorcraft 5W-20 already contain the necessary additives for friction, detergent, etc... The addition of additives may interfere and react with the additives already present in the certified oil."

As well, all the Ford Owner Manuals (Mustang Owner Guide Manual US, Scheduled Maintenance Guide US, & Warranty Guide US) are found at https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp
Old 10/11/06, 01:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for the info Verted!
Old 10/11/06, 01:09 PM
Cobra R Member

I did my first oil change this past sunday night. Easy and awesome,

but i thought i had bought the wrong oil filter at first. just a tad tricky to get threaded at first.

very nice very easy, and thumbs up to ford for the steel oil pan.
Old 10/11/06, 06:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Are ramps mandatory? I haven't had to use a ramp to change the oil on any Ford we have owned. My Crown Vic has 5.2" of GC and is very tight, but i manage w/o ramps.
Old 10/11/06, 06:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Verted
It took a while but I finally found something from Ford (https://www.fleet.ford.com/FFH/Why5W...ews=Commercial) about this, "Some customers are reluctant to follow Ford's recommendation to use 5W-20 oil in their engines based on the incorrect assumption that Ford and other Auto Manufacturers only recommend 5W-20 oil in order to increase fuel economy. Using 5W-20 oil can increase fuel economy by about 6/10ths of a percent compared to 5W-30 and more if you are currently using a higher viscosity oil. This equates to an additional savings of 125 million gallons per year when used in all applicable Ford vehicles. Since its introduction in the 2001 MY, 5W-20 oils have saved up to 640 million gallons of gasoline in the U.S. or an equivalent 5.6 million metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions.
5W-20 oil is a thinner oil with lighter viscosity that creates less drag on the crankshaft, pistons and valvetrain. Additionally, the oil pump can pump thinner oil more easily, improving oil circulation. Any increase in fuel economy may not be noticed by the average motorist. Machined internal engine parts are more precise than the parts of 20 years ago. This means that clearances between moving parts are smaller and more exact. Thinner oil such as 5W-20 can flow more freely through the engine while still filling the spaces. Thicker oil is harder to push through the spaces between the parts. This causes the oil pump to work harder, which in turn increases oil pressure while simultaneously decreasing oil volume. A lack of oil volume results in a decrease of lubrication and cooling, which may decrease engine part life. The lighter viscosity of 5W-20 oil flows faster at start-up compared to higher viscosity oils, which helps reduce engine wear in critical areas by lubricating parts faster. Valvetrain components at the top of the engine require immediate lubrication at start-up. Oil additives are not recommended as noted in the owners manual. The American Petroleum Institute (API) certifies that oils such as Motorcraft 5W-20 already contain the necessary additives for friction, detergent, etc... The addition of additives may interfere and react with the additives already present in the certified oil."

As well, all the Ford Owner Manuals (Mustang Owner Guide Manual US, Scheduled Maintenance Guide US, & Warranty Guide US) are found at https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

Using 5W-20 oil can increase fuel economy by about 6/10ths of a percent compared to 5W-30 and more if you are currently using a higher viscosity oil. This equates to an additional savings of 125 million gallons per year when used in all applicable Ford vehicles. Since its introduction in the 2001 MY, 5W-20 oils have saved up to 640 million gallons of gasoline in the U.S. or an equivalent 5.6 million metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions.
They basically just said the real reason why 5W-20 is used (fuel economy / CAFE). The same modular engines overseas can see anything from 5W-30 to 5W-50.

Some UOAs of 5W-20 show excessive metal wear compared to 5W-30.

I use only Group IV/V synthetic engine oils in my Ford modular engines and do 6000 mile changes or once a year, whichever comes first. I change my engine oil once a year as well. Oil filters rarely, if ever, clog up. It is the bypass and anti-drain back valve that wears out due to cycling. The FL-820-S uses a silicone ADBV, which lasts quite a long time compared to nitrile rubber. The bypass valve is only necessary when the filter media gets clogged up, which should never happen if your engine is in good shape.

Mobil 1, Redline, Amsoil, Pennzoil Platinum, and German Castrol 0W-30 are all full synthetics you can trust. Castrol Syntec (except for the German Castrol 0W-30) is Group III severely hydrocracked dino oil.

I've heard Ford dealerships tell customers that the Motorcraft 5W-20 synth blend is superior to Amsoil 0W-30 and dump out all 6 qt of the 0W-30 to refill with the 5W-20. So, I would recommend sticking with whatever Ford wants until your warranty goes tango uniform.
Old 10/11/06, 06:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
They basically just said the real reason why 5W-20 is used. The same modular engines overseas can see anything from 5W-30 to 5W-50.
Do you have a link to that info?
Old 10/11/06, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
Are ramps mandatory? I haven't had to use a ramp to change the oil on any Ford we have owned. My Crown Vic has 5.2" of GC and is very tight, but i manage w/o ramps.
They are for me. There is no way I can get under the car to get at the plug and filter otherwise.
Old 10/12/06, 12:36 AM
Bullitt Member

I built these mini-ramps out of four 2'x2"x12"s, because I can't get my floor jack under my lowered car:

Just a quick FYI on Viscosity.
Remember that when 5W-20 oil is at operating temperature, it is phenomenally thin (about 50 Saybolt).

Keep in mind this definition of a 5W-20 oil:
It behaves like a 5 weight at 0F
The “W” means “safe for Winter applications”
It behaves like a 20 weight at 212F.

By the viscosity tables, I read the following Viscosities:
a 5 weight oil has a viscosity of about 3,000 Saybolt at 0F
a 20 weight oil has a viscosity of about 50 Saybolt at 212F
a 30 weight oil has a viscosity of about 65 Saybolt at 212F
a 40 weight oil has a viscosity of about 70 Saybolt at 212F
a 50 weight oil has a viscosity of about 95 Saybolt at 212F

So, if your top number is 20, 30, 40, or 50, they are all far thinner than 5 weight at 0F. You won't hurt your engine, and actually would protect it better with a higher second-number oil. These thin second-number oils are all about fuel economy. Note that the new Shelby REQUIRES 5W-50 because of the bearing loads, so you know that the thicker-at-temperature oil will work in engines of this general design.
Old 10/12/06, 01:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

I got back into changing my own oil again. I dropped off my used oil at Walmart. I was required to fill-out paperwork which requested my name, address, and quantity of oil. The man working the automotive dept said it was something new required since 911. I doubt that. I think that is an excuse they use to keep people from complaining about paperwork. They made no attempt to verify that anything I wrote was valid.

BTW, i wouldn't think of using anything other than synthetic oil. Buy it when it's on sale and you'll have it when it's time for your next change.
Old 10/12/06, 04:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by neil07gt
I got back into changing my own oil again. I dropped off my used oil at Walmart. I was required to fill-out paperwork which requested my name, address, and quantity of oil. The man working the automotive dept said it was something new required since 911. I doubt that. I think that is an excuse they use to keep people from complaining about paperwork. They made no attempt to verify that anything I wrote was valid.
It's Enviromental Law.
Old 10/12/06, 04:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

So ramps or at least blocks are necessary for a person to fit under the S197 in order to change the engine oil?

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Changes