2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Discouraging News or Just a Sales Tactic?

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/05, 11:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Maverick128@March 11, 2005, 12:08 PM
There's no Sonic Blue for '06 so I'm going to order today and hope I get it by the end of July.
I hope you get the one you want in the color you want. I'm in the same boat. After considering Sonic Blue, Screaming Yellow, and Torch Red, I've finally settled on Legend Lime (talk about running the gamut!). I have had so many blue cars in the past, I just felt it was time for a change! Now I almost wish color didn't matter...

Keep us posted on your success.
Old 3/11/05, 06:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's an update on my progress, or lack thereof. The GM of this dealership talked to me on Monday and said it would be fine if I came in on Friday to order. I go in there about 20 minutes ago and start talking to a sales person and they start to ask me what I want on my 06. I tell him an 05 model year. He laughs and tells me that Ford told them on Wednesday not to take any more orders on ANY Mustangs but they would be happy to put my name down as first on the list to order an 06 WITH my x-plan. I'm kinda ticked off right now but I'm going to call a small-town dealership about an hour away that said they would be happy to order me one at x-plan. Of course that was this past Monday also so we'll see if this is true.
Old 3/11/05, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Maverick128@March 11, 2005, 8:32 PM
Here's an update on my progress, or lack thereof. The GM of this dealership talked to me on Monday and said it would be fine if I came in on Friday to order. I go in there about 20 minutes ago and start talking to a sales person and they start to ask me what I want on my 06. I tell him an 05 model year. He laughs and tells me that Ford told them on Wednesday not to take any more orders on ANY Mustangs but they would be happy to put my name down as first on the list to order an 06 WITH my x-plan. I'm kinda ticked off right now but I'm going to call a small-town dealership about an hour away that said they would be happy to order me one at x-plan. Of course that was this past Monday also so we'll see if this is true.

I live 20 miles from what claims to be the largest volume Ford dealer in USA and placed an order Tuesday for a GT convert. The dealer told me to expect delivery the end of the year as an 06! I ordered redfire but would like to change to a blue if the 06's had something different than the purple looking sonice blue and the light colored windviel blue. Anybody know what the 06 colors are?
Old 3/11/05, 11:00 PM
V6 Member

Has anyone gotten a build date or taken delivery on an order that had a priority of 40? It seems like only 10's are getting pulled and if you're 40 your screwed. I think I'm going to go rant to my sales manager and try and get him to change it.
Old 3/12/05, 12:37 AM
Bullitt Member

I ordered my GT coupe four weeks ago today. My dealer (a friend) left me a message this afternoon, guaranteeing me my car on his April build allocation. He also said that he had not anticipated how difficult it would be to get, when I placed the order in back Feb.
I will have more details next week, but it sounds like as previously mentioned, the allocations are lower than planned, on the GT coupes anyway...
Paul.
Old 3/12/05, 12:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts
Celtic, I basically heard the same thing from two of the largest dealers in my area today.

Looks like if we want our "05's we may have to go another route, like carsdirect.com or something like that.
Old 3/12/05, 01:36 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

What your dealer is saying is the same reason I gave up on my 1/3/05 order and bought one off the lot at another dealership - and this falls in line with what I was told by my dealerships fleet manager on 2/25, my dealership recommend I look around the state if I wanted an 05. (Same Info which I posted on this forum and I had stated I wasnt sure how accurate the info was. Looks like they didnt mislead me)
Old 3/12/05, 10:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford from the start said they were building 70% V6s and 30% GTs. Obviously there is more of a demand for the GTs than 30%. I believe Ford is fast approaching the 30% limit on GTs. I think the only dealers who can still order them are the big allotment dealerships. (just my personal feelings).

I was a priority 80 when I ordered Nov 26th.. stayed that till Feb 24th when I got a build week of Mar 14th.
Old 3/13/05, 12:29 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by RaGsHoCkEy88@March 11, 2005, 10:57 AM
i ordered 1/18.......im the next in line to get pulled and im just waiting to hear it. there was someone who ordered 1/12 and was pulled but someone who ordered in december and is c/u. what a mess. im still thinking i might not even get my car
I believe you were referring to me Rags... yep, ordered 1/12, serialized 3/10, and I now have a build week of 4/4! I would expect they wouldn't cancel existing orders just stop accepting new ones, but who knows.

FYI - My dealer was honest with me... when he said I was next to be pulled he was right. Robot chick agreed Friday and Yesterday but I haven't be able to get a response from her today, she must be down.
Old 3/13/05, 01:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If your car is C/U does that mean you will be definately getting a car eventually...and if they put you at the front of the line for an 06, will they be selling it to you for the agreed upon 05 price, or a new 06 price???
Old 3/13/05, 02:52 PM
Cobra Member

Now I'm lost AND confused, and more than a little frustrated. I went to two dealers yesterday, trying to narrow down the list of prospective suppliers and I'm getting mixed messages regarding allocation and the difference between VOC and DORA.

The first dealer kept telling me that the VOC was the same as the DORA, which we know to be false. I told them that the VOC (Vehicle Order Confirmation) was simply a record of an order being placed. I also told them that the DORA (Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement) was a confirmation from Ford that they received the order and that it was completed to their satisfaction. I felt like these guys were lying through their teeth. I knew I was in trouble when the sales manager gave me that "I've been in this business for 22 years" speech...

The second dealer didn't think a DORA was necessary, although he said I could get it if I really wanted it. He wanted me to put down $1,000. We struck a deal. The car was priced at $500 over dealer invoice, which worked out to be $1,587 lower than MSRP. I thought it was a fair deal, approximately 5% over dealer cost. Seemed fair enough. However, he said that they couldn't guarantee a concrete price; that the overall cost would still be subject to future price increases between the time the order is placed and the actual delivery. He said I could get my deposit back if the car came in and wasn't built to my specs. Again, fair enough.

Here's the catch: the WEEKEND manager felt that they weren't making enough profit on my order and that the market isn't soft enough to justify the deal. They said they would order the car as a stock unit, then add my name to the VOC once I gave them the deposit. (BTW, the FIRST dealer ALREADY had my name on a VOC, and I didn't even order a car from them!) Why wouldn't they add my name to the VOC NOW?

The salesman has to wait until Monday to speak to his immediate supervisor, and get him to approve the deal. I had no problem giving them a deposit; in fact, I WANTED to leave a deposit so that I could feel like I was getting somewhere. However, the salesman said to wait until we get the approval. He was pretty confident that his supervisor would approve, but he wouldn't be able to process the order until he got the okay.

Here's my take on the situation: wouldn't you like to make a LITTLE profit, rather than NO profit at all? This is excruciating! :bang:

Time to update my signature again: Ordering a 2006 Mustang GT Coupe!

Or should I hold out and see what happens with these guys? As always, your input is appreciated. Thanks, folks!
Old 3/13/05, 03:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Bummer dude!!! The saga continues, I feel your pain!!!! Keep the faith, one way or another we'll eventually win and bring home the 05 prize.
Old 3/13/05, 04:11 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

call and talk w/ the fleet manager yourself - avoid the middle man, the sales person. you will get a better deal
Old 3/13/05, 06:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by CelticCub@March 13, 2005, 3:55 PM
I told them that the VOC (Vehicle Order Confirmation) was simply a record of an order being placed. I also told them that the DORA (Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement) was a confirmation from Ford that they received the order and that it was completed to their satisfaction.
A VOC can be produced without ever ordering the car. Every time I spec out an order to quote a price I print a VOC. You want the DORA to confirm that the order was submitted and submitted correctly.

However, he said that they couldn't guarantee a concrete price; that the overall cost would still be subject to future price increases between the time the order is placed and the actual delivery.
That is wrong, sold orders are price protected. Make sure that you get a firm selling price up front, regardless of any future price increases.

He said I could get my deposit back if the car came in and wasn't built to my specs. Again, fair enough.
The only way the car won't arrive as ordered is if either they misorder it (getting DORA covers this problem) or they intentionally change the order later to speed up process (such as dropping IUP, etc).

Here's my take on the situation: wouldn't you like to make a LITTLE profit, rather than NO profit at all? This is excruciating! :bang:
The problem is they realize they are going to make a profit on that unit of allocation and probably more if they sell it to someone else.

Or should I hold out and see what happens with these guys? As always, your input is appreciated. Thanks, folks!
Wait for the call Monday, but my guess is that your deal won't happen.
Old 3/13/05, 07:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

CelticCub,
We were going back and forth between 05-06 Mustangs. As soon as we were told NO 05 from our dealer we first ordered from, (after we pushed them about DORA, if we didn’t push we would have floated to October). We knew we wouldn’t be satisfied if we didn't try our best to a find a dealer that had a chance of getting one.

AJC is exactly right about working with fleet mangers, call and ask DO YOU HAVE ALOCATION for 2005 Mustang GT, if not, do you know who does? They know what is going on in the region, you can swat though 100 miles at a time when you find someone that knows what’s going on. We found that the Pittsburg Erie region only has 7 allocations for the next 3 months. Cincinnati: no allocation.

We ended up in Michigan 350 miles away, to find a dealer with allocation. We have received DORA within a day, BEFORE we put $1000.00 down. See signature at bottom for review of our steps. Do you want me to find out if they have anymore allocation?

MustangDan
Old 3/13/05, 07:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by MustangDan@March 13, 2005, 8:04 PM
We ended up in Michigan 350 miles away, to find a dealer with allocation. We have received DORA within a day, BEFORE we put $1000.00 down.
MustangDan
You do realize that getting the DORA has nothing to do with wether or not they have any available allocation. Don't use the fact that you got a DORA as a guarantee that you will get a car.
Old 3/13/05, 08:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Karpro,
Thank you, I wonder why is DORA so hard to get, when do we know it will actually happen? So much for sleeping, I hope I’m not just hearing what I want to hear through this.

Thanks again.

Mustang Dan

PS Do you have any alotment for CelticCub?
Old 3/13/05, 09:46 PM
Cobra Member

Mega thanks to Paul and Dan for your advice. You're a voice of reason in an asylum! It's nice to hear rationale dialog that's free of double talk. I appreciate that more than you could know, especially after this weekend!

I also appreciate AJC's suggestion about pursuing the fleet sales manager for the low down. Interesting angle. Never considered that!

This whole process would normally tick me off, but now I'm more motivated than ever to get my own GT, built to my specs. It's becoming a matter of principle. I must confess that sometimes I wish I weren't so darn stubborn about getting exactly what I want (it's an Irish trait), but it's a large chunk of change I'll be laying down, so I think my doggedness is justified.

It will be interesting to hear what the salesman says tomorrow. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst...
Old 3/13/05, 11:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well Good luck to ya Chris! I hope you get good news about your deal but, if not I'm sure you can find it elsewhere with just a little more work. If it comes down to it you know we will all search for your car.
Old 3/14/05, 07:52 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Treadhead@March 14, 2005, 1:49 AM
Well Good luck to ya Chris! I hope you get good news about your deal but, if not I'm sure you can find it elsewhere with just a little more work. If it comes down to it you know we will all search for your car.
Thanks, Jim. I appreciate any help at all. That's what makes this site great. Networking towards a common goal; to make ownership possible and enjoyable!

Still no word, but I'm about to head out and see what's going on in person before heading to work.

Quick Reply: Discouraging News or Just a Sales Tactic?