Search this Thread

Old 10/27/04, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is hilarious
Old 10/27/04, 06:39 PM
Cobra Member

and useful as well.

Just to let the original poster know-I have no problems with any of those problems on mine. The mirrors are great in my opinion.
Old 10/27/04, 06:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Grimlock+October 27, 2004, 7:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grimlock @ October 27, 2004, 7:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jgsmuzzy@October 26, 2004, 4:19 AM
As the New V6 has the same power as your 5.0 V8, the performance shouldn't be that different........ as you stated you had to reach for the steering wheel, are you sure you were managing to push the pedel right to the floor??
While the peak HP is similar, the 4.0 V6 is not going to move a heavier car like the '05 nearly as fast as the 5.0 V8 moved a Fox. You have to consider torque and the hp/torque curves of the engines as well as weight of the vehicles. [/b][/quote]
Dont forget the 5-speed ATX is light years more efficient getting the car going then the older autos. The 1/2/3 is MUCH faster then the old 4 speed.
Old 10/27/04, 06:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

I thought the steering wheel is the best position of any Ford ever, its ergonomically perfect, and I loved the size and placement of the mirrors I guarantee the V6 runs dead on with a 95 5.0 auto in speed, its actaully pretty quick. Old 5.0's unmodified are nowhere as fast as people think they are, the autos in particular are dogs. Again, the old platform 'feels' like its going faster then it really is. The 4.0 is pretty stout for modification anyway, you can probably supercharge it easilly and pay V6 insurance. If you are not worried about insurance costs(or a little older), why on earth skip the gt anyway? they are too cheap to pass up on.
Old 10/27/04, 06:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

I am quite in the know on the 86 GT. It is still one of my favorites, I had bought one new in 87 brand new with t-tops and the 5-speed. It was not that fast, mid 6's for 5-speed, about 7 flat for an auto. I liked the looks of it better then any fox platform(the 87's ugliness MADE me dump my life's savings to gobble up a late 86 to start with) all the way up to the 1999. It also had the best seats of ANY fox gt, they were fantastic. I did not have the cruise option so I got the 3 spoke wheel over the huge bar two spoke optional one, yet another favorite part for me over the years and VERY rare for gt's to have, it was great too. It did use the tiny mirrors straight from the fairmont though, so looking at 05's will look huge in contrast. That car is SO far from the new car its very hard to even compare them.
Old 10/27/04, 07:03 PM
Bullitt Member

i test drove a V6 and it felt great and i will soon be getting one!
Old 10/27/04, 07:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Highlander@October 27, 2004, 6:01 PM
The seats have a cool height adjustment feature as well.
ding ding ding
I think we have a winner
Old 10/27/04, 07:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

jman - dude, you have to be pretty short (no flames here, just an opinion) for the mirrors to be essentially head high. You said they were in your 'line of sight' - I take that to mean that they block the view of the crossing lanes which means you are sitting pretty darn low in the car. And, if your seat was too far away the steering I'm assuming you already had it all the way forward.

Just curious, but exactly how tall are you? Again, no flames here - just wondering why the car did not 'fit' you as well as it could/should have.

Good luck with what ever vehicle you buy. For me, my next vehicle will absolutely be a new 'Stang!
Old 10/27/04, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I gotta fart :shock:
Old 10/27/04, 09:42 PM

Hey All,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. I just started my vacation and I flew to Florida today to visit my brother.

Anyhow, since everyone wants to know, I'm 5'11" and 175 lbs. The 05 I drove was totally bare bones, so I don't think it had seat height adjustment, but the pedals were a comfortable distance, so the steering wheel should have been as well, but it just wasn't. I don't know, it just didn't seem to fit me. When I sat in the redfire GT back when they were hauling it across the country, I don't remember having the same experience when I sat in it; but the V6 car just didn't seem to fit me. To each his own, I guess. Maybe I'll take another test drive, because I'm completely bummed about it.

The "lack" of power in the V6 that I experienced wasn't really that big of a deal for me. I guess I just expected more, because I've driven around in the Escape, which I thought had a 4.0L, and it was pretty peppy. And for the guy that was saying that it comes from the factory with about the same power as my 86 GT didn't take into account that my 5-speed is a no options model that weighed in at around 2950 lbs, and has significantly more torque than the 05 V6. Back in the day, it would slam my hiney in the seat. I could pretty much tear up 1st gear at any RPM with a tap of the throttle (no clutch trickery needed). Maybe I got a gem, or perhaps the 1st owner modded it without admitting it, but it was fast.
Old 10/27/04, 10:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by jman@October 25, 2004, 10:27 PM
Hey guys,

I was in the market for a 05 V6 till this weekend, when I finally got the opportunity to drive it. First, I’ll say that fit and finish is very good. But there were three huge problems with the car that for me were deal breakers. The first is that the steering wheel is so far away. I really had to reach for it. That’s kind of a big deal if you cruise on the hwy for several hours, and have no way of just leaning your elbow on the armrest. Secondly, and I think most importantly, the seating position puts the side view mirrors directly in your field of vision. That coupled with the fact that they are 2-3 times the size of the mirrors on its predecessor makes them an obstacle. I found them to be right in my line of sight when negotiating a right turn into traffic. I actually had to move around a bit so I could see around them. Personally, I think that was a huge design flaw from Ford, from a safety point of view. Lastly, the V6 was weak. My stock 86 GT with 220k miles on it could easily hand it its azz, and my car's tired. Any stock maxima would absolutely smoke it. Personally, I would feel ashamed to have a stock family sedan smoke my sports car.

Maybe I’m the only one here that feels this way, but I’m hugely disappointed. Anyway, no flames please. I’m just expressing my opinion as objectively as possible.
you seriously wondering why a 30k maxima can beat a 19k mustng?

get a cobra for 30.. then lets see whos in whos rearview mirror
Old 10/27/04, 10:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I still cannot envision how a fellow who's almost six feet tall would have the mirrors head high and in the way of his vision, but I certainly agree if that is the case you've got to go with a different car! If you can't see on-coming traffic, your love of the Mustang isn't gonna keep you from getting killed.
Old 10/27/04, 11:20 PM

Dude im 6'2" and i have none of those troubles. i think you just need to adjust your seat or something
Old 10/27/04, 11:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 97svtgoin05gt@October 26, 2004, 7:07 AM
The Maxima is a tough car to compare with. Nissan has a glorious V-6 that has been named in the top 10 engine list like 10 years running. A Maxima is what caused me to want to sell my '97 GT convertible. I was barely able to handle that car with it. They are about the strongest V-6 on the market. Generally speaking, at this point, no Ford or GM V-6 will handle that Nissan. We'll just get our ( ) ( ) handed to us. I can't however speak to this generation V-6 because I haven't driven the car. I would have to think though that it's got to be the best 6 pin ever offered in a Mustang.

If you're that interested in NOT having your ( ) ( ) handed to you by several cars out there, you'd better save your money and buy a GT.
I am not buying the car for racing & power. If I were I would not be buying a stang. At least not for racing on a stock car with no changes. Now if I were to make changes than yeah I would save my moneyb & get the GT. But that's not he case & I don't recall implying that it was.

And you say that you came out of a 97 GT Vert & HAD trouble handeling the Maxima. Are you sure you were running an all 8 cylinders in the GT? Because dude I have driven a 96,02, & 03 V6 Stang & I have also driven my friends V6 stock Maxima. And I have to say that I had NO trouble at all handeling the car. The only difference between her car & mine driving wise is that hers being a 4dr is quite a bigger car when compared to my 2dr. But other than that I didn't notice anything different driving wise.

Not only her Maxima either. I have also driver her dads Nissian Frontier, supercharged V6. And I had NO problems at all handeling that truck either. Now I'm not saying that he couldn't take me in the Frontier but she defiently can't take me in her Maxima. I would bet money on that one. And I usually don't lose when I bet money.

Sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention. I am just calling it like I see it, based on my experiences.
Old 10/27/04, 11:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mustangs are not sports cars. They are muscle cars plain and simple. A Mustang is not going to perform like a Mazda RX8. As far steering, seating and mirrors those are adjustments that all drivers have to make and accomodate for.

RJ Spencer
Advanced Driving Instructor
Edmonton, Alberta
Old 10/27/04, 11:55 PM
Cobra Member

Not only her Maxima either. I have also driver her dads Nissian Frontier, supercharged V6. And I had NO problems at all handeling that truck either. Now I'm not saying that he couldn't take me in the Frontier but she defiently can't take me in her Maxima.
The Frontier supercharged V6 only produces 210hp. :notnice:

The Ranger/Mustang N/A V6 produces 207/210hp. :yes:
Old 10/28/04, 05:31 AM
GT Member

the 4.0 will definitely hold it's own around town, even against the 4.6. the v6 is a big bore motor: lots of torque. the car is lighter by 150 lbs over the 4.6 and the gearing on the standard for the lower gears give's it another advantage. the biggest advantage though to having a v6 over the v8 is the handling...all the added weight of the v8 is over the front end...absolutely ver boten for a rwd platform...the v6 will be a real handler in the twisties...jackg 90seville 95k
Old 10/28/04, 12:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Dr Iven@October 27, 2004, 11:58 PM
Not only her Maxima either. I have also driver her dads Nissian Frontier, supercharged V6. And I had NO problems at all handeling that truck either. Now I'm not saying that he couldn't take me in the Frontier but she defiently can't take me in her Maxima.
The Frontier supercharged V6 only produces 210hp. :notnice:

The Ranger/Mustang N/A V6 produces 207/210hp. :yes:
Yeah well. I didn't know exactly how much HP it produced. I was just commiting on another Nissian V6. Since it seemed to me that he was implying that nothing Ford made could compete.

Another thing I am just to understand is why 97svtgoin05gt came out of a 97 GT Vert & had trouble handeling the Maxima V6. To me that is slap **** funny. It's histerical.
Old 10/28/04, 01:06 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sitting in that seat "ghetto style"? You know, reclined all the way back so all we can see is your eyes-up! I just don't see how it is possible you fit so awkwardly in this car when everyone else thinks it is the best seat, steering wheel and shifter placement.

Quote"When I sat in the redfire GT back when they were hauling it across the country, I don't remember having the same experience when I sat in it; but the V6 car just didn't seem to fit me. "

What, did FORD re-design the interior of the V6 to force people to buy the GT? I think the seat was just in a different position and you were to excited to change it.
Old 10/28/04, 01:49 PM
Bullitt Member

A bare bones V-6 has the height adjustment as well so, the GT had to have it. Try it next time.

Quick Reply: disappointed