2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you test drive before buying?

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/05, 06:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No test drive and never saw one in person before my order. I did get to drive a manual GT about a month later at the Innovation Drive here. :drive:
Old 1/20/05, 06:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Technically yes.
ORTHOGUY was kind enough to let me take his pony for a spin.
I already had my mind made up. The stripes on his are truly awesome.
And the car? No words can describe it.
Old 1/20/05, 07:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Me and the wife never got to test drive a GT before ordering. A week or so after ordering they received a yellow GT manual, went and talked to my salesman and he gave us the keys. I think we both came back with smiles on our face from ear to ear. Didn't drive the auto. until I got behind the wheel of mine, and have been enjoying it everytime I drive it.
Old 1/20/05, 07:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

My dealer also let me take a V6 "around the block". Not satisfied with that short experience, I rented an '05 V6 Auto with 2.8 miles on it over the MLK holiday - they had just come in. Was very impressed but am still waiting for a local dealer to keep a GT on the lot for more than 30 seconds so I can test drive that for comparo. I have a 40 mile commute and for practicality sake I should probably go with the V6. But if the GT reminds me of my old '70 SS, then heck with the practicality!
Old 1/20/05, 07:15 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by robs@January 20, 2005, 2:07 PM
While out to lunch, I got to see a white 05 GT. I noticed it just in time to see (and hear) the driver give it some gas to accelerate thought an intersection. What a beautiful sound! Makes the wait all the harder. Got me thinking... how many of you got to test drive a GT before you put your order in?

I'll admit... I have yet to drive an 05 GT. At the time I ordered, no dealers had a GT to drive. About year ago I test drove a 03 Mach 1 and loved it! However, I saw the 05 concept and decided to wait. I was able to drive an 05 V6 before I odered and was very impressed. It didn't have the kick the Mach did, but I'm sure the GT will not let me down.

So I'm curious, am I the only one with an order in who has yet to drive the model they ordered? :scratch:
Ordered it last May. They weren't even building the Mustang yet.
Old 1/20/05, 07:21 PM

Test drove a V6 first and was more than impressed, then my wonderful wife says "why don't you get the GT?"

That's all all a needed to hear.

Never drove the GT until we showed up at the dealership pick it up.
Salesman gave us keys and said "check it out while I get the papers ready."
Like I was gonna change mine mind.
If it did anything at all it got me to where I could not sit still in his office.

Who knows what I signed I just wanted to get and go. :drive:
Old 1/20/05, 07:21 PM
V6 Member

Saw it for the first time back in Feb at the show in Chicago.
Was going to wait for the vert, but the LX told me to go ahead and get the coupe immediately back in Oct. That's how I translated 'Check Engine' anyways.

It's still telling me to get one.
Old 1/20/05, 07:30 PM
GT Member

I ran across a Ford site that said... make an appointment for a test drive, callled the dealer and he said come on in for a short drive. I drove white auto GT, then went home to hunt down the best deal.

I realized the dealer keeps the new Stangs tanks on 'E,' probably an incenttive to go back when they hear "let me just swing down to Miami to show my dad." The dealer did say they have a lot of teens wanting to drive even though they won't be buying.

Sorry to add a familiar bummer... but are all of you recent GT getters receiving your car with the "My Color" dash?

I'm kind of confused about this... is it an unexpected demand thing? the upgrade causes side airbag deployment problems? is it a patent infringement? or all of it?

Has anyone been guaranteed theirs will have My Color, but it's just going to take longer?

Is Ford going to settle? Won't they lose $ if they don't?? :scratch:
Old 1/20/05, 08:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

I didn't test drive before buying.

Actually, I hadn't even sat in one before buying.

But hey, I figured I loved the 04, so I'd really love the 05
Old 1/20/05, 08:18 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by McDGT@January 20, 2005, 8:33 PM
I ran across a Ford site that said... make an appointment for a test drive, callled the dealer and he said come on in for a short drive. I drove white auto GT, then went home to hunt down the best deal.

I realized the dealer keeps the new Stangs tanks on 'E,' probably an incenttive to go back when they hear "let me just swing down to Miami to show my dad." The dealer did say they have a lot of teens wanting to drive even though they won't be buying.

Sorry to add a familiar bummer... but are all of you recent GT getters receiving your car with the "My Color" dash?

I'm kind of confused about this... is it an unexpected demand thing? the upgrade causes side airbag deployment problems? is it a patent infringement? or all of it?

Has anyone been guaranteed theirs will have My Color, but it's just going to take longer?

Is Ford going to settle? Won't they lose $ if they don't?? :scratch:
MG GT auto ordered... hard to wait so I Must-bang (my head to relax) :bang:
Old 1/20/05, 08:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ABSOLUTELY!
Old 1/20/05, 08:38 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Drove a GT at the innovation drive...Super fun!

Drove the crap out of several v6's off lots. Drove em hard too, loved it!

Then the yellow one came off the truck- and boioioioing that was the one. Not even mad about her being auto.
Old 1/20/05, 08:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

I got a 20-minute test drive with a Silver Premium GT 5-speed about a week before I ordered. The car had 66 miles on it. The salesman rode in the passenger seat, and told me which turns to take, mostly on winding back roads. He encouraged me to nail the throttle more than once, but I never got the tach over 4 grand cuz I was just thinking if I was buying this car, I wouldn't have wanted test drivers to have beaten the crap out of it...

But, the test drive wasn't necessary at all. I've been waiting to order an '05 since they were announced, and would have ordered with or without a test drive. I only went to the dealer to really check out the car up close. The salesman came out, and I asked if I could listen to the Shaker 500, and he offered to let me drive it!
Old 1/20/05, 08:56 PM
GT Member

I didn't test drive-I just placed the order. The first 05 mustang (or any mustang for that matter) that I drove was my own...and it exceeded my expectations.
Old 1/20/05, 09:08 PM
V6 Member

That's pretty much what happened with me too, LimeJohnny. (By the way, nice Stevie Ray avatar ya got there) Later on I only got a tiny tiny taste of the GT by seeing someone getting there's at the dealership and hearing them revving it a little bit and then driving off. They were all smiles, I was all smiles. What a beautiful thing. Reading the reviews of test drives is driving me insane. If the updates are right, I should be going to get it this coming Monday. (Fingers crossed)
Old 1/29/05, 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

OK, got to drive another 05 GT (similar to the one i have on order but with optional wheels and Shaker 1000), car just arrived at the dealer so it was very new, 14 miles on it. This time I was able to take it out on the freeway . Salesman said "go ahead and test it out, weave in and out of traffic, I don't care". :drive:

Between the two I've driven so far I noticed much less transmission noise with this new one (other 5-sp manual 05 GT we drove was on the lot in November). Love the power from second to third gear. Shifted at 6K RPM several times from a rolling start, what a blast.

Would have bought this one but they wanted at least MSRP ($28150 and it had a 3K markup) and I didn't want the Shaker 1000. Only GT I've seen this month on a lot here in the NW.

Greg
Old 1/29/05, 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Ordered mine in June, never saw one in person, didn't get to test drive until I picked up.
Old 1/29/05, 09:48 AM
V6 Member

My sale's women gave me the keys and said "have fun". 5speed manual. The dealership was on the frontage road by the freeway so that's were I headed. I hauled #ss, weaving in and out of traffic. I got a lot of looks from the other cars. It was AWESOME! I did worry more than once that I would get pulled-over by the CHP. When I finally arrived back at the dealer and turned the car off I had the biggest #hit eating grin and told myself I had to have one. It should be here this coming week.
Old 1/29/05, 09:56 AM
V6 Member

I went to ordered a vert but I had to test drive the coupes first. I just had to make sure that I fit first (I'm 6'6) and of course I wanted to check out what was under the hood, cuz that wont change with the car. I was quite impressed.
Old 1/29/05, 10:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ordered with no test drive - never even sat in car until I drove it home.

Quick Reply: Did you test drive before buying?