2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Did anyone here get the Teflon paint protection when you bought your new car?

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/08, 01:59 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did anyone here get the Teflon paint protection when you bought your new car?

We were able to get our dealership to include the extended bumper-to-bumper warranty and the Teflon paint protection for less than $2/mo more when we just bought our new GT/CS. We didn't really care about the Teflon, but to get the warranty extension for that price, we had to take it. I know the game the dealership played to get us that "$2,500 value" for only $1.86/mo more. But what I'm wondering is, does this Teflon treatment really work as well as they made it sound? Is there anything I need to know about the Teflon coating before we ever wax our car? I've never chosen to have this done to a car I've owned until now.
Old 9/6/08, 05:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That so called teflon coating is nothing more than a sealant if it is even that, and it will wear off as it is most likley just a normal wax that happens to have a bit of teflon within the wax. You will still need to maintain the vehicle as if it was not there.

And you also probably paid a couple hundred bucks to much for that warranty depending on whihc level of coverage you chose.. Which warranty did you purchase?

I would suggest going here and pricing the same warranty out and then going back to your dealer and either make them adjust the price and give you the cash refund or remove it completely and buy it here.

http://www.fordwarrantys.com/

Last edited by 06GT4RAD; 9/6/08 at 05:38 PM.
Old 9/6/08, 06:00 PM
Cobra Member

We got the warranty that extends the 3yr/36k mile bumper-to-bumper coverage to 6yr/60k or 70k (I dont' remember offhand) miles bumper-to-bumper. I remember the cost was right at $1900. Then the teflon thing was like $300. I will check into your suggestion though. Thanks for the input.
Old 9/6/08, 06:34 PM
Cobra Member

You should be able to get the ESP Premium 7/100k for close to that 1900
Old 9/6/08, 10:03 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's who I bought mine from for the 2001 Bullitt. Great to deal with and lot's cheaper.
Old 9/6/08, 11:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John H
We got the warranty that extends the 3yr/36k mile bumper-to-bumper coverage to 6yr/60k or 70k (I dont' remember offhand) miles bumper-to-bumper. I remember the cost was right at $1900. Then the teflon thing was like $300. I will check into your suggestion though. Thanks for the input.
Hey John, that price for the Ford ESP sounds really high? I wish I knew you were looking into one, as I sell Ford ESP's on here at a good discount.

About the teflon sealent. The only one that can truthfully and LEGALLY say they have teflon, is Simoniz System 5. Its put on with a buffer, and it really does work. Nothing really sticks to it (as long as its applies correctly) Now, if anything were to damage the paint, their insurance company will pay for a body shop to fix the problem and you get a rental car out of the deal. All under the warranty from Simoniz. For less than $400, if your car is kept outside, its worth it.
Old 9/7/08, 06:10 AM
Cobra Member

Hey Jeff, we never intended on getting the extended warranty or the Teflon thing. I told my girlfriend going in that we weren't getting the warranty (didn't know anything about the teflon at the time). When we went to the finance guy's office, we kept telling him "no" to everything that he tried tacking on in terms of extra services. He finally just said "if I can give you these for not even $2 more a month, would you take it?". That's when I said "If you can manage that, then yes, we'll do it." That's the only reason. I wish I had known there were other ways to buy one of those plans at the time because I would have rather done it a different way.
Old 9/7/08, 06:43 AM
TMS Legacy Member

Some time back, Dupont actually stated on their web site that teflon does nothing to enhance waxes and sealants.

You may also want to read this:http://www.f150online.com/forums/car...eflon-wax.html

Last edited by BEW119; 9/7/08 at 07:03 AM.
Old 9/7/08, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey John, that price for the Ford ESP sounds really high? I wish I knew you were looking into one, as I sell Ford ESP's on here at a good discount.

About the teflon sealent. The only one that can truthfully and LEGALLY say they have teflon, is Simoniz System 5. Its put on with a buffer, and it really does work. Nothing really sticks to it (as long as its applies correctly) Now, if anything were to damage the paint, their insurance company will pay for a body shop to fix the problem and you get a rental car out of the deal. All under the warranty from Simoniz. For less than $400, if your car is kept outside, its worth it.
do the prices change if your car is not brand new? I would like to get the warranty extention for 7 years 100k miles, and curious how much it is.
Old 9/7/08, 07:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Like most have said, all it usually is, is a glorified wax or sealant they try to sucker people into buying for $800, or whatever they can get for it. When I was buying my '08, I just kept telling them "no extras", time and time again, yet they kept pushing stuff at me right and left.
Old 9/7/08, 08:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Etnix
do the prices change if your car is not brand new? I would like to get the warranty extention for 7 years 100k miles, and curious how much it is.
Hey Steve, to answer your question, yes, to a point, they do. When the car reaches 12,000 miles or 12 months from day of warranty start-up, then there is a $100 surcharge to be added. And the prices may go up each year (but not much really..maybe $20-$50 more). If you wanted to add it, and its a year or so afterwards, but your still in the B-T-B warranty, just the $100 you must add to the price. If you want a price on an ESP, let me know. I'll be happy to work up some numbers for you this week.
Old 9/8/08, 02:48 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Ministang
Like most have said, all it usually is, is a glorified wax or sealant they try to sucker people into buying for $800, or whatever they can get for it. When I was buying my '08, I just kept telling them "no extras", time and time again, yet they kept pushing stuff at me right and left.
The finance guys make their money on interest rates and extras.
The more extras, the more they make.
The higher the mark-up, the better.
$2 a month is $120 wax job on a 60 month loan.
My F&I guy really hated me on the Mustang.
He asked me how the heck I got a lower rate loan than he could.
He made $0 on extras too.
Old 9/9/08, 07:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Steve, to answer your question, yes, to a point, they do. When the car reaches 12,000 miles or 12 months from day of warranty start-up, then there is a $100 surcharge to be added. And the prices may go up each year (but not much really..maybe $20-$50 more). If you wanted to add it, and its a year or so afterwards, but your still in the B-T-B warranty, just the $100 you must add to the price. If you want a price on an ESP, let me know. I'll be happy to work up some numbers for you this week.
I would be very interested in a price quote thank you so much!
Old 9/9/08, 09:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Etnix
I would be very interested in a price quote thank you so much!
Hey Steve, you want the 7yr/100K Premium correct? Standard deductible ($100)? Let me know and I'll get a price for you in the next day or so, and PM it to you.
Old 9/9/08, 10:00 AM
Retired Tms Staff

I wouldn't waste my money on the Teflon protection. It eventually wears off, thus you need the dealer to reapply it and ofcourse charge you for it. Ever talk to someone who had a car that was teflon protected and then drove it through a car wash that had hot wax applied to it. Turns a nice looking black car into a dull looking one quickly. As another example, my in-laws (before they knew me) had the protection done on their car. The car was then in a fender bender a year later. They had the rear quarter panel and trunk lid replaced. A year later I mentioned they should wax it. He said it had the teflon protection. I asked if the panels that were replaced were treated and he just assumed they were. Ofcourse they were not. So he then had a car that had some panels that were protected with Teflon and some that were not. He then found out that they waxed the entire car when it was repaired. So much for just sticking with Teflon huh. He has never purchased a car since with that protection on it.
Old 9/9/08, 11:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Steve, you want the 7yr/100K Premium correct? Standard deductible ($100)? Let me know and I'll get a price for you in the next day or so, and PM it to you.
yes please!

thank you so much =)
Old 9/10/08, 06:38 AM
V6 Member

Unless you'll be cookin' eggs on the hood, Teflon is pointless. Claybar that crap off (if in fact anything was put even put on) and put some Zaino on it if you want real protection.
Old 9/10/08, 06:45 AM
Cobra Member

I did the sealant proces myself. $48.00 for the bottle of sealant and 1.5 hours elbow grease. All the dealer is trying to do is put more money in their pocket.
Old 9/10/08, 04:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have it on 3 cars and it works for me bought the product off e bay and followed the instruction .