2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Detroit Rocker info?

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/18, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detroit Rocker info?

I’ve done hours of reading on all of the major mustang sites regarding Detroit Rocker cams. Understandably, most of the threads are many years old. I’m looking for current comments from folks who still have these cars, or others who may have installed them over the last few years. My number one concern is losing noticeable low end torque. I do not want to spend $1,000 to lose low end.

I have stock exhaust manifolds, high flow cats, X pipe, 2.5 stainless cat-back, original 40’s out back, and 3.55 gears with a stick. I’m not interested in changing any of this due to state inspections in my area, and extra costs. Only interested in adding cams.

- I understand I really won’t gain any HP from these. These mod motors are way different from pushrod motors like an LS.
- I want a subtle lopey idle (not interested in dramatic, hot rod type lope)
- I want to maintain stock drivability with no noticeable low end loss
- I don’t race my car in any way. I do enjoy stomping on it from time to time

So, what is your experience with these? Will I lose noticeable low end torque, especially since I don’t have headers, gears, etc? I’m just looking to make some noise at stop lights when I’m cruising.

Thanks guys I know this has been beat to death, but if I’m going to drop a grand on cams I won’t want to lose my low end in the process. I've read both opposite ends of the spectrum in old threads. Some guys say there is no loss of torque at all, some say it killed their low end. What gives?