2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

A detailed review of "Rosie"

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/05, 06:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would like to see a shot of the the new shoes that you put on your pony. Nice writeup btw.
Old 1/13/05, 06:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SixtySix, Good for you! Im glad you finally got her and the wait is over. Enjoy!

............................ ......................
Old 1/13/05, 07:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Saw that old post of yours Tony....Looks like I beat ya by a few days though amigo....I picked mine up on 10-22 and buried the speedo the next day....LOL.....Don't think I've done it since, but mine hits 80mph in 2nd gear so I have to get well into the hundreds just to floor it and keep it down for more then 2 gears.,....Gotta love that v-8 baby!

John
Old 1/13/05, 07:11 PM

This past Monday night I had mine up to 148. It's a five speed and the dealership I bought it from 'CLAIMED' that the manual transmissions didn't have a top speed limiter like the automatics do. I'm sure it would have gone a lot faster, but when it hit 148, I could feel the engine throttle back even though my right foot was firmly planted on the floor. It did maintain that constant speed but wouldn't go over it. The speed was measured by a STALKER radar so it is accurate to within +- 1 mph of the speed displayed on the read out.

I live north of Dallas and the highway I was on was in really good condition, so I only experienced a smooth ride. But then again the last time I went that fast was in a late model Z-28 and in that at speed you felt every little bump and groove in the pavement.

Next time I get a chance to have fun I'll bring a camera to capture the moment forever.
Old 1/13/05, 08:20 PM
V6 Member

I've been up to about 120 so far. Need to find a better stretch of road.
But I bet no matter how loud it gets above 130, it won't be half as noisy
as the LX doing greater than 40.
Old 1/13/05, 10:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Retro GT@January 13, 2005, 5:07 PM
I noticed the unstability in the car above 120mph. The problem with our car is that the aerodynamics cause the front end to lift up instead of planting it down on the ground. Great for less drag, bad for handling. I think if someone would design a small splitter on the bottom of the front air dam, it would fix the problem. But it does have a lot left to go @ 120. :drive:
I've noticed some hood flap on mine at 85+
Has anyone else?
Old 1/13/05, 11:21 PM
FR500 Member

The instability I felt at 140 before I backed off was much like what Retro GT reported. As if the front end was trying to get some air. It was different on each run though, the first one was the most noticeable. The second run felt solid, and on the third run, the effect was very slight. There were no winds to speak of, but at that speed even a slight breeze could be enough.

jsaylor had PM'd me earlier inquiring about the Nitto's and wondering about tire noise. For some reason that didn't occur to me, and after some thought made a lot of sense.

The noises I spoke of weren't neccesarily noises I would attribute to any one thing such as rearend noise, tranny noise or engine noise. So in retrospect I would attribute the noises and resonating frequencies I experienced to the tires and road surface. Even though it is a wide open road with enormous straight-aways, it is a road that is known as a "chip-seal" where the road is tarred and then covered in small rocks. It's not the most smooth surface in the world and might very well have been a culprit in conjunction with the Nitto's.

The Nitto's have a much more aggresive tread design that the P-Zeros and that would explain an increase in noise as well. I for one like the ride enough that I'll sacrifice some road noise for the feel I get with the Nitto's.

The BFG's that 38 Special and Boss Hog have on theirs may be a quieter option.

I promise I'll have more pics after or during the long weekend of the Nitto's and more!
Old 1/13/05, 11:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Sixty-Six,

Did the tire shop buy (or offer to buy) your stock tires? I'm thinking I'll do the exact same thing you did. Drive from dealer to tire shop (probably Discount Tire) and swap to 255's. I've had good results previously with Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's. Tire Rack has em for $107.
Old 1/13/05, 11:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Great write up! Thanks and congrats. Those of us still waiting for our day to come, well, we just eat up all the nitty gritty details you guys pass along... and pics are just icing on the cake.
Old 1/13/05, 11:54 PM
FR500 Member

Did the tire shop buy (or offer to buy) your stock tires?
Funny you should ask, I had one of their guys quote me $60-80 bucks per tire for takeoff credit a month ago. They kinda balked when I walked in yesterday but went ahead and gave me the $60 bones a piece, the lowend of what they originally offered

Not as good as $320, but it still took a nice bite out of the total, so I'm happy with it.
Old 1/14/05, 12:06 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Redfire 05Gt+January 13, 2005, 11:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Redfire 05Gt @ January 13, 2005, 11:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Retro GT@January 13, 2005, 5:07 PM
I noticed the unstability in the car above 120mph. The problem with our car is that the aerodynamics cause the front end to lift up instead of planting it down on the ground. Great for less drag, bad for handling. I think if someone would design a small splitter on the bottom of the front air dam, it would fix the problem. But it does have a lot left to go @ 120. :drive:
Has anyone else? [/b][/quote]

Mine too!
Old 1/14/05, 12:19 AM
Cobra R Member

I wonder what the fine would be for doing 140? Would you ever get out of jail ? Heck thats only twice the speed limit. LOL That is much faster than this old mind can think.
I wonder what the speed rating on Tony's tires is. I have not checked the stock tires yet. Now if I can only find that chart with the code.
Old 1/14/05, 12:51 AM
FR500 Member

I do believe in both cases they're Z rated meaning 149+, but I'd have to look it up for sure because sometimes they use the Z term a little loosely. However the manufacters recommendation is for no less than V rated tires on the GT.

And for clarification, the P Zero Nero's are Z rated 149+

The Nittos are V rated 149 (no plus)

I wonder what the fine would be for doing 140?
Straight to jail!..... Truth be told, cops out here in the west are a little different. They've demonsrated the ability to use good judgement time and again and let people slide as long as the conditions warrant it.

For instance, if I was doing that on an interstate in town no matter how empty it is, They'd throw me in jail, suspend my license...and god knows what else. And rightfully so!

If however I'm on an improved deserted road in the middle of nowhere, and I spot him and slow down....there's a decent chance they'd either let me go OR reduce the speed down to something manageable. Spotting them in the desert is easier than you think....there's nowhere to hide.

I've come up on cops on the interstate doing 100 (easy to do out here) and as long as I spot them and slow down... all is good.

Their rational is this: "If we catch you speeding and you fail to slow down, that tells us that you're not paying attention and you'll get a ticket".

That's a straight quote from more than one Highway Patrol or Dept of Pulic Safety officer.

It's the Wild Wild west
Old 1/14/05, 02:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

:nono: <----Had to do that since you mentioned it. Man I would have loved to have been in the car with you at 140. That would have been too cool. Beside like you said as long as you play it safe & pay attention I really don't see what the big deal is. Besides you were out walking you new pony. Is that a crime? Congrats again on the car. And thanks for the write up. I am glad to hear that there are still some people out there that like the automatic. Have fun & be safe.

:drive: :drive:
Old 1/14/05, 06:43 AM
FR500 Member

It's getting close for you Kera....it's gonna be banana time for you too in a couple three weeks! You're going to absolutely love it
Old 1/14/05, 07:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Redfire 05Gt+January 13, 2005, 11:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Redfire 05Gt @ January 13, 2005, 11:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Retro GT@January 13, 2005, 5:07 PM
Has anyone else? [/b][/quote]
Yeah, I have noticed the same thing. I regularly drive home at 100-110 and nothing. But when you get above 120-125 (190-200kph) there seems to be some wiggle in the corners of the hood.

Dropped my brother off at the airport in Frankfurt on a German holiday and had clear sailing, so I punched it up to 140+. Rock solid, but with a smaller, more rapid vibration than before. Mind you, I was keeping my attention on the road so it wasn't something I could "study", but I think I'll try to get some video of it.

Maybe there is high air pressure under the hood?

Hmmm
Old 1/14/05, 08:19 AM
V6 Member

Congrats on finally getting the 05! I'm glad she arrived in one piece.

If you ever feel the need to have a companion in the car while you're having some fun, let me know! I saw a redfire GT on I-10W around 83rd ave. Was that you? IT was actually the first GT I've seen with the foglights on, and it looked good!

joe
Old 1/14/05, 08:36 AM
FR500 Member

It very well could have been me! I'm out that way quite a bit, I live in the middle of Glendale by GCC and my boss lives out further west around 83rd and Camelback, I'm out there at least a couple of times a week, and have been out there once already. His wife is a HUGE Mustang fan

On the companion thing.....well to be honest 140mph blasts are not commonplace,

I'd rather not put someone else's life at risk while indulging myself. But I'm all for milder fun though

I'll let you know next time I'm out your way!
Old 1/14/05, 08:47 AM
GT Member

Hey Tony,

Thanks for the write-up. Like the others, I am interested in such details but I am kinda of a coward down deep inside. Since I have quit racing years back, I get kinda nervous any time I find myself out-driving my headlights (brights, road-lites, flamethrowers, etc.) at night. Doesn't mean I am not interested in the '05's capabilities (unfortunately, Road Atlanta, the best local access for me doesn't have enough sraight away to really crank).

Since I want to follow this thread, ...please be cool out there. I would really miss your stuff should a mulie decide to become your hood ornamant.

Oh, ...I almost forgot - CONGRATS !!!!!

Old 1/14/05, 11:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hi Tony

As Don mentioned I am also sure you were out driving your lights. It sounds like you are on this road a lot. You may want to consider my fog lamp conversion that is listed in my sig. It makes a BIG difference & is good for the top speed of the Stang.

Quick Reply: A detailed review of "Rosie"