Search this Thread

Old 3/29/05, 07:46 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey technuts,

I need your input on this,
or has anyone else experienced this.

Situtation:
I'm rolling up an incline to a stoplight. Downshift to second, eventually to a stop.
clutch is in with my left foot, right is on the brake....tranny in Neutral.

At this point because of what happened I'm not sure of which happened next.
Either A) Depressing the clutch caused the RPMs to rise and rise, or
B ) letting the clutch out caused them to rise and rise.
Either way, the gas pedal was not depressed/stuck.....but for some reason the RPMs started to rise.

I then turned the car off (at about 3500 I could see they would have kept going)
quickly, then started it back up...all is well.

At the point of this happening...no sensors or lights came on to notify error.
no service engine light, nothing.
Drove it for another 30-40 minutes with about 4-6 stops, and problem didn't repeat.

Any idea's?!?!
Weird
Old 3/29/05, 09:01 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There has been a report of the speed control problem causing a mustang to launch through the back of their garage.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/home.cfm

Make : FORD Model : MUSTANG Year : 2005
Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Crash : Yes Fire : No Number of Injuries: 1
ODI ID Number : 10113638 Date of Failure: March 1, 2005
VIN : 1ZVFT80N855...
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDAL

Complaints Summary

Make: FORD
Model: MUSTANG
Type: PASSENGER CAR
Year: 2005
Complaint Number: 10113638
Summary:
WHILE PULLING INTO A GARAGE ACCELERATOR PEDAL GOT STUCK, AND THE VEHICLE ACCELERATED THROUGH THE GARAGE WALL INTO THE KITCHEN. CONSUMER HAD TO SHIFT THE VEHICLE INTO PARK TO STOP IT. CONSUMER SUSTAINED INJURIES, AND WAS TRANSPORTED TO A LOCAL HOSPITAL. DEALER AND MANUFACTURER WERE NOTIFIED.*AK
Old 3/29/05, 09:05 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh boy. Let's hope this was a freak accident or that it was a user error.

:notnice:
Old 3/29/05, 09:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've rolled to a stop in neutral and put my foot on the brake and gas at the same time... the pedals are close together, so its not hard to do and not notice it.
Old 3/29/05, 09:07 PM
Banned

That complaint is different, one its an auto, and two, no such thing as a stuck pedal. He hit the gas meaning to hit the brake.

Boomer:
are you 12994584395893495394% sure you weren't touching the gas at all? Not even with a toe?
Old 3/29/05, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

did you some how hit the cruise control button while letting out the clutch? I had a 93 Ford Probe GT and would do this all the time.
Old 3/29/05, 09:19 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

dont know if it was user error- report didnt say.... I hope so...

From what I remember there is such a thing as an accelerator pedal accelerating all by itself - several years ago there was a lawsuit over it - cant remember the model of the car, but I distinctly remember it was on the news...

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=125&did=907

http://www.smartdriving.co.uk/Driving/Driv...Accelerator.htm

http://www.saskschools.ca/curr_content/dri...dbook_pg133.pdf

http://www.antony-anderson.com/cruis....htm#Ford_fire

http://www.autosafety.org/srr/GMSA2.pdf
Old 3/29/05, 09:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by AJC@March 30, 2005, 12:22 AM

From what I remember there is such a thing as an accelerator pedal accelerating all by itself - several years ago there was a lawsuit over it - cant remember the model of the car, but I distinctly remember it was on the news...
Yup, and they were all found to be operator error, hitting the gas instead of the brake.

There has never been a confirmed report of an accelerator sticking, and no recalls issued ever. Operator error 4tw.
Old 3/29/05, 09:27 PM

^^ Yeah, you get a person into "Not Thinking Mode" and they accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake, they immediately think something is wrong and go into "Panic Mode" and then proceed to press harder on the "brake" pedal and hit something. Then the go into "Blame Mode" and say it was everyone else's fault except their own.

Edit: Haha I totally can't spell! :scratch:
Old 3/29/05, 09:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Grantsdale+March 29, 2005, 10:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grantsdale @ March 29, 2005, 10:24 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-AJC@March 30, 2005, 12:22 AM

Yup, and they were all found to be operator error, hitting the gas instead of the brake.
[/b][/quote]
I wouldn't draw the conclusion that this is always operator error. (I know you thrive on criticizing and being rude to others, Grantsdale, but that's okay, cause I thrive on picking fights with those who would criticize and be rude to others. )

There is precedent for accelerators sticking (however you define "sticking") and Ford isn't the only one to experience such a defect (if indeed it is a defect). If it wasn't driver error, it could be a problem with the DBW system.
Old 3/29/05, 09:30 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

see first link in my edited post - looks like situation may have changed - and NHTSA maybe investigating further - USA today

should be interesting to see where this report leads...
Old 3/29/05, 09:33 PM

Even if there is a problem with the electronic throttle theres no reason stepping on the brake pedal should EVER cause you to accelerate.
Old 3/29/05, 09:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by AJC@March 29, 2005, 10:33 PM
see first link in my edited post - looks like situation may have changed - and NHTSA maybe investigating further - USA today

should be interesting to see where this report leads...
As I was saying, the Drive By Wire system.
Old 3/29/05, 09:36 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Robert+March 30, 2005, 12:32 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Robert @ March 30, 2005, 12:32 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Grantsdale@March 29, 2005, 10:24 PM

I wouldn't draw the conclusion that this is always operator error. (I know you thrive on criticizing and being rude to others, Grantsdale, but that's okay, cause I thrive on picking fights with those who would criticize and be rude to others. )

There is precedent for accelerators sticking (however you define "sticking") and Ford isn't the only one to experience such a defect (if indeed it is a defect). If it wasn't driver error, it could be a problem with the DBW system.
[/b]

I am not criticizing anyone. Just saying that stuck accelators doesn't happen.

Precedent? A case that lost is a precedent? No, it is the opposite. Even that last link that AJC posted says that there is no precedent, and the NHTSA looked at it again and found nothing. User error. Thats it.

Give me one source where it was proven to be a defect. You can't. If it was a defect, it would be repeatable, even if it was over thousands of attempts. Therefore, it is user error.

<!--QuoteBegin-Enfynet
@March 30, 2005, 12:36 AM
Even if there is a problem with the electronic throttle theres no reason stepping on the brake pedal should EVER cause you to accelerate.
[/quote]

Exactly. Someone explain to me how you can hit the STOP button and it will GO. If you are hitting both, the car won't "launch" like the reports always say. Almost all cars have stronger brakes then their engine. That is, pressing both equally will hold the car in place.

Anyway, lets get off of it and back to boomer.
Old 3/29/05, 09:41 PM

Unintended acceleration (as was claimed against Audi in the 80's and 90's and Jeep more recently) was proven to be 100% operator error. Boomer is experiencing something totally unrelated. Possibly a drive by wire issue?

A car will never overpower the brakes. Try standing on the gas and brake at the same time from a stop (this simulates a stuck throttle). You might melt the tires, but you aren't going anywhere. The guy who drove through his house stepped on the wrong pedal.
Old 3/29/05, 09:44 PM

I'm pretty sure Boomer's problem was that he was touching the gas ever-so-slightly while he was braking. I've done it.
Old 3/29/05, 09:47 PM
Banned

People backing me up 4tw!
Old 3/29/05, 09:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, the brake and accelerator pedals in this car are very close together. I often go to repostion my foot on the brake when I am stopped for comfort, and the top of my foot rubs up against the bottom of the accelerator. I can see how someone would have their foot on the brake and very slightly on the gas without noticing it.
AJC
Mach 1 Member

:P

I hope your right... and you probably are...
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Grantsdale+March 29, 2005, 10:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grantsdale @ March 29, 2005, 10:39 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Robert@March 30, 2005, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Grantsdale@March 29, 2005, 10:24 PM

I am not criticizing anyone. Just saying that stuck accelators doesn't happen.

Precedent? A case that lost is a precedent? No, it is the opposite. Even that last link that AJC posted says that there is no precedent, and the NHTSA looked at it again and found nothing. User error. Thats it.

Give me one source where it was proven to be a defect. You can't. If it was a defect, it would be repeatable, even if it was over thousands of attempts. Therefore, it is user error.

<!--QuoteBegin-Enfynet
@March 30, 2005, 12:36 AM
Exactly. Someone explain to me how you can hit the STOP button and it will GO. If you are hitting both, the car won't "launch" like the reports always say. Almost all cars have stronger brakes then their engine. That is, pressing both equally will hold the car in place.

Anyway, lets get off of it and back to boomer.
[/b][/quote]
Nonsense. A frayed throttle cable, for example, is quite capable of sticking and/or accelerating the engine on its own - it happened to me many years ago.

I do agree, however, that it will not override the brake - nor should it overwhelm the driver. In my situation I was able to limp the car home even though the cable kept revving the engine rpms up.

Quick Reply: Depressing clutch causes RPMs to rise on their own