2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership Question - Should I Be Worried? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/04, 03:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Okay, here's the situation - I'm a 21 year old guy buying his first new car - a 2005 Ford Mustang GT. I have been to several dealerships (about 8 or 9) in the NJ area, including Downs Ford, Larson Ford, and Freehold Ford, and I have been treated like crap. Ignored, sneered at, left sitting at a salesmen's desk for over a half hour for an answer to a simple question (how much of a deposit for a preorder)... and it's all because of my age. No one takes me seriously at ALL. And the funny thing is, I have the money to pay for this darn thing! I know, hard to believe in this day and age, but I do have the money or I wouldn't be there.
I've finally wound up going to a Ford dealership in Princeton. They are connected (or so they told me) with the Flemington network of dealerships, a HUGE network of Ford dealerships in the NJ area. A bit out of my way, but they were they only ones who sat down with me and my g/f and treated me like a decent human being. I gave them a $500 deposit for my preorder, went over the options with my sales rep (we'll call him "Dave"), and put my order in the computer. That was about two and a half weeks ago.
Now here's my problem. I called up "Dave" last week for the first time since putting down the deposit to tweak the options because I realized that the IUP did NOT come with the GT Premium Standard. So I called him to schedule a time to come in and fix this problem real quick, and this is what I got:

"Hey D-"
"Hey Charlie, hold on second." (shouts to someone, supposedly) "Hey so-and-so, we got any info on the 2005 Mustang yet? No, sorry, we don't have info on it yet, Charlie. Talk to you later," he says curtly.
"No, wait! I'm not calling about pricing! I just want to tweak my options a bit."
Long pause. Then a sigh. "Oh."
"So can I come in around such-and-such time and get this out of the way?"
"Sure, that's fine. See you then."
"Okay, th-" Click!

The guy sounded like I was being an annoyance to him and then he practically hung up on me! I figured I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and showed up at the specified date/time to add on the IUP. I saw Dave for maybe a total of three seconds before he just sort of shuffled me off to a guy who did the preorders and I was able to fix my options. I left feeling very... well.... like I was (once again) not taken serious in the slightest sense. This is KILLING me. I wrote him the check for $500 and it cleared. Shouldn't that show them I have at least SOME interest in the damned car? I also told him I was willing to pay between $10k - $12k down and finance the rest. poo man, I know 45 year olds who put $3k down on a brand new BMW and they get treated like kings.
I'm not asking to be showered with empty compliments on my attire or anything like that, but I would like to be treated with some semblance of respect.
Another problem - I've asked him a few times what his dealership's allotment of 2005s was going to be. He dodged the question every time. I doubt he really knows the answer. The fact that they are connected to Flemington heartens me as they are huge in NJ and I'm sure they got a generous share. I am heartened further by the fact that "Joe", the preorder guy I talked to for the IUP, told me I was the second in line to preorder at their dealership. They've GOT to have an allotment of at least two, right?
Any dealers out there have an idea of when pricing is coming in? I hope soon, because I am ready to negotiate with this guy, as I'm almost positive he'll try to gouge me. Man, is he in for a surprise. My father taught me well, and besides, I'm Italian - haggling is in my blood.
Anyway, anyone got any suggestions for how to get some respect from these guys? Any advice from any Ford salesmen? I've been as courteous, professional, and businesslike as possible... or is it just impossible to be taken seriously at my age until I lay down my $10+k?
Old 8/31/04, 03:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not the expert, but I'll give my thoughts and others can chime in who probably know a lot more than I do.

The sales guys may be avoiding some of your questions because they don't know the answers. For months now, I've been reading posts here from members who go into the local Ford dealership and we know more than they do about their new product (thanks, Brad)! It's getting close enough now to the day the dealerships actually get the cars on their lots that they should be getting up to speed, but who knows? Your friend Dave may not know how many cars they'll be getting and when. God forbid that he just tell you he doesn't know, right?

As for how he treats you, that stinks, but your not gonna marry the guy. After you get your car the sales guy isn't going to be the one who gives you the services you need. So okay, you gave the guy a one-time sales commission and now you wish you'd given it to somebody else. But you'll get the car and never speak to him again anyway.

What's the worst that can happen? Are they somehow going to steal your $500 and never give you a car? No. Is the car going to be a lemon because the sales guy was a jerk. No. Worst case is, maybe you aren't the first one on the block to have an 05 because Dave gave fifty other people the impression they'd get the very first GT that hit his lot too. And if you discover every person at that dealership is a jerk too, get the 'stang serviced at a different dealership.

Anyway, there's a lot of stress to buying a new car, especially when you're 21. You'll almost never leave the sales office happy about the experience. Try not to let this jerk spoil your anticipation and the pleasure of finally getting the vehicle. You're there to get the car, not build a relationship. And I don't seriously think your getting the car is in jeopardy in any way.

So, no, I don't think you should be worried. Just don't send Dave any referrals.

And be sure to post us when you take your first joy-ride!

Old 8/31/04, 03:58 AM

You're too nice, I bet. A lot of times I've gotten a better response by being cold and very short when they don't know an answer - I don't know why that makes a difference, maybe it shows that you're more in control.

What are you wearing, a t-shirt and jeans? That's what I always wear... heh. That way they tend to leave me alone, but I'm not seriously ready to buy anything just yet. It's a stereotype, but it's not like these guys have much else to go on when trying to figure out if you have the cash for a car. And once they've made a sale, good luck... they're on to the next. It's not like a BMW or Mercedes dealership, the margin they're making on each sale is slim so they don't have time to pal around with you... they have to look for another sale.
Old 8/31/04, 06:30 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome,

The sales guy may have been really busy and was working on another sale. They do work in a high-pressure environment, so maybe he was just having some rough days.
Old 8/31/04, 08:16 AM
V6 Member

I've bought a couple of cars in the past few years (I'm 23) and I have to say that this is normal practice to treat 'younguns' like this. I understand it up until you break out the check book... why should they doubt you then?!?? The only places I feel I've been treated fairly are Carmax and dealerships where I have a family friend. In the future you might try calling to setup an appt.
Old 8/31/04, 08:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A little advice from someone who has had nine cars, vans, and five motorcycles in his life time. When giving someone a check type deposit it is best to do it by certified cheque. Perferably have the bank vertify one of your personal cheques. What that means is that they hold the money for you for that particular cheque number. It is also a formal record when the cheque comes back to you that you gave the deposit to the dealer. It also helps to place the dealer number on the lower left corner of the cheque and have the salesman place his intials by the Ford Dealer Number before you give him the cheque. This way you can show the dealership that you have given the deposit and that they have cashed the cheque and are in possession of your deposit for the mustang. I was just saying to someone the other day that I much prefer going to the dentist for a root canal than going to buy a car. All a salesman is interested in is how much of your money he or she can get in their pocket and unfortunately a lot of them are cheats and liars.
Old 8/31/04, 08:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

I haven't really experienced too many problems when buying a car. I've been jerked around when a dealership dangled a car infront of me and said: "we can get it for you at x!" When the sales manager came out x was about 7,500 more then what they said. So I lost 4 hours of my Saturday, I'll live.

When I work with a dealership I do everything through my credit union... I get pre-approved through the credit union. When the transaction is complete and the paper work is signed I run to the credit union; get a cashiers check for the loan amount; run bacl over and hand it to the fine folks that actually hand the dealership finances (I never give checks or the like to the salesmen or manager).

By bringing your own financing and being able to say "I have this much to spend on it" (usually in the ballpark of invoice) makes the negotiating easier since they know you are there to play ball and have the backing to do it.
Old 8/31/04, 09:53 AM

Most people under 25 aren't "buyers" they are "shoppers". If it is a busy dealership, they are, in their thinking, losing money talking to you since they could be talking to someone who can likely can afford a 25k+ car. Most people under 25 don't have the cash to purchase a new car. You should also be wary of dealerships that are eager when you step on the lot. Those places usually look for people willing to buy more than they can handle and stick it to them when doing financials.

I would suggest bringing an older adult with you (preferably a man... salesmen traditionally try to take advantage of women). Do your research (your here so I assume you have) and know exactly what you are willing to pay. Once the deal is done with the salesman the real work begins. Watch those finance people they are the new dealership sharks.

Travel south of the mason dixon line and you will get better treatment. Most sales guys down here are at the very least polite... if they aren't they are usually carpet baggers.
Old 8/31/04, 10:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Any actual Ford salesmen care to comment?
Thanks for the varying advice, everyone else!
Old 8/31/04, 11:16 PM
Bullitt Member

I am not sure why you are being treated poorly. Some of the suggestions seem possible. Bad day, bad salesman, etc. I am not sure if your age is as big a factor as you believe. Business is business, and you have demonstrated the ability and willingness to transact business. If you feel you need to, I would contact a manger and politely express your concerns. If you are still not satisfied, let me know and I will be happy to assist you with an order. Lots of people come to Lancaster from NJ for the outlet shopping. And I will treat you like a gentleman.
Old 9/1/04, 07:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks, BEK! Unfortunately, Lancaster is a bit too far for me. I do go down there though during the Halloween season... you guys have some pretty good haunts.. Field of Screams, Bates Motel, all that. I do some acting/stuntwork at Six Flags Great Adventure for Fright Fest, so I can appreciate a good haunted house.
Old 9/1/04, 08:56 AM
GT Member

I almost got treated like a 'younggun' because I look like one. I work at a high school, and some of the faculty members actually yell at me when I call them by their first name, not realizing I'm one of them.
Anyways, I went into a Ford dealership to lay down my $1000 deposit (I see some are $500? but that's a different topic) and the Internet sales manager asks if my parents would be willing to co-sign if "something came up." He explained how one kid (that's the term he used) ordered a Cobra, and "something came up" and his mom had to bail him out. I played along and went, "sure, my parents would do the same." So, when he was doing the paperwork, and saw my birthdate, he kind of felt embarassed. Oh well.
I still got my GT order in, and all is well in the land of chocolate. Mmmm....the land of chocolate.......
Old 9/1/04, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

Its hard to find a good Dealer. When you find one, stay with them!
The way it has been sounding, there isn't too much info on the 05. People on this site know more then most dealers at this time.
You run into this a lot during a new car launch.
Old 9/1/04, 09:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
One of the the things I have learned about car dealerships is "cash is trash" to them. It is significant to YOU to put down $10K on the car - makes your payments better. But the dealer doesn't care. They're getting theirs from Ford (holdback, spiffs, monthly sales goals met) Ford Credit or your bank, etc.

Get all the sweetness you can when your dealing, 'cause there's no guarantee you'll get it after. After you have purchased, you are for a while at least, no longer a potenetial buyer, so some sales force lose a lot of interest in you at that point.

Notice I say "some". Many sales people have figured out the courtesy and simple respect things. They know that every kind word with you can be be money in the bank years down the road. They know that how they behave will reflect on the place they work.

Some do not care at all about that last one, though. They already are aware they'll probably be selling someone elses iron in two years.

That's why I liked the internet package I nought and their "fax attack" methodology. It simply eliminates the salesperson entirely.

I want to buy my car at my price, not make buddies.

Just my opinion. Good luck with yours!

Paris MkVI