2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Dealer switched rims on my stang???

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/07, 09:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer switched rims on my stang???

Long story short...I sent emails to local dealerships telling them that I wanted a 07 GT with POLISHED wheels and GT performance package. It had to be white with tan leather, 5 speed. (Ya, I know I'm picky but I should get what I really want, right?)

A local dealership sends me an email about a stang with all of those options but heres the catch, it is at another dealership, 300 miles away. We work out a deal and they say they will accept my x-plan #.

I put $10,000 down as a deposit. They go to get the car and bring it to there dealership. I go today to take a look at it and as soon as I pull up I realize there is something wrong. It looks great but the **** PREMIUM wheels are not what I wanted and were not on the **** sticker!

I go in and tell the owners son that we have a problem. I inform him that the wrong wheels are on the car. I said the cars sticker and vin say POLISHED not PREMIUM wheels. We check the sticker together and he agrees. He admits that there is a mistake and says that he will try to get the Polished wheels from the dealership that the car came from.

I take the car for a spin and it is amazing. I just want to drive it home but I can't. When I get back from the test drive he is on the phone and says he is working on it. I mention to him the the car has an computer error that says "TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR FAILURE" He says to me "ya that is because the other dealership changed the rims" WTF???

What should I do? Anyone go through this? I hope he can get a hold of the rims I requested, I don't want the Fanblades! The car I believed I was purchasing had the Polished bullits on it!
Old 6/7/07, 09:18 PM
Bullitt Member

they did that for me last year, before tpms, it had fanblades i wanted the polished bullets insted, no biggy swapped em out no problem when i get there that is, i loved everything and the wheels looked good, but i wanted the other ones and they had another on the lot with them
Old 6/7/07, 10:18 PM
Bullitt Member

the stock rims gone on a project car or trailer anyhow dont they?
Old 6/7/07, 10:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Your deal is with your dealer, have them make it right. Don't let them put it on the other dealer, even though they switched them.
Old 6/7/07, 10:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This is why we don't switch out stock rims
Old 6/8/07, 03:44 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
My dealership said those cars have to be sold with the equipment listed.I wanted to swap out wheels with another Mustang on the lot and the answer was no.The dealer has a problem and you should not accept the car.The TMS is a federal requirement on all 07"s and they have broken a Federal law swapping out your wheels wi/o the sensors.
Old 6/8/07, 05:19 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't take the car without the right rims
Old 6/8/07, 05:29 AM
GT Member

the TMS system, is that new for 07?
Old 6/8/07, 06:09 AM
Cobra Member

There is certainly a lack of both the polished bullets & fanblades in my area. Ford must be having serious problems with their supplier(s) or Ford got cheap, and decided to lower the volumes.

I know both Ford & GM have had some problems since they moved some of their wheel programs over to China. GM even struggles to get their Corvette wheels from Italy.
They should just leave things here in the States!
Old 6/8/07, 06:38 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bored out
... What should I do? ...
Just don't let them "sweet talk" you into taking delivery of the car as-is or fixing it later.

Get the car you want. [Your deposit was way too much - no matter what they said or requested.]
Old 6/8/07, 02:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Poco
The TMS is a federal requirement on all 07"s and they have broken a Federal law swapping out your wheels wi/o the sensors.
They just failed to re-train the new sensors on the swapped wheels. It's likely they DO have the sensors installed.

Some dealers will do anything to make a sale, including swapping parts. They can do what they want, but often run into issues such as this when they do. If they happened to sell it themselves to someone who saw the car and didn't know any better it wouldn't have been an issue. I'll bet the wheels are long gone. If that's the case, either get a healthy discount and buy them on ebay or have them order in a car with the wheels you want.
Old 6/8/07, 02:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Local dealer told me that Ford has a shortage of the polished 18 inch rims. he said that he couldn't even order a car with them right now. Basically, they are the most popular rim and Ford can't keep up with the demand.
Old 6/8/07, 02:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
I don't want the Fanblades! The car I believed I was purchasing had the Polished bullits on it!
What's wrong with Fanblades?

Just kidding. My (unsolicited) advice: DON'T sign on the dotted line until you have the car you want. (or a STEEP discount for having the wrong rims!)
Old 6/8/07, 03:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks guys for the tips. This is so frustrating! I am very excited about getting this car and now this. I am supposed to take delivery today.

UPDATE

The dealership who switched the rims is refusing to purchase or deliver the bullitts to my dealership. It looks as if I have these options, none of which are best for me...

1. Buy the car as is with the wrong rims,

Leaning away from this even though the car is awesome!

2. Don't buy the car and get my security deposity back.

They offered it back, I think I'll get it tonight.

3. Have them get another car like it.

My salesmen did another search and found one in ARKANSAS. Come on, I'm in Georgia. The car will have 600 miles or so on it.

4. Should I pick out another color?

I do like Black but the Georgia heat is the problem!

Advice is needed! I'm getting blurred by frustration, excitement, disappointment and need.
Old 6/8/07, 03:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd make the dealer you are dealing with aware they have violated a federal law. I work for Ford and the mentioned posts above is required per each and every vehicle sold.
Old 6/8/07, 05:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
3. Have them get another car like it.

My salesmen did another search and found one in ARKANSAS. Come on, I'm in Georgia. The car will have 600 miles or so on it.
It shouldn't have more miles on it. I would think for that distance they would transport by truck.
Old 6/8/07, 05:11 PM
GT Member

Wish my situation had been that easy as just to switch the rims. When I ordered my GT vert in april 2005, I didnt have the choice of going to 18s. When I found out my car would be an 06, knowing the 18 Buillits would be available, I asked my dealer to change the order. He told me it would delay my order even further. Since it took 8 months to get in (November 05), I didnt really want to wait any longer to get the car. It may have made my order a year. Now I'm stuck trying to find a good deal on a set of take offs.
Old 6/8/07, 05:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ShowGT
I'd make the dealer you are dealing with aware they have viloated a federal law. I work for Ford and the mentioned posts above is required per each and every vehicle sold.
What exactly are you referring to? The dealer he's dealing with did a locate and dealer trade (or outright buy). They don't have anything to do with the wheel swap. Regarding the wheel swap, how's that a federal offense?
Old 6/8/07, 06:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Robbieg
It shouldn't have more miles on it. I would think for that distance they would transport by truck.

Have the dealer pay for a rental and go get it yourself. You have to break it in any way. So why not make it a mini vacation, and a fun drive home.
Old 6/8/07, 07:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Ditch the deal and look elsewhere.

When I ordered mine (with the polished Bullitts), it was delivered exactly how I ordered it, nothing more, nothing less. And to this day, I'm glad I didn't settle for the latter.

Quick Reply: Dealer switched rims on my stang???