2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Dealer ripped me off

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/04, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went to the dealer that I had previously ordered my 05 gt to cancel because I found one just the way I wanted it in stock some where else so I wont have to wait til march to get one so iI bought it and the first dealer wont give me my deposit back. Can they do that?? 500 dollars is alot of money and it stinks having that much cash stolen from me. please any body tell me what to do.
Old 12/30/04, 11:01 AM
Cobra Member

How is that the "dealer ripping you off"? If you put down a nonrefundable deposit on a car, it's, well, not refundable. Read the paperwork you signed. It might say refundable.

You might consider the $500 the fee you're paying for getting it three months early.

You should be able to go to the dealer and talk to the sales manager and get your deposit back. Even if they're not legally obligated to do so, they usually return deposits on a car they have no problem moving. And the GT they ordered for you will not be something that's going to hang around on their lot. Tell them you have friends/family who may be buying cars soon, etc, etc, and if they treat you nice you'll tell everyone what a great dealer they are, all that crap.
Old 12/30/04, 11:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

If it hasn't been scheduled for build yet then I believe it hasn't cost them anything except a little paperwork. Even if it has they should be able to get their money from the sale of the car.

I believe you would be able to fight the case even if it says non-refundable since they have not techically taken any loss on the deal.

Either way it sounds like you need to place a call to Judge Judy.
Old 12/30/04, 11:08 AM

The car hasnt even been started yet there is no vin# so iI dont even think the contract is even valid .The car doesn't even exist.
Old 12/30/04, 11:09 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by white88stang@December 30, 2004, 11:58 AM
...the first dealer wont give me my deposit back. Can they do that?? 500 dollars is alot of money and it stinks having that much cash stolen from me.
They absolutely can NOT do that. By law they have to return the deposit to you. Go back and raise heck !!
Old 12/30/04, 11:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I switched dealers and got my deposit back with no problem. When I first ordered, I asked the guy if the deposit was refundable. He said sure and that he did not expect me to give a non-refundable deposit. But after I had problems, I called during lunch. After work I went and they had a check ready for me.

If you signed something, read if it says non-refundable deposit. If you didn't sign anything, then there is nothing saying it is non-refundable.
Old 12/30/04, 11:13 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Or negotiate. You can always tell them to keep 20% of the deposit for their troubles but not 100%
Old 12/30/04, 11:16 AM
Cobra Member

If the paperwork says non-refundable, then you can't do anything...period.

If it only mentions a deposit then you need to talk to a manager.

Either way, I'd still talk to someone at that dealership and have them show you written proof that it is non-refundable.
Old 12/30/04, 11:17 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Call a local TV station and see if they have some type of consumer advocate segment/reporter. The last thing any business wants is to have themselves featured prominently in a negative way.
Old 12/30/04, 11:20 AM

well i called him and made a deal and he agreed to give me 300 of it so I am a little happier now but it does stink to still be out of some of it.
Old 12/30/04, 11:31 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by freebass55@December 30, 2004, 12:19 PM
If the paperwork says non-refundable, then you can't do anything...period.

If it only mentions a deposit then you need to talk to a manager.

Either way, I'd still talk to someone at that dealership and have them show you written proof that it is non-refundable.
It doesn't matter what the paper says. The contract is essentially worthless, no more than a piece of paper. I've gone through this before and can assure you that he is obligated to return the full deposit reguardless of whether or not it says 'non-refundable' on the contract. Don't settle for $300... get all your money back. these errogant dealers !!!
Old 12/30/04, 11:34 AM
V6 Member

Is it stated anywhere that the deposit is non refundable? If not then there is no negotiating you get your whole deposit back NO questions asked. This dealer is not going to have a problem selling your order there should not be an issue.
Old 12/30/04, 11:37 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with what was posted above,

a sales guy I talked to said a good point about cancelling the order, he said it would be no problem to cancel, because he could sell the car for a lot more than the xplan I was looking at.

Talk to the sales manager, dealer president, etc. etc. you should be able to get all your money back. If they decide to play hard-ball then you can threaten to contact the local better business bureau, newspapers, etc.
Old 12/30/04, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

All it takes is downloading from your local court jurisdiction the small claims filing papers. Complete them and take them to the dealer and show them the completed work. Tell the dealer unless you get a full refund you will be mailing them to the courthouse with the small fee (usually around $20) to file a complaint in small claims court.

It is not worth the dealers trouble to fight it (it will cost him more than the $500) and if he doesn't pay or show up, you win by default.
Old 12/30/04, 11:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At a minimum, tell him you will post this information on the internet's largest Mustang web site. The bad publicity goes beyond the local paper or television news. You might even pull up this thread in his dealership to show him you have already started.
Old 12/30/04, 11:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Don't get mad get even. Throw a brick through his dealership window
Old 12/30/04, 11:47 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm a real bastard when someone tries to screw with my cash ..

Just start raising your voice in the showroom floor in front of other customers expressing your disgust .. Say the phrase "is this how inappropriately you treat all of your customers ? Taking deposits and delivering false promises ? "' .. Make sure you raise your voice in the showroom floor in front of people at peak hours, not in a closed office ..

This always works

Old 12/30/04, 11:51 AM
Banned

I made sure my paperwork said 100% refundable deposit if for any reason by the dealer or buyer the sale was not completed. I had to ask for it, but I got it!!

Moderated Post

Last edited by shaneyusa; 10/1/23 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12/30/04, 11:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by jwenger@December 30, 2004, 12:48 PM
Don't get mad get even. Throw a brick through his dealership window
I talked with a guy who felt he was getting screwed by the salesman. So to tick the salesman off, the guy saw a new customer walk in and shouted out to him; "Hey that car is advertised lower in the autotrader. Let me show you the article." The salesman got ticked and ended up giving the guy the deal he wanted.
Old 12/30/04, 11:53 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Retro GT@December 30, 2004, 10:34 AM
It doesn't matter what the paper says. The contract is essentially worthless, no more than a piece of paper. I've gone through this before and can assure you that he is obligated to return the full deposit reguardless of whether or not it says 'non-refundable' on the contract. Don't settle for $300... get all your money back. these errogant dealers !!!
Wait why would it be worthless? I don't understand. How could a contract be be worthless? If it's signed by both parties, and one side delivers and the other backs out it is should not a mute contract. Please explain. You got me curious now.

Quick Reply: Dealer ripped me off