2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Offers DIAMOND GLASS!

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/04, 06:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dealer is offering a Ziebert brand "DIAMOND GLOSS", which seals and protects your paint to a show room shine for LIFE ( Guaranteed for 5 years). Says the car wil NEVER need waxing, protects against UV rays, water spotting, bird droppings,bug splatters, tree sap, mud and dirt.........also part of the package is an undercoating. $585 for this....................just wondering if it is worth it :scratch:

Moderated Post

Last edited by shaneyusa; 10/1/23 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10/1/04, 06:42 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I were you I would shop around for undercoating. Usually the dealers charge more and all they do is send it to the same place you could go to by yourself.

Flip through the yellow pages and call the rustproofing places yourself.

As for the 5-year waxes, I am not a fan, have you car waxed by a detailer every year or wax it yourself, the results are much better and so is the look. Just my opinion.
Old 10/1/04, 09:27 AM
GT Member

I would agree.

The winters up here, with all the road salt, does a job on the exterior of the car.

Wax the car yorself, and stay away from the dealer applied 5 year wax job.
Old 10/1/04, 09:35 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 5year job normally is teflon based. They will tell you that once they apply it you CANNOT wax your car. If you do it will cause the product they applied to turn hazey. Stay away from it. Stick to waxing it yourself. Besides, lets say you get a scratch on your car 2 years from now. You buff out the scratch and then need to bring the car back to get the 5 year crap back on it.
Old 10/1/04, 09:35 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention, before waxing your car use glaze. That protects your car from UV, bird droppings, tar, treesap, etc. etc. then wax it.
Old 10/1/04, 09:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

1 word...Zaino

Everythign else is junk.
Old 10/1/04, 09:42 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SVTJayC@October 1, 2004, 10:43 AM
1 word...Zaino

Everythign else is junk.
agreed,

I have never used it, but I have seen the results and they are amazing
Old 10/1/04, 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Never heard of it, but for 600 bucks you can get a full detail once a year and they will wax an polish your car for you...
Old 10/1/04, 09:43 AM

The dealer put that on my 350Z when I bought it and I told them I didn't want it. They ended up putting scratches on the car, and the first time I zaino'd it, it left a terrible haze.
Old 10/1/04, 11:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by SVTJayC@October 1, 2004, 9:43 AM
1 word...Zaino

Everythign else is junk.
Don't do it .... Use Zaino instead. I like to have control over what is put on my paint ....
Old 10/1/04, 11:50 AM
Cobra Member

Agreed. Don't do it. Zaino is great, but Meguiar's makes pretty good stuff for a lot less.
Old 10/1/04, 11:59 AM

Don't do it. These "services" are virtually pure profit to the dealer and offer little if any benefit to the consumer. This is like an extended warranty. It's just not worth it.
Old 10/1/04, 12:04 PM
Banned

COOL..........thanks,.....but I think I will pass on it.

Moderated Post

Last edited by shaneyusa; 10/1/23 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10/1/04, 12:09 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Galaxie@October 1, 2004, 8:45 AM
If I were you I would shop around for undercoating. Usually the dealers charge more and all they do is send it to the same place you could go to by yourself.

Flip through the yellow pages and call the rustproofing places yourself.

As for the 5-year waxes, I am not a fan, have you car waxed by a detailer every year or wax it yourself, the results are much better and so is the look. Just my opinion.
I'm going to take my 05 to Krown for rustproofing. They are the best. Get all my cars done there.
Old 10/1/04, 12:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Hillsdale@October 1, 2004, 12:02 PM
Don't do it. These "services" are virtually pure profit to the dealer and offer little if any benefit to the consumer. This is like an extended warranty. It's just not worth it.
The extended warranty is definitely worth it if you have a warranty repair that costs more than the warranty B)

I personally have never purcahsed one, but I've had 2 friends use their extended warranties and they paid for themselves. It's like insurance again something going wrong. SOme people need the peace of mind.
Old 10/1/04, 12:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Thats great the dealer is charging 600 dollars to wax your car for you. Man these dealerships never seem to amaze me on what they try to get you to do. Its almost as bad as a credit card company anymore. No way would I do that if I were you as stated its a bunch of crap .
Old 10/1/04, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I never assume the dealership knows best regarding anything they're trying to add to my sale, be it extended war, paint protection, or whatever. Do you have a mechanic you can trust? Ask where he would take his own car for detailing, stereo install, etc.

Since I know nothing about anything car-related, that's probably what I'll do. I've got a mechanic I've been going to for more than a decade and he's a Mustang freak to boot.
Old 10/1/04, 12:38 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Meguires SXT stuff is good.... as well. but doesn't last as long as Zaino.

The hazing probably happened when you mixed the 2.

Someone on the GTAMC had a problem like that. Used Zaino, and then used Klasse after he thought the zaino was gone. It hazed BADLY!

You have to really make sure you take it down to NOTHING.
Be very careful, once you start using a specific product
Old 10/1/04, 02:15 PM
V6 Member

PonyGirl:

Here’s what might be an unpopular objective opinion. I have had Ziebart Diamond Gloss for FOUR years. It cost ~ $225 to apply the FIRST time, and $125 for the yearly re-do.

If you WANT to do all the work yourself - time and effort - then as others have said, use the very best products you can find and do the work yourself. Nothing wrong with that.

If you don’t want the work and can afford the initial application plus the $125 yearly re-apply, go the Zeibart route - but NOT from the dealer. Let the dealer sell cars, let Ziebart do the Diamond Gloss.

Was it worth it to me … ABSOLUTELY! If I had time and energy, sure, I would do it myself, but alas, my younger days of such vigor are long gone.

Why am I so sold? The car recently was repainted because it had environmental fallout damage. Not acid rain as Diamond Gloss should protect from, not bird poop. We don’t know what caused the damage. Something burned through the clear-coat down to the color layer. BUT - the insurance company paid for ALL of it (under comprehensive coverage, $3000) even for a four-year-old car - because the paint looked PERFECT. I could not tell the difference between the after new-paint look as compared to the before paint-with-diamond-gloss look. Well worth the investment, in my case.

This isn’t Diamond Gloss vs. Zaino or others. It’s do-it-yourself vs. outsourcing. Again, you can do as well on your own. But if you want to farm off that duty to others, I think the Zeibart product is fine - just not from the dealer. Make sure you do SOMETHING - don’t leave the finish unprotected.
Old 10/1/04, 04:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Most manufacturers don't recommend aftermarket undercoatings anymore. The body panels are protected from the factory. Undercoatings can actually trap water and salt against the body. Proper undercoating should be removed every couple of years and re-applied, which almost no one does.

I have a five year old Silverado that I drive in the winter here in Minnesota. When I get underneath it, I see the usual surface rust on the chassis parts, but the underside of my bed and cab are as clean as can be. It also helps that I regularly wash it at a car wash that has an underbody wash in the winter. Thats probably the best thing to do for winter driving is wash regularly.

Quick Reply: Dealer Offers DIAMOND GLASS!