2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Daytime running lamps

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/04, 06:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the daytime running lamps on as soon as you turn on the key or can they be turned on or off manualy? One thing that drives me nuts is a car that has it's headlights on 100% of the time like my wifes 2000 Malibu. I don't care if they are reduced power. It looks like the people in the car are paranoid about driving.
Old 9/29/04, 06:09 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Huh . .I thought Ford didn't have 'Daytime Running Lights'. :scratch: I've never seen them any any Ford (or Ford Family) vehicle. Is this something new for '05?
Old 9/29/04, 06:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I believe the Canadian Stangs have to have them cause its law there, my brother in law lives in Saskatoon and they are on every car sold there.

GM has them on almost everything, but on my GTO all I did was pull the relay. No codes in the computer and no more DRL.

I bet if you look at your electrical box under the hood of the malibu you may find the relay there.
Old 9/29/04, 06:19 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Daytime running lights are mandatory in Canada.

I am pretty sure they are not in the US, but Chevrolet is including them on most cars as a safety feature.

With us, they are on whenever the car is on and the parking brake is not engaged.
Old 9/29/04, 06:45 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I like my lights. I don't have to turn them on or off. I will likely go through 3 batteries before I learn I need to do it manually now.
Old 9/29/04, 06:47 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

They will be the headlights I'm sure not the fogs.
Old 9/29/04, 07:07 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by ponyboy66@September 29, 2004, 6:09 PM
Are the daytime running lamps on as soon as you turn on the key or can they be turned on or off manualy? One thing that drives me nuts is a car that has it's headlights on 100% of the time like my wifes 2000 Malibu. I don't care if they are reduced power. It looks like the people in the car are paranoid about driving.
Only Fords outside the USA have running lights standard. The US models do not have his feature as standard equipment.
Old 9/29/04, 07:13 PM

what i hope is that the fog lamps are like the 99+ that can be turned on when the parking lights are on . nad not like my expedition where you have to have the headlights on before you can use the fog lamps
Old 9/29/04, 07:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

This is what it states in the users manual.
Does this mean that US cars aren't equipped?

Daytime running lamps (DRL) (if equipped)
Turns the headlamps on with a reduced output. When activated, the DRL
telltale is illuminated.
To activate:
• the ignition must be in the ON position,
• the headlamp control is in the OFF or parking lamp position and
• the parking brake must be disengaged.
Always remember to turn on your headlamps at dusk or during
inclement weather. The Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) system
does not activate the tail lamps and generally may not provide
adequate lighting during these conditions. Failure to activate your
headlamps under these conditions may result in a collision.
Old 9/29/04, 08:15 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish all US cars had DRLs. Its like a routine when I get in the Mach 1. Ignition, seat belt, lights, traction control-off.
Old 9/29/04, 08:21 PM
Cobra Member

Nope, Ford doesn't have daytime running lamps as standard equipment in the U.S. I actually prefer it that way, myself. It's not really extremely difficult to remember to turn your lights on in the dark or in the rain, and I like the look of a car without headlights on far better than those with DRL's.

The best of both worlds, however, would be automatic headlights that come on when a light sensor is triggered. I have those in my Lincoln. :yes:
Old 9/29/04, 08:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by ponyboy66@September 29, 2004, 6:09 PM
I'm an EMT with an ambulance service. All of our ambulances (Fords) have DRLs installed. Personally I think that it's a good idea to have your headlights on during the day as it makes your car more visible to other drivers.
Old 9/29/04, 08:34 PM
Bullitt Member

While i see the point in DRL's, i'd much rather have it manually controlled. The '05 US 'Stangs won't be equipped with DRL's.

...as for the fog lamps being on without headlights remains to be seen. I have a feeling they only come on with the headlights on.
Old 9/29/04, 08:39 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Although it is mandatory in Canada to have Daytime running lights, I don't like them so I just pull the parking brake up 1 click to turn them off. Then again, I mainly did this so I had my parking lights and lower fog lights on when cruisin, since the 05 stang has the fog lights in the center of the grill who knows what I will do.
Old 9/29/04, 08:40 PM
Cobra Member

Personally, I've never had any problem whatsoever in seeing a 15'+ vehicle in broad daylight. And I certainly can't see a car that has its headlights on any better than one that doesn't in the daytime. Maybe if you lived in an extremely shady area all the time, DRL's would make perfect sense.

Maybe I'm taking Florida sunshine for granted.
Old 9/29/04, 08:43 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Originally posted by adrenalin@September 29, 2004, 9:42 PM
Although it is mandatory in Canada to have Daytime running lights, I don't like them so I just pull the parking brake up 1 click to turn them off. Then again, I mainly did this so I had my parking lights and lower fog lights on when cruisin, since the 05 stang has the fog lights in the center of the grill who knows what I will do.
One of the Canucks, Arboc, konws or has a module that defeats DRL

maybe it would be cheap investment, better than leaving the parking brake up a click.
Old 9/29/04, 08:57 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I felt the same way as you Justin when the headlights became manditory up here in Canada but over the years I noticed especially on the highway that the new cars being void of almost any crome seem to blend in with the scenery more than a car with its lights on (you really notice this with a dirty car!) .If you can pick up on it in the distance farther away you get more room to re-act .As well we can get snow storms in mid-day in the winter with "white outs" in spots .This to me is where the daytime running lights really make a differance.
Old 9/29/04, 09:43 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah, I guess there are some drivers who are cognatively challenged enough to NOT turn on their headlights in a snow storm. I can definitely see where DRL's could help those morons.

It's bad enough to see people down here not turn on their lights when it starts raining. I like the signs in Georgia that remind you to turn on your lights in rain. :yes:
Old 9/29/04, 10:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Some cars like the C5 and the new Caddys look pretty good with the DRL's on all the time. Their low placement on both cars help to give the illusion of the cars being a little lower and sleeker, and in the case of the C5, wider.

Other than that I don't need em.
Old 9/29/04, 11:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Dr Iven@September 29, 2004, 7:24 PM
Nope, Ford doesn't have daytime running lamps as standard equipment in the U.S. I actually prefer it that way, myself. It's not really extremely difficult to remember to turn your lights on in the dark or in the rain, and I like the look of a car without headlights on far better than those with DRL's.

The best of both worlds, however, would be automatic headlights that come on when a light sensor is triggered. I have those in my Lincoln. :yes:
My parents have that on their base model 2000 Corolla lol. It's a good feature to have them turn on when darkness is detected, but not necessary.
Nothing wrong with daytime running lights other than the bulb-life. And the look isnt appealing for the 05.

Quick Reply: Daytime running lamps