2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Coupe vs Vert

Search this Thread

Old 5/17/06, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coupe vs Vert

Hello all,

Im going to order my 07 soon and need some suggestions. I live in Colorado and this will be my daily driver. They use Magnesium Chloride on the roads in the winter here and I am concerned what that will do to the convertible top.

Does anyone have any comments on how their convertible top is holding up in general over the last few years and has anyone dealt with the magnesium chloride with a convertible top?

I dont want to have to replace the top every few years or so, I would rather spend the money on supercharger, body mods etc on a coupe.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 5/17/06, 12:05 PM
V6 Member

I'm not sure about magnesium chloride. But my 01 vert top(med. parchment) has held up well through the winters in Illinois. On a new 07 (with a black top?), it most likely will fade over time by the sun and driving elements. The top on my 01 seems to be a better quality than on the 06. If you're really worried about it, you might as well just buy the coupe and save the extra money. Here in Illinois I really don't have much of a season to drive vert.
Old 5/17/06, 04:30 PM

I never had top wear/fading problems from road salt with any of my verts here in Illinois.
GO Top down baby!
Old 5/17/06, 10:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i had a vert for over 2 years before my 05...and never had a problem with the DD in nebraska

except for where it was rubbed raw by the boot surround...but that had nothing to do with the icemelt
Old 5/19/06, 09:22 AM
Cobra Member

How's the interior noise level on the S197 convertibles? I've ridden in some older convertibles (not Mustangs though) and some of them seemed a lot noisier than a coupe... Just curious...

Seems like it would be fun to have that open air feeling of a convert, but I guess it's too late for me, I bought a coupe... oh well, maybe next time...
Old 5/20/06, 04:55 AM
Bullitt Member

I agree with Mustangbrad01's comment on the cloth top fading. Just take a look at some older cloth vert top jags and BMWs. I drive my car year round through New England winters and I had the same concern. I could have ordered the standard vinyl vert top which would be a lot easier to maintain (and in fact renew with protectorants), but in the end I ordered the cloth because it looks so much better, plus it's new for 2007. Go witht the cloth and don't worry about it. Please - no flames for this - but my attitude is that the Mustang is the perfect "disposable" commuter car...it's just slightly more expensive than a loaded Camry or Accord but it's so much more rewarding and fun to drive, and there's always someone looking to buy a well preserved used one. Buy what you like and don't worry about what'll happen down the road. When my top starts to look shabby I'll replace it or use it as an excuse to buy a new one!
Old 5/20/06, 10:26 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might want to calculate how many months of the year you can actually drive with the top down, then ask yourself if it's worth it. You can also search around on the web for pros and cons of vert ownership. Personally, I tend to think that unless you live in a climate that is warm and sunny most of the year, it's not worth the extra headaches that a convertible is sure to bring.

That, plus the coupe just looks better, IMHO. The convertible kind of spoils the lines of the SN-197 a bit.
Old 5/20/06, 06:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Vermillion06
How's the interior noise level on the S197 convertibles? I've ridden in some older convertibles (not Mustangs though) and some of them seemed a lot noisier than a coupe... Just curious...

Seems like it would be fun to have that open air feeling of a convert, but I guess it's too late for me, I bought a coupe... oh well, maybe next time...
The interior noise is not bad at all! I'm actually more concerned with noise from the non-soundproofed transmission than I am the roof.

I love having a Vert!!! Driving top down just can NOT be beat!!!!