2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Cool CarDomain page

Search this Thread

Old 9/1/04 | 10:46 AM
Cobra R Member

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/670307

I hadn't seen these before (hopefully y'all haven't either) but there are some great shots. I particularly like the roof comparison and the drag racing pics.
Old 9/1/04 | 10:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the link. I especially like this pic. Take away the rear spoiler, and the '05 looks close to perfect.

Old 9/1/04 | 10:58 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Cool Pics. Thanks for posting. That 65 is awesome looking too. Makes me wish I still had my first car. It was a 66 Fire Engine Red all original that I sold for $800 :cry: probably one of the dumbest things I have EVER done.
Old 9/1/04 | 11:06 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by CA Stang@September 1, 2004, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the link. I especially like this pic. Take away the rear spoiler, and the '05 looks close to perfect.
I agree. If you look closely, you'll notice that the designers threw in a bit of a curve painted at the bottom corners of the back window to mimick the 65-66 fastback's window. But the glass itself is squared off. It'll only really look right on a black car though. One of the many reason's I'll be getting a black one with no wing myself.

Edit: You can see what I'm talking about here:

And a contrasting pic for good measure:
Old 9/1/04 | 11:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

looks cool
Old 9/1/04 | 11:55 AM
GT Member

Thanks for the link. I wonder how his '65 did against the '05, i assume they raced since there is a picture of them on the track B) .
Old 9/1/04 | 11:56 AM
Cobra Member

Just tint that window and it will look good.
Old 9/1/04 | 12:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by freebass55@September 1, 2004, 11:59 AM
i agree. it's will probably disapear for the most part when tinted. especially if you tint all the way to the legal limit.

B)
Old 9/1/04 | 01:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by wantan05@September 1, 2004, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the link. I wonder how his '65 did against the '05, i assume they raced since there is a picture of them on the track B) .
His page says that the 65 is stock. That being the case, the 05 would destroy it.
Old 9/1/04 | 01:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by freebass55@September 1, 2004, 12:59 PM
I think it looks good already.
Old 9/1/04 | 01:14 PM
FR500 Member

all soooo nice!!
Old 9/1/04 | 01:22 PM
I Have No Life

Originally posted by freebass55@September 1, 2004, 11:59 AM
Here is a tip for those tinting your back window (I'll have limo tint on the rear). At the top of the window there will be a "dotted" section instead of solid black which is to help "shade" the rear passengers. When tint goes on this area it does not stick well causing bubbles to form which are very obvious from outside the car. What you do is tint up to that point and then go to a sign shop and ask for a scrap piece of black vinyl. You then place that on the inside of the window, like you did the tint. You will not have any white bubble marks around the dots and you can't even tell you used vinyl inside the car.

Trust me it works. I use to work at a sign shop where I also tinted windows. I use to do this on a lot of show cars and it is on my 97 GT. Works great and easy to do.
Old 9/1/04 | 01:25 PM
Cobra Member

great pics
Old 9/1/04 | 02:13 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@September 1, 2004, 12:25 PM
At the top of the window there will be a "dotted" section instead of solid black which is to help "shade" the rear passengers.
Is this on all windows or just these cars? If it's just these cars that would explain why I have never noticed or had any problem like that before.
Old 9/1/04 | 02:40 PM

Great pics!

As good as the '05 looks, there are still some styling aspects that I think the '65 does a bit better. Basically, the '65's overall apperance and stance is a bit lower, leaner, wider and airier than the '05, which, in contrast, appears a bit taller, chunkier, narrower and confined. This is just the appearance as opposed to actual dimensions.

One of my car "tests" is the arm on the window sill test -- can I comfortably cruise around with my arm resting on the window sill. Way too many cars today, with their "baby in a bathtub" style, would have you in orthopedic surgery should you try this. I mean, how can you cruise without your arm on the window fer cry'in out loud!

I really like the lower beltline and greater glass area of the '05 in particular whereas the '05 follows current styling trends of being somewhat slab sided and high-waisted with lessened glass area, just rather thick and dense looking. While I guess some somehow equate this with looking tough or muscular in a kind of overwraught WWF way, the extra mass that connotes just seems to make this kind of styling seem heavy and ponderous, just the opposite of what a performance car ought to be.

The '65, in contrast, seems lean, light, lithe and athletic -- more decathelete than pro wrestler. But again, the '05 looks great overall and certainly avoids going too far with the au currant styling trends mentioned above. And final judgement will, of course, have to wait till I see one in the flesh.
Old 9/1/04 | 02:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by adrenalin+September 1, 2004, 7:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adrenalin @ September 1, 2004, 7:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-freebass55@September 1, 2004, 11:59 AM
Here is a tip for those tinting your back window (I'll have limo tint on the rear). At the top of the window there will be a "dotted" section instead of solid black which is to help "shade" the rear passengers. When tint goes on this area it does not stick well causing bubbles to form which are very obvious from outside the car. What you do is tint up to that point and then go to a sign shop and ask for a scrap piece of black vinyl. You then place that on the inside of the window, like you did the tint. You will not have any white bubble marks around the dots and you can't even tell you used vinyl inside the car.

Trust me it works. I use to work at a sign shop where I also tinted windows. I use to do this on a lot of show cars and it is on my 97 GT. Works great and easy to do. [/b][/quote]
If you take a close look the 05 doesn't have the Dot Matrix on it's windows. Only on the windshield behind the Mirror, Where it also has a Pony on the Glass. But that's a very good tip for anyone that has the Dot Matrix like I do on my 97 Thunderbird.

Got a question for you though, Can this be done on the Quarter windows too? that is one of the things I hate about my Tint, it has this outline of Bubbles around the outside edge of the window because of the Dot Matrix.

The reason for the Dot Matrix was to hide the internals behind Interior Trim, that would otherwise show through the glass without it, and it originaly came out on cars in the Early to Mid 80's.
Old 9/1/04 | 03:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by rhumb@September 1, 2004, 8:43 PM
Great pics!

As good as the '05 looks, there are still some styling aspects that I think the '65 does a bit better. Basically, the '65's overall apperance and stance is a bit lower, leaner, wider and airier than the '05, which, in contrast, appears a bit taller, chunkier, narrower and confined. This is just the appearance as opposed to actual dimensions.

That is Due to Modern Asthetics, where a Pronounced Wedge Shape Rising from Front to Rear, Denotes Power, Speed, and Better Aerodynamics, Unlike the more Casual or Relaxed Stance that Ford used on the 02-05 Thunderbirds, where the Wedge was Reversed. Older Cars like the 65 Pictured here had that more Relaxed Stance.

One of my car "tests" is the arm on the window sill test -- can I comfortably cruise around with my arm resting on the window sill. Way too many cars today, with their "baby in a bathtub" style, would have you in orthopedic surgery should you try this. I mean, how can you cruise without your arm on the window fer cry'in out loud!

Well I hate to tell you the 05 will not pass your "Arm On the Window Test" I'm 6'4" tall and you see where my shoulders are on the 05?

I really like the lower beltline and greater glass area of the '65 in particular whereas the '05 follows current styling trends of being somewhat slab sided and high-waisted with lessened glass area, just rather thick and dense looking.

The Higher Belt line on the 05 is a direct result of the aformentioned, Wedge Styling, but also serves another purpose, It Makes the car seem Sportier as it makes you feel more like you are sitting Down In the Car as Opposed to sitting with your Torso On Display like alot of Modern Cars have done.

While I guess some somehow equate this with looking tough or muscular in a kind of overwraught WWF way, the extra mass that connotes just seems to make this kind of styling seem heavy and ponderous, just the opposite of what a performance car ought to be.

Again, just the Effects of Modern Asthetics.

The '65, in contrast, seems lean, light, lithe and athletic -- more decathelete than pro wrestler. But again, the '05 looks great overall and certainly avoids going too far with the au currant styling trends mentioned above. And final judgement will, of course, have to wait till I see one in the flesh.

I agree that the 05 has a Perfect Mix of Both the Old and New! Not completly Retro, or Completly Modern. It's a Very Nice Intrpretation of A Classic in a Modern Way.

Old 9/1/04 | 03:36 PM

The Higher Belt line on the 05 is a direct result of the aformentioned, Wedge Styling, but also serves another purpose, It Makes the car seem Sportier as it makes you feel more like you are sitting Down In the Car as Opposed to sitting with your Torso On Display like alot of Modern Cars have done.
That sort of reminds me of the GM practice of making the throttle linkage ratio super fast off idle to give the impression as opposed to the reality of power and sportiness.

I tend to equate sport and performance driving with interacting with the road and outside environment rather than being sequestered away from it by high sills, cowls and narrow windows, regardless of seat height. I'd rather my torso be a bit exposed for if I wanted to shy away from the world, I'd get a full tint limo or something.

Give me excellent visability and sight lines so as to better be able to nail that corner apex with surgical precision rather than slumped down in a tub like some punk trying to make like a thug wannabe.

As for the wedge shape, that does explain some of what I whine about, but I think there is a definite trend to very purposefully make cars very high sided, slab-sided and with very narrow window heights/areas.

While I'm in no way proposing the opposite extreme -- reverse rake ala T-Bird -- my hope would have been that the '05's beltline sort of leveled off aft of the front wheel then kicked up again aft of the door with a bit of traditional Mustang "hip" to give that rake to the overall line - basically the best of both worlds in my mind. I thought the '69-'70 models did this beautifully. But alas, Ford/J Mays decided to go with the typical single arc beltline so common these days rather than a more sculpted one such as on the '64-'70 Stangs.
Old 9/1/04 | 03:41 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

rhumb, you're decribing your/our probe again. Low beltline, athletic body design and lots of window area. Too bad they're getting old eh?
Old 9/1/04 | 03:50 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Originally posted by Dan@September 1, 2004, 4:44 PM
rhumb, you're decribing your/our probe again. Low beltline, athletic body design and lots of window area. Too bad they're getting old eh?
Sell yours to me

I need a good winter beater :P

Quick Reply: Cool CarDomain page