2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Convincing The Wife/Husband 101

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/04, 12:09 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen it mentioned a few times through the months, but thought it might warrant its own thread.

How is everyone going about showing their significant other that the '05 Mustang is a necessary purchase? Did you have a hard time? Was it a mutual decision? Did you have to promise to buy him/her one too?

I'm getting married next Fall so my fiance wasn't too big on the idea when I told her I wanted one for Spring '05, especially since I just bought my POS Jetta last April. I ultimately convinced her through reassuring her that financially (company stocks and what-not) we'd be more than okay. She basically just threw up her arms and said "you do what you want to do". I know she'll be gleaming when I finally get to bring it home, but I really hate going against her opinion on such a large purchase. The compromise would be to wait for Spring '06, but I don't think I can wait that long to get my GT.

By the way...single folk need not reply (unless divorced, of course )
Old 8/19/04, 12:20 PM
Bullitt Member

i've been having that sort of problem too... i'm in the air force- so its not like theres a chance for me to lose my job and end up losing the mustang- but my husband flip flops back and forth from "yes lets do it" to - "lets wait 2 years"- he's all with me on getting it- we both want it bad- but i want it more than he does- and i know we will be able to afford it in January- but he wants us to wait until we go back to the states ( in TWO years!) i cannot and WILL NOT wait that long to get one- i'm having to wait long enough already!!!!!
Old 8/19/04, 12:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by SickofMyVWAlready@August 19, 2004, 10:12 AM
"you do what you want to do"
Sounds like permission to me.

I wanna do the same thing, so I gave her the old "I'm in charge" speech. She didn't really go for that, so I just told her she has to drive it to see how fun it is, plus I talk about cars all the time so I really think she just agrees to shut me up.
Old 8/19/04, 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I started by making a sort of wimpering noise every time we passed a mustang on the road.

Next, I told her I was looking at an '04 Mach I. I took her to see it and she said she hated the shaker scoop ( ). I told her (acting disappointed ) that I guess I would just have to wait for the '05.

Next I showed her pictures of the '05. She said it looked kind of like a BMW ( ) and that she may consider it.

Next, I sealed the deal by constantly referring to the '05 on my computer desktop to my 3 3-year old daughters as "daddy's new car". Following my evil plan, the girls would point to the desktop a say, "Mommy look at daddy's new car" further confirming it.

The capper will be the big birthday present I give her on Aug. 22nd.
Old 8/19/04, 12:33 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Bug em till they get sick of hearing it and give in works for me...

If I only Had..
Look, I want one of those
OOH isn't that pretty- wish I had one

Soooooooooo Happy Birthday to me (Early 05 Eleanor comes home)
Old 8/19/04, 12:34 PM
GT Member

Your Mazda?
Old 8/19/04, 12:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Get it before you get married as soon as you can, because you never know when she will "change her mind". I can tell by her quote of "you do what you want to do" that she will end up female doging about it anyways whenever the topic of money comes up. Trust me on this one!
Old 8/19/04, 12:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Hahah! Language filters are hillarious!
Old 8/19/04, 12:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The main question you need to ask yourself is, what is more important to you? A new Mustang or your relationship with your fiancee? More than likely she is wondering the same thing. I would suggest sitting down and having a talk. Is she dead set against it or is she just worried about it financally? Take for a test drive when they come out and maybe that will help, but if your serious about getting married to her then don't just go and do it without her. When she said just do what you want to I'm sure she said it to see what you do. Just my 0.02 cents since I don't know either of you. I'm 39 and dealing with my 2nd divorce now so I unfortunately know a little about this type of thing. Hope it helps and good luck either way you go.
Old 8/19/04, 12:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I say wait a little. You still have a fairly new reliable car, and you can just wait to let Ford get all the little kinks out. Another plus would be that in a year you will hear from hundreds of people on aftermarket products. Let them be your guinea pigs
Old 8/19/04, 12:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I've gotta admit, Treadhead has a good point there. I guess you should use his advice first, but if that doesn't work you can try mine
Old 8/19/04, 12:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by SickofMyVWAlready@August 19, 2004, 12:37 PM
Your Mazda?
That's actually a win/win. The gift is cash for something she has been wanting, but not done well in saving for. I'll just say that it involves some elective surgery.
Old 8/19/04, 01:04 PM
GT Member

Great advice, everyone (special props to Treadhead). I'll definitely re-evaluate the situation once we both take a test drive.

You still have a fairly new reliable car
I only wish that were true. That's what started this dilemma. The Jetta has been in the shop 5 times so far with various sensor/electrical issues and still runs pretty badly. It was on my second trip to the dealer (for the same problem) that I started looking around on the internet and came upon the '05 Pony. I was immediately sold. But, your point is well taken, so long as I'm still under warranty. Actually, her having to drive me to and from the dealer did sway her a bit more. I should be thankful I made such a lousy purchase
Old 8/19/04, 01:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Luckily for me my Fiancée likes the '05 almost as much as I do... It'll be sitting in the garage next to her Beetle 'Vert... Though I'll probably wait until late winter/spring, as my Escape will be at 2 years ~24k miles...
Old 8/19/04, 01:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by SickofMyVWAlready@August 19, 2004, 1:07 PM
Great advice, everyone (special props to Treadhead). I'll definitely re-evaluate the situation once we both take a test drive.

You still have a fairly new reliable car
I only wish that were true. That's what started this dilemma. The Jetta has been in the shop 5 times so far with various sensor/electrical issues and still runs pretty badly. It was on my second trip to the dealer (for the same problem) that I started looking around on the internet and came upon the '05 Pony. I was immediately sold. But, your point is well taken, so long as I'm still under warranty. Actually, her having to drive me to and from the dealer did sway her a bit more. I should be thankful I made such a lousy purchase
In that case look into the lemon laws. That would be even better I believe, seeing as that you wouldn't have to worry about selling your current car and/or trade-in value.
Old 8/19/04, 01:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by freebass55+August 19, 2004, 12:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (freebass55 @ August 19, 2004, 12:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-SickofMyVWAlready@August 19, 2004, 10:12 AM
"you do what you want to do"
Sounds like permission to me.

I wanna do the same thing, so I gave her the old "I'm in charge" speech. She didn't really go for that, so I just told her she has to drive it to see how fun it is, plus I talk about cars all the time so I really think she just agrees to shut me up.[/b][/quote]
That was my thought - her approval.

The "I'm in charge" speech, is that the one that goes...

I'M IN CHARGE (when you aren't around)
Old 8/19/04, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Red face

The day my gf/fiance/wife starts telling me what cars I can or cannot buy is the day she is >>> out of here >>>
Old 8/19/04, 01:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts
Getting the approval was easy - all I had to do was buy her the car SHE wanted last time. And it is fun too - for a bride car

The next one is MINE - 05 GT vert in black.
Old 8/19/04, 01:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I lucked out too. My wife likes the 05. Actually, she likes the 04 better right now (because she can see it physically). She did admit that she is kinda excited about the 05.

But definetely talk about things and make sure everything is understood between each other. Nothing is worse than having someone keep bringing up a point over and over and over and over.

And my 2 cents... becareful if your stock is all/mostly in your one company - Diversify, even big companies go down.
Old 8/19/04, 01:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts
Getting the approval was easy - all I had to do was buy her the car SHE wanted last time. And it is fun too - for a bride car

The next one is MINE - 05 GT vert in black.

Quick Reply: Convincing The Wife/Husband 101