2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Convince me....spolier or no spolier?

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/05, 01:47 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, thanks all for opinions and pics. I went in and ordered today.....no spoiler. My thinking was, if I had to have one after, I can. Easier to add than take off. Besides, I saw pics with the ducktail, and I love how that looks.

So, since I am looking to get a ducktail, no spoiler was the answer.

So, I got the redfire with the black top. IUP, Shaker 1000.

I cannot wait!!!!

Now, just need to find a buyer for the 04!!!

Thanks again, all.
Old 1/7/05, 01:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

the ducktail is for 64-68 lovers, and the stock design is for 69-73 guys
whichever retro you're goin' with, they both will look great
Old 1/7/05, 01:56 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by davids2toys@January 7, 2005, 2:15 PM
Originally Posted by TampaBear67,January 7, 2005, 2:00 PM
Originally Posted by holderca1,January 6, 2005, 2:34 PM
I am tired of all this talk about the spoiler taking away from the retro theme, my favorite Mustang of all time has a spoiler.
<center>AMEN!</center>

Some of the GREATEST Mustangs of All Time Had Spoilers! So how is Not having a Spoiler in Keeping with the Retro theme of the 05?

Man did this guy hit the nail right on the head, great pics, that will be the theme I will be using if Ford ever gets around to building my car...with the spoiler of course! Just take it off, paint it black, reinstall, almost a free MOD and with no x-tra holes drill in your new STANG!
Actually, I can see where they got the design for the '05 spoiler at, it is very similar to the spoiler used in those photos, so the stock spoiler is definitely retro.
Old 1/7/05, 02:44 PM
Banned

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT, Only if you plan on going with the duck tail. The rear end does need something though...............plain just doesnt look right
________
Park Royal 3 Condominium Prathumnak

Last edited by PonyGirl; 9/10/11 at 08:46 PM.
Old 1/7/05, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by bullittman68@January 7, 2005, 2:54 PM
the ducktail is for 64-68 lovers, and the stock design is for 69-73 guys
whichever retro you're goin' with, they both will look great
Actually, the '64-'68 Stangs (Shelby Stangs excepted), which is probably the closest inspiration for the '05, never came with any rear spoilers.

The '69-'70 fastbacks had the ducktail as an integral part of their rear end styling and at least the Mach Is and Bosses had the spoiler option, which continued on the '71-'73 Stangs too.

The '67-'70 Shelby Stangs had ducktail type rear end spoilers, while the '65-'66 Shelby Stangs had clean butts.
Old 1/7/05, 03:36 PM

Actually, I can see where they got the design for the '05 spoiler at, it is very similar to the spoiler used in those photos, so the stock spoiler is definitely retro.
Kinda close. The original spoilers were actaully fairly aerodynamic in shape (cross section), being derived from the Trans Am racers, and, if I recall, could even be adjusted for angle of attack. They were nominally functional.

The '05 spoiler, on the other hand, is purely a stylized piece and hardly very aerodynamic, being quite squared both in front and rear ends (spoiler and spoiler pedastal). Its aerodynamics and functionality are more akin to a plank of wood nailed to the trunk lid. Believe me, you're not going to see the stock '05 spoiler on any serious road race Mustangs, not winning ones at least.
Old 1/7/05, 04:37 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by rhumb@January 7, 2005, 4:39 PM
Kinda close. The original spoilers were actaully fairly aerodynamic in shape (cross section), being derived from the Trans Am racers, and, if I recall, could even be adjusted for angle of attack. They were nominally functional.

The '05 spoiler, on the other hand, is purely a stylized piece and hardly very aerodynamic, being quite squared both in front and rear ends (spoiler and spoiler pedastal). Its aerodynamics and functionality are more akin to a plank of wood nailed to the trunk lid. Believe me, you're not going to see the stock '05 spoiler on any serious road race Mustangs, not winning ones at least.
Sooo, let me get this straight. You are saying an '05 with a spoiler is not worthy and/or uncapable of beating anyone else because it has a spoiler to begin with? Just because some of you don't like it, doesn't make the car any faster or slower than one without it. I feel dumber by even saying that. I really hope you are joking when you say, "you're not going to see the stock '05 spoiler on any serious road race Mustangs, not winning ones at least", because that's a load of bull hockey sir/ma'am. Ever thought, I don't know, that maybe people want it because they think it looks good? I mean, heck, the front fog lamps on the Mustang GT don't make the thing go any faster, but alot of people really like how they look. The same thing could be said for the GT badge on the trunk, or the IUP setup some people choose. I can mod my GT up (which I will, and has a spoiler, thank you very da** much) and be as fast and SERIOUS as one without it. That had to be one of the most conceited posts I've seen on this thread. Bottom line: The '05 looks great both ways, and we all have differing opinions from person to person. Thanks, rant off. For now...
Old 1/7/05, 04:39 PM
V6 Member

It's your choice, but I can tell you that european magazines said that this stock spoiler looks like "do it your self" I think the same, will buy without
Old 1/7/05, 04:39 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Tampabear, thanks for the stroll down memory lane! Those pix were choice. I don't think the spoiler ruins the car's retro theme, but I still don't want one on mine. I think the car is just fine without it.

Several of those older 'Stangs sported a ducktail AND a spoiler. I thought that was redundant. The '05s designers originally wanted to use both as well. They decided against the ducktail because they felt it would make the fleet cars look too aggressive.

(I understand their decision, but I wish they incorporated the ducktail anyway. Conversely, if you drive an econobox and need to rent a car, wouldn't a sporty Mustang with a ducktail be a welcome departure from the norm?)

They also thought the ducktail made the tail end look too busy. They settled on the spoiler... and spoiler delete (sorry to my canuck buddies). If they thought everyone wanted a spoiler, they wouldn't have offered an option.

PS - Thanks for gathering those pix together. Made 'em easy to cut and paste onto my PC!
Old 1/7/05, 04:42 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by ar156@January 7, 2005, 5:42 PM
It's your choice, but I can tell you that european magazines said that this stock spoiler looks like "do it your self" I think the same, will buy without
No offense to you at all ar156, but most European car mags are saying something at least halfway negative about EVERY American made automobile. I don't think I've read or watched one automotive debate over this Mustang in a European context and seen a perfect, gleeming opinion from them. Just from my own experiences anyway. Like I said, not aiming this at you, just saying.
Old 1/7/05, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Spoiler - It's free on the GT!....considering you don't get a credit on the Spoiler Delete option
Old 1/7/05, 05:04 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by racerx@January 7, 2005, 6:00 PM
Spoiler - It's free on the GT!....considering you don't get a credit on the Spoiler Delete option
Excellent point, racerx! I kinda wish they would give you credit since you're getting less for the same money. Seems unfair, doesn't it? At least put the spoiler in the trunk with some mounting hardware in case you change your mind down the road.

Oh jeez, now I'm dreaming. If they're building these cars to order, they could just leave the spoiler all wrapped up in the trunk! How about it, Ford?
Old 1/7/05, 05:33 PM
V6 Member

Yes I know that but not me. I love american cars and this is now offence from my side. This is only opinion and I must say that new Stang got very good judgement in those magazines exept spoiler. And I think that thay are right.
This is not Top Gear I hate this show
Old 1/7/05, 05:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Guys Glad you liked the Trip Down Memory Lane, All of those Pic's are Linked Directly from Brads Timeline!

I for One LOVE Ducktail Spoilers, but since the 05's Fenders dont Dip before the Ducktail would rise, I just want the Factory Spoiller My Self. I know it's all about Your Perception of what you see in the 05's.

See to me the 05 Stang represents the best of everything Mustang! The only thing I see From the 64-66, is the Roof line and Quarter Windows from the early Shelbys. From the 67-68's I see some of the Front End, Grill mainly.

But I also see a lot of 69 in the front end too, 4 Headlights, pointed Prow. As well as some 73, in the Front Bumper near the center especially. It reminds me of those early Eurathane Body Color Bumpers.

But when i see that Sexy Behind All I can think about is a 69/70 Mach1. Which the 69 Mach 1 just happens to be my Favorite Classic Mustang! I think the 05 captures a Lot More of the Muscle Car Mustangs Image than the 64-68's Pony Car Image.

But that's just what psycological dust that the 05 Mustang stirs in my memory, what it stirs in someone elses mind is what's going to keep this car a hit for a LONG Time!

Old 1/30/05, 12:00 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just for some balance. One of my favorites.
Old 1/31/05, 05:44 PM
Bullitt Member

no spoiler the way to go, then wait for CDC aftermarket ducktail w/3rd light----much better-----IMO...........either way, if it makes you happy when you turn the key, who cares WTF other people think...
Old 1/31/05, 05:48 PM
Bullitt Member

,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,sorry, enjoying the smilies,,,,,,,
Old 1/31/05, 05:53 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Spoiler vs. no spoiler .........take 40. I ordered it with a spoiler......but I can't understand why YOU can't decide what you like better?