No!
39.53%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Is the convertible top in cloth worth an extra $5055

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/06, 08:16 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd check the SCCA rules about racing with a vert. I know I tried to do some racing stuff with mine and was told that I couldn't until I added a structural roll bar.
Old 11/9/06, 08:26 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree to the positive...

x2 on everything said...it is nice....but I would cover it if you don't have a garage.
Old 11/9/06, 12:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have a vert but, I don't have to drive it everyday. A big bonus. If i had to drive it everyday it would have been a coupe I think. I have the vinyl and like it. I have heard that a car cover leaves lint on the cloth if that matters to you. Also, there is a little more noise coming in then a coupe.
I do like the looks of them, have you considered a Cali Special?
Old 11/9/06, 01:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Okay, I want to chime in on this one....

I'm in the vinyl category (the minority...again) and frankly, I don't know what the big pull is on cloth, I don't think it looks that much better. To be honest, if you don't live in nice sunny North Carolina, it is probably more of a pain than not. Yes, I have vinyl, and no I'm not hatin'!!!

#1. Seems like it would be a pain to keep dust and salt out of the cloth...one guy said he had to buy a LINT ROLLER? For your car? You're suppose to pamper your car, not groom it.

#2. I've heard people on this forum say it gets wet and heavy, think about the strain that must put on the already borderline vert motor (when you feel like putting it down after washing it maybe?). I know someone said you can blow it out with a leaf blower, but has anyone here had much success blowing water out of a cloth sweater?

#3. Would sun fade will probably be more of an issue with cloth than vinyl if you upkeep both equally? I don't know

IMHO, you buy a vert for the top down look, and as for top up, well, I can't say the vinyl looks bad or cheap. I love the way this car looks as a vert, since it has a nice clean roof line with this body style. Others have said if you plan to race, probably want a coupe. If you stick with a vert, I would suggest a few things:

A. Get a strut tower brace...there isn't much body roll, but I sure felt a difference

B. Get it lowered, the 4X4 look is out...don't slam it though...that's just dumb! Oh yeah, go with 18" wheels they really fill out the wheel well better.

C. Get a nice axle-back so you can enjoy the wind in your hair and the rumble in your ears with the top down.

That's my .03....

-Darth
Old 11/9/06, 01:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the many insights, keep them coming

I am leaning towards the coupe option since the added upkeep and lack of garage protection are swaying me away. I am looking into one of those ugly metal corrigated(sp?) steal garages.
Old 11/9/06, 07:36 PM
V6 Member

My '07 GT is my 3rd convertible. If you want it for mostly pleasure driving, it is hard to beat a vert. However, they are not for everyone. If you are not sure about getting a vert, I agree with previous advise, go rent one for a weekend and see for yourself.

If all out performance and handling are your priority, get the fastback. They are stiffer and offer a little more that way.
Old 11/10/06, 07:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Stang
Okay, I want to chime in on this one....

#2. I've heard people on this forum say it gets wet and heavy, think about the strain that must put on the already borderline vert motor (when you feel like putting it down after washing it maybe?). I know someone said you can blow it out with a leaf blower, but has anyone here had much success blowing water out of a cloth sweater?
Never never never lower a wet cloth top. Don't even lower a damp one.

It's not really a good idea to lower a wet vinyl top, but they dry so fast anyway.
Old 11/10/06, 04:33 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TacoBill
...and a rainy day, extremely hot day, cold day, etc, especially if it's going to be a daily.
Are you a vert hater??
Old 11/10/06, 04:59 PM
Bullitt Member

You will not regret getting a Convertible! It is like having the best parts of a sports car and a motorcycle all rolled up in one! I sold my Corvette Hardtop and my motorcycle, and with my Vert, I still get the best of both worlds...well except that it is a lot slower than my Vette Taking it to the track would be the only drawback with a Vert, and you really should keep it in a garage, but I don't plan to ever be without a Vert again.
Old 11/11/06, 06:31 PM
GT Member

I have a 07 vert and I love it. [I have a garage, and it is not a daily driver.]

When I read your thread, I was prepared to list my 1,000 reasons why you should get the vert. However, after reading that you do not have a garage - go with the coupe. I think that is the right answer.

If you had a garage - there's no discussion. It's vert all the way.
Old 11/12/06, 07:36 PM

I'm on the fence on the convertible issue mostly because I also want the GT and I'm not sure I can afford both. I am renting a convertible this winter for a trip to Key West. I'm sure it will be a V6 so I will get an idea how I like this combo.

Has anyone ever reserved a Mustang convertible only to show up and be stuck with a Sebring? I'll have my fingers crossed until the rental bus pulls up at my Mustang.
Old 11/12/06, 10:47 PM
V6 Member

You're in a tough spot. I think if you get the V6 you will always want the GT. If I was to choose between a V6 vert and a GT coupe.....I would get the coupe. And that says alot cause I LOVE verts!
If you get the V6 you'll end up spending a ton of cash trying to make it faster.
If you don't want to fall in love with the GT.....DON'T TEST DRIVE ONE!
Old 11/12/06, 11:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$5055

Seriously, the difference between a Vert and a coupe is worth 5 Grand?
But only on Nice days.

The Top is best when it's in the Storage Mood.
Old 11/13/06, 02:16 PM
Cobra Member

I have a vert and love it, love it, love it! It really depends on what kind of person you are though. Top-down drivers are a little bit more out there and extroverted, they love the looks and attention. If you don't like being stared at, then you might want to skip getting a Mustang vert

Vinyl versus cloth, my 05 had a vinyl top and the 07 has cloth. The cloth looks much more luxurious and is much quieter on the road. It is also a lot easier to put the top back up, with the vinyl top you usually have to pull the frame down to latch it while the cloth top settles right down onto the rail.
Old 11/14/06, 05:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
I have a vert and love it, love it, love it! It really depends on what kind of person you are though. Top-down drivers are a little bit more out there and extroverted, they love the looks and attention. If you don't like being stared at, then you might want to skip getting a Mustang vert

Vinyl versus cloth, my 05 had a vinyl top and the 07 has cloth. The cloth looks much more luxurious and is much quieter on the road. It is also a lot easier to put the top back up, with the vinyl top you usually have to pull the frame down to latch it while the cloth top settles right down onto the rail.
+1....I can't tell you how many "nice car" comments I get with the stang, especially with Torch Red. We had a fabulous 65 degree sunny weekend last week and two sets of people commented on how great the car looked. If you can swing it, forget the money and just buy the vert! You won't be sorry you did. If you don't, you'll regret it the first sunny spring day that you see one cruise by with the top down. This happened to me with my last THREE mustangs and I swore I wouldn't let it ever happen again. Of course I have to end it with "You only live once!"
Old 12/21/06, 02:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

I put a deposit on a 2006 Vista Blue Mustang GT Convertible Loaded Manual with white stripes.
Old 12/21/06, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by The Reverend
I put a deposit on a 2006 Vista Blue Mustang GT Loaded Manual with white stripes.

Coupe or Vert? I assume you got the coupe. Either way you will be happy. Enjoy.
Old 12/21/06, 05:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Three elements that make a car a classic

Convertable, Convertable, Convertable. $5000 more vs a coupe will be well worth it. The convertable will almost always be worth more at resale. In 20 years when people start collecting the Verts will be worth double.

If we ever live long enough to see an 05 at Barrett Jackson then the Verts will be worth 5 times more.

Plus they are a lot of fun. IMHO
Old 12/21/06, 06:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In a few years you will have a 3rd choice---Power Retractible Hardtop!!
I predict in 5 years almost every manufacturer will offer a PRHT. Go to the Mazda website and look at how the MX5 PRHT mechanism works (the entire top folds behind the seat). When other manufacturers see that you can have a PRHT without losing trunck space and start copying it you will see PRHT's eveywhere!!

The only thing keeping me from getting a Mustang Convertable is the lack of ROLLOVER PROTECTION!! They don't even offer any extra protection in the windshield frame. I have seen a few Stang roll over's and one that ended on its top and the car had to be lifted off the victim, the windshield frame was mased flat!
Old 3/28/07, 10:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

3 month update on my convertible purchase. Total enjoyment, no loss in excitement.

1. I drive with the top down every opportunity I get. The high temperatures have varied from 50s-80s this winter in NC. I drive with the top down at night also. The sun doesn't have to be out to enjoy the convertible experience.

2. Cleaning the convertible is easier than a coupe would be. Why? Well, cleaning the interior with the top down is far easier than with a metal roof in the way. I clean the top monthly with Raggtopp. It is easier to clean than waxing a painted metal roof.

3. Attention. This car gets it like no other vehicle in my area. People wave and honk and stare like nothing else. I am very friendly and always wave. Just last week while passing a basketball court, the kids stopped playing and screamed Nice Mustang, Dude.

Quick Reply: Is the convertible top in cloth worth an extra $5055