39.53%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Is the convertible top in cloth worth an extra $5055

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/06, 04:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the convertible top in cloth worth an extra $5055

Is the convertible top in cloth worth an extra $5055? I have gone back and forth on the decision to get a Coupe or the Vert. With the x-plan pin, its gonna cost me an extra $4543, is it worth it?

Convertible owners especially, I want to hear from you.

1. People tell me you only get the chance to own a convertible one in a lifetime, so do it they say.

2. With my occupation, I can participate in parades and such.

3. Other friends have convertibles also, but nothing really sporty.

4. I will race it at monthly SCCA parking lot autocrosses and twice yearly racing at VIR roadcourse.

5. I will drive it to work rarely, assigned space, interstate most of the way, maybe 4 times a month.

6. It will be driven mostly for fun, the occasional errand, and part of networking with new people.

7. I do not have a garage for it to be stored in.

8. My current vehicles get the care they need with regular Zaino and interior treatments, it wouldn't change with the Mustang.

9. The mod bug will hit and I will want aftermarket intake, exhaust, suspension, and tuning. I am not much on non-performance mods like interior pieces.

10. Finally, what is the convertible life like? I am 35 and going thru the mid-life crisis thing. I met one Mustang convertible owner at the dealership. She never puts the top up and stores it in the garage. She had only 4k miles after 12 months.
Old 11/8/06, 04:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

yes.

If it's an option at all, find a garage or storage unit where you can keep it, I don't think the cloth top hold up all that well being outside 24/7. The vinyl top may be a better option for you.
Old 11/8/06, 04:40 PM

Just my two cents. I have a 2007 vert GT with cloth top. I love it. I have had the car for about eight weeks and have 3500 miles on it. The cloth has been easy to take care of I just rinse it off and then dry with a gas powered blower. After that I bought a lint roller and use that. As far as it being a convertible, there is nothing better than putting the top down and driving the he?? out of it. I also got the heated seats which makes it nice to take it out at night when the moon and stars are out and its cool outside. OF COURSE WITH MY WIFE. (she is watching me type this)

Hope that helps.
Old 11/8/06, 04:57 PM
Bullitt Member

I will never be without a vert again. I think the cloth looks a little better than the vinyl, but I expect the vinyl will have a longer life. When it is time to replace the top, I will go with cloth if I can swap.

You should take into consideration what you plan on using the car for also. If you are big into drag or road racing, this is a no brainer ... get the coupe. If you want it for nice family rides and whatnot, having the option of dropping the top is priceless.
Old 11/8/06, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I've had three V-8 mustang hard tops, and this fourth one is a vert. I always wanted a vert and these are great convertibles, I'm not at all sorry that I bought it.

I had intended to drive it daily but after almost 3 months and 5,000 great summer miles, I decided I didn't want the cloth top sitting outside at work during winter storms. As for the top material, I'm happy with the look of the cloth - definitely more upscale than the vinyl - but mine is developing some lighter markings in middle of the top above the door glass. It looks like the imprint of part of the folding mechanism, probably caused by rubbing when the top is down. My kids love the vert too, but they also like the truck I bought so I could garage the vert during the winter.

I've been using the truck as my primary lately and have been taking the Mustang about once a week on nice days.

The coupes definitely look better, but there's nothing that can compare with a top down drive in summer.
Old 11/8/06, 07:11 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am in the minority cuz I think the vinyl looks better than the cloth.The shape of the cloth looks funny to me..The vinyl is much easier to keep clean and doesn't soak in water like I heard the cloth does.
Old 11/8/06, 07:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A buddy of mine just took delivery of a redfire GT with cloth top. The car is beautiful and if I were doing a vert, I'd go cloth. Just my opinion.
Old 11/8/06, 07:24 PM
Number Cruncher

I've got the vinyl top. It looks great, and it's easy to care for.
As far as the coupe versus 'vert debate, I was adamant that only a coupe would do. My wife talked me into the 'vert.
Best decision "we" ever made.
To me, top down driving is as close as you can come to the freedom of being on a motorcycle.
Old 11/8/06, 08:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
If you're on the fence on getting a convertible, then DON'T get one.

It's kinda like deciding between vinyl stripes or having them painted.
Old 11/8/06, 08:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
If you're on the fence on getting a convertible, then DON'T get one.

It's kinda like deciding between vinyl stripes or having them painted.
If you are on the fence, I would strongly recommend renting a vert on a nice sunny day and going for a ride. Either way you go, make sure it is what you want and never look back.

And on the stripes issue ( I realize you were not asking about them, but since it came up ), If you know you want em, get em painted. As soon as mine start going bad, mine will be in paint.
Old 11/8/06, 08:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MY05GT
If you are on the fence, I would strongly recommend renting a vert on a nice sunny day and going for a ride...
...and a rainy day, extremely hot day, cold day, etc, especially if it's going to be a daily.
Old 11/8/06, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
...and a rainy day, extremely hot day, cold day, etc, especially if it's going to be a daily.
On all of the other days, we put the top up and its not a problem. I suggested the sunny day because those are the days you are paying the extra money for
Old 11/8/06, 08:37 PM
V6 Member

Go Vert! No doubt about it. The Mustang is not much heavier than the Coupe. Buy a NOAH car cover...they are custom fit and easy to go on and off. I've always owned a car cover, I cover my Vert at work everyday(takes 30 sec to cover it). I can't imagine NOT covering my car (vert or not) and letting it bake for hour/days in the sun.
Always use "Raggtopp" cleaner/protectant on the top...it's the only product endorsed my convertible top manufacturers. The Raggtopp stuff actually prevents dirt/water from getting into the top.
0-60 the Vert actually beats the Coupe.
Old 11/8/06, 09:09 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GTblackvert
0-60 the Vert actually beats the Coupe.
Yeah get a vert, there faster than the coupe ........J/k
Old 11/8/06, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2005sonicgt
Yeah get a vert, there faster than the coupe ........J/k
At least the sonic ones are
Old 11/8/06, 09:45 PM
Bullitt Member

This is my 3rd vert (previous were '68 Vette Roadster, '93 40th Anniversary Vette Roadster). My '07 is by far the most solid and shake free. I've had cars with moonroofs, T-Tops, Targa Tops. Nothing compares to the totally open air feeling. I drive mine every sunny day during the summer and the top is always down. If it's a really hot day, the top is still down and the A/C is blowing cool air in my face.

If you have the money and won't be overextending yourself $ wise, just remember that yes, the Vert is $5K more, but if and when you go to sell it, it will be worth more than the hardtop.

In the hardtop's defense, you gotta love its lines and the way it looks with stripes...just look at TacoBill's.
Old 11/8/06, 09:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
this is my first vert , won't go to a hard top again. First few weeks had the top down every day ( unless rain). Now disappointed, I get off work too late, its dark, and it rained all last weekend, don't get to have the top down hardly at all. Mine is vinyl, but it has a liner, keeps the outside noise down and temperature friendly. Only draw back, they do not have coat hangers in them.
Old 11/8/06, 09:52 PM
V6 Member

The Vert IS actually faster 0-60 (softer suspension makes it hook up better). Search the web...it shows the Vert .1 sec faster than the coupe. Normally verts are slower cause of the excess weight. The Mustang vert is only about 160 lbs heavier than the coupe. The better launch accounts for the better 0-60 times. Just my 2 cents
Old 11/9/06, 07:46 AM

Just think of all the great past mustang years the Convertalbes are always the ones that are most desireable, you can easily get you hands on a 65 or 66 hard top, but try to get a 65 or 66 convertable GT.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Mustang Sally.pdf (277.9 KB, 176 views)
Old 11/9/06, 08:02 AM
Bullitt Member

The vert will require a roll bar be installed before you can put it on the track. Make sure where you park it is VERY secure and you can never leave anything inside, it just takes a pocket knife to steal the 75cents in quarters you left in the console. Cost of the top is your problem. I've owned verts but would never consider one for a daily or if I did not have a garage to keep it in. Like others have said, if you are on the fence, forget it. If you REALLY want it, it is a comitment in care and upkeep.

Quick Reply: Is the convertible top in cloth worth an extra $5055