2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Convertible specific issues

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/05, 09:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Mark05GTCon@April 27, 2005, 6:52 PM
When I have the top down and pull to a red light, I hear a strang noise.

When I look around and track down the noise, it is a guy leaning out of his truck hollering "hey man! hey man! nice ride! nice ride! niiiiiiice ride!"
Dude, I've had the same problem. Yesterday a lady kept waving at me and then held up her thumb. I couldn't see a booger on it so I just waved.

What's going on? :spin:
Old 5/27/05, 10:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Tres Wright@May 25, 2005, 1:41 PM
==and after parking for a few hours with the back window toward the sun, a large section of the top separated from the window. ==

Oh great, so heat seems to be the trigger. Well mine hasn't seen much heat since I got it, so I may have to face this yet. I can only think of one time it was parked in the sun for a sustained period, and it wasn't one of those super-hot Texas days like we will have very soon. I think I may be in the same boat since my car was made at the same time. I'll be keeping a CLOSE eye on it!
Are these all on the black tops with would get a lot hotter than the tan ones? I live in the desert and we've already had 10 days over 100 and the top is sound.

Has Ford issued any tsb's for this?
Old 6/2/05, 02:35 PM

Well so much for "Emergency Order", its been a week, still no parts and she hasn't returned my call today. Its been raining all week so I haven't driven it once, very dissappointed.

So is this really just a March built vert issue? Mine was built in the third week.
Old 6/2/05, 03:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Since you know you are getting a new cover, can't you make temporary repairs to the one you've got with silicone??? I mean, it's not like you're going to be stuck with it, but at least you can drive it!

Originally posted by ddanimal@June 2, 2005, 3:38 PM
Well so much for "Emergency Order", its been a week, still no parts and she hasn't returned my call today. Its been raining all week so I haven't driven it once, very dissappointed.

So is this really just a March built vert issue? Mine was built in the third week.
Old 6/2/05, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by ddanimal@June 2, 2005, 2:38 PM

I was told at the end of last week that my top had been built and was sent to a shipper for packing. That in itself would take some time to pack, ship via UPS, etc. I'm still waiting.....
Old 6/5/05, 07:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Found out something new with the top down. Your hat won't stay on after 90mph. Tested it several times today. Everytime I hit 90mph my hat would start to go.
Old 6/5/05, 07:55 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by GOFISCH@June 5, 2005, 7:15 PM
Found out something new with the top down. Your hat won't stay on after 90mph. Tested it several times today. Everytime I hit 90mph my hat would start to go.
Yep....two friends have lost hats on the highway already.
Old 6/6/05, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by 2k5conv@June 3, 2005, 12:09 AM
I was told at the end of last week that my top had been built and was sent to a shipper for packing. That in itself would take some time to pack, ship via UPS, etc. I'm still waiting.....
So maybe high priority ordering did help. My top took a week from order to delivery, got here last Friday. Of course I dropped the car off today and they called to say it won't be done until Thursday because the off-site contractor can't get to it until then. I'm glad I'm not missing any good vert weather, the rain is never ending right now. Lets see who gets their car fixed first.

I did think about gluing the window myself in the mean time. I probably would have done it if the new top wasn't here by last weekend.
Old 6/6/05, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by ddanimal@June 6, 2005, 1:22 PM
So maybe high priority ordering did help. My top took a week from order to delivery, got here last Friday. Of course I dropped the car off today and they called to say it won't be done until Thursday because the off-site contractor can't get to it until then. I'm glad I'm not missing any good vert weather, the rain is never ending right now. Lets see who gets their car fixed first.

I did think about gluing the window myself in the mean time. I probably would have done it if the new top wasn't here by last weekend.
I couldn't imagine what would happened if it rained out here. My top has separated along the entire top and both sides. It's a bit scaring watching the window vibrate in and out at freeway speeds. I'm glad you got your new top. I'm a bit annoyed that my dealer didn't do an "emergency order" for me too. It must be over a month now. Oh well...it certainly doesn't matter when the top's down!
Old 6/12/05, 06:11 PM

Top is all new and the glue is holding so far. Of course now the auto-up feature doesn't work on the passenger window?!? They said they would fix that next time I'm in for service. They obviously had to disconect the battery, all my settings were reset, I just hope they didn't mess anything else up I haven't found yet.

I was happy to get her back and the sun finally came out today.
Old 6/12/05, 07:45 PM

No problems with the rear window pulling away... Mine was built Early April... I did notice that when I put the top down, the fabric sort of "catches" behind the head rest on the driver side 'cause it's so tight? If I help it past that tight point, it goes all the way down - Just like it should...
Old 6/13/05, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by ddanimal@June 12, 2005, 6:14 PM
Top is all new and the glue is holding so far. Of course now the auto-up feature doesn't work on the passenger window?!? They said they would fix that next time I'm in for service. They obviously had to disconect the battery, all my settings were reset, I just hope they didn't mess anything else up I haven't found yet.

Very interesting. I'll be on the lookout for the window problem. My top arrived last Thursday and I took the car to the dealer today for replacement. It gets shipped out to an upholsterer so it won't be back until tomorrow.

Pardon my ignorance but all they really replaced was the top and not frame work and top? Is that correct?
Old 6/15/05, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by ddanimal@June 12, 2005, 6:14 PM

Well I've got my new top! It took three days. Apparently the upholsterer had some difficulty fitting the new top since it was either tight or stiff. They apparently never disconnected my battery since all settings are the same. Of course a bird cristened the top on the way home...oh well.
Old 6/16/05, 03:57 PM
Bullitt Member

so is this the only issue for a scatterd few---excellent
Old 6/19/05, 07:35 PM
JLD

Originally posted by 2k5conv@May 24, 2005, 7:13 PM
Well it's been three weeks now and the dealer doesn't know when the new top will arrive. It's on "back order", but Ford cannot give them a delivery date. I hope this isn't a more common problem.
I had to have my driver Rear window replaced wasnt closing properly now I hear a wind noise in myear Not Sealing any other window issues out there
Old 6/19/05, 08:28 PM

Check out the strange markings on my 2 week old convertible top..... I just created another forum with a few pictures.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=27417

Mike
Old 6/24/05, 09:58 PM
Bullitt Member

My sis-in-law had her top replaced last week.................She had to take it back yesterday, now it won't close and seal.
Old 6/25/05, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by wifewantedaGT@June 24, 2005, 10:01 PM
My sis-in-law had her top replaced last week.................She had to take it back yesterday, now it won't close and seal.
I noticed mine was a bit "goofy" after the replacement, in that it would close a bit unevenly until it got to the end. One corner would be ahead of the other. That seems to be clearing up.

I'm noticing with the convertible top that time and operation tends to clear up issues. It's a bit inconsistent and sometimes doesn't open all the way and seat down in the pocket, and needs to be pushed in the extra inch or so, and other times it does just fine. I'm probably just nitpicking.
Old 8/22/05, 07:18 AM
GT Member

I am reviving this thread.

I got my Vert last thursday and nothing but fun!!

3 Questions:

1. The drivers window and rear window (driver side), where they meet with that rubber seal squeaks/vibrate like crazy over any surface other than smooth. Passenger does not have that issue. Wondering if others have it.

2. With top up, there is a crossbar of sort that is right above the head of the driver. Anyway, the fabric does not tuck behind it. Not sure if it is supposed to or not. I tried pulling it in but did not want to ruin it.

3. When you use the seat lever on the back of the seat (drivers or passenger) to access the back seats it does not remember where it once was. That is real annoying since you have to adjust the seat each time. The same is true when sitting in the seat and try to adjust the seat back, nothing happens with the lever unless you use lever and pull seat back at same time.

Otherwise the car is so sweet!
Old 8/22/05, 09:40 AM

My top has already been replaced due to the back window coming undone. to make things worse when they put on the new top they scratched the car, and had to repaint a section.

they also left my car out in the rain with back window totally open.
I made a surprise stop into the dealership and saw my car outside after a rainstorm and a puddle of water behind the backseat.

then last week I pulled out the backseat and there was still a puddle of water under the back seat so at least I found that before it caused major damage

Quick Reply: Convertible specific issues