2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Convertible question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 11/23/04, 11:18 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by bee bop@November 23, 2004, 12:12 PM
The verts will begin production around Feb. On the Dealer lots around May. The only real rollover protection would be a roll bar that is certified by the NHRA. I have a light bar on my 02 while they state that it is not for roll over protection I think it would help a little at least. As far as the tops go mine has held up pretty good so far considering it is exposed to the elements 24/7. Besides wanting to mildew with all this blasted rain, I only have a couple of problems right at the points where the sides are attached to the frame the vinyl has pealed off in a little spot on each side and I have a scratch above the drivers door.
I think you will see them sooner than May, unless there is a quality hold I will expect to see them on the road in March or April.
Old 11/23/04, 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine said I should expect to see mine mid-march, beginning of april at the latest

that is IF everything goes on schedule
Old 11/23/04, 10:21 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by EleanorsMine@November 23, 2004, 6:21 AM
Those of you who own convertibles..............I really really really want one!
You have good taste! I love 'em.

...for heavy standing rain- does it roll off or collect?
Rain runs off fine. It generally isn't channeled as well as a hardtop, so it may run off onto the side windows more. Not really noticeable unless you're trying to pick something up at a drive-thru in the rain, and then only a minor annoyance.

Does the roof hold up well? Maintenance- what do you have to do to keep it looking new? Top will be black.
A black vinyl top should be pretty easy to keep looking clean. The vinyl protectants others have mentioned would help keep the top from fading.

Don't leave the top folded for long periods of time to avoid creases that will eventually wear through--basically just means put the top up if you're going to park it for a while.

Racing stripes- look cool or :gay: with a vert?
No different from a coupe...it depends on the color and the car. I think the 40th anniversary Mustang looked pretty good.

Spoiler- delete or keep?
On the '05 vert I'd say delete--I think it spoils the lines pretty badly. But I'm not really a fan of the spoiler on the coupe either, so take that into account and use your own judgment.

Anti theft- Someone won't slash the top to get my stuff right?
I've never had anyone cut my softtops. My brother in South Florida did, though. Not to steal anything, either, just pure vandalism.

Safety- are they safe? Rollovers- in the unlikely event- is there something to keep you from well......splitting your head open like a melon?
I've never had an accident in mine. I'd guess they're about the same as the coupe in non-rollovers.

Convertibles are less likely to roll over than other cars because they tend to have a very low center of gravity. If they do roll over, though, there is less protection. Only a serious rollbar would really help. Ford may also have reinforced the windshield frame; that may help protect front seat occupants, but I doubt it amounts to much. The real protection is that you're pretty unlikely to roll over; you need to decide what risks are worthwhile to you.

They may be stupid inquiries but I am genuinely curious.......
Not stupid at all, they're very good questions.