2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Convertible cabin temperatures and rear glass

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/07, 10:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convertible cabin temperatures and rear glass

Just curious, do you notice a major difference in temperature when you have a convertible compared to a coupe?

Also, is the glass in the rear window real glass or plastic? Does it get scratched or fog up any easier?

I have never owned one before. I rode in one in San Diego, but the weather there is almost perfect, so it doesn't really stretch any conditions on the car.
Old 3/6/07, 10:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by chorpeac
Just curious, do you notice a major difference in temperature when you have a convertible compared to a coupe?

Also, is the glass in the rear window real glass or plastic? Does it get scratched or fog up any easier?

I have never owned one before. I rode in one in San Diego, but the weather there is almost perfect, so it doesn't really stretch any conditions on the car.
The rear window is glass. I don't know of the difference in temperature, but the top is pretty well insulated. Running the A/C cools the car down just fine. Also, if it's very hot inside just lower the top!
Old 3/6/07, 10:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Having owned several convertibles (my current Mustang not being one of them) I can tell you that the major factor in interior temp will be the color of the top. My gut feeling is that a vert with a black top will get almost as hot as a black coupe, but the large fastback glass on the coupe would probably account for some additional heat in full sun.
Old 3/6/07, 11:38 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
My wife's is fine. If anything, it's cooler than the coupe compared to a similar time frame exposure to the sun.
Old 3/6/07, 11:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

A black top might not be so bad where you live but, it's sometimes to hot to drive out West here. There is a noticible difference between my Vert and say a white truck cab. The vert struggles a while to get the temp cooled off but again. It might be different where you live.
Old 3/6/07, 12:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by awakeinAZ
A black top might not be so bad where you live but, it's sometimes to hot to drive out West here. There is a noticible difference between my Vert and say a white truck cab. The vert struggles a while to get the temp cooled off but again. It might be different where you live.
But it's a dry heat.

Last August and September my wife and I were doing the old wandering through the dealer lot thing and made several observations. In the hot sun, the cloth top was only slightly warm to the touch while the vinyl top was too hot to keep our hands on for more than a second or two. The rear glass in the vert. and the hardtop are almost exactly the same width. This gives the vert owner the same side to side rear visibility as the hardtop owner. Though the total area of the vert. rear window is approx 1/4 the total area of the hardtop, visibility is quite good vertically and you are only losing the ability to look up out the rear window. In both cars I could see the back lip of the rear trunk lid under the spoiler. I don't see any real heat gain from a vert rear window as compared to a hardtop since the angle on the vert is steeper and the glass is substancially smaller.

We decided on the vert and recieved ours in January. Since then the temps have only managed to creep up into the low 80's a couple of times but I haven't seen any great temperature increases in the closed up vehicle. the only time I did notice it being warm was when it was parked in a south facing orientation. I'm going to try a sun shield to see if that will reduce the heat buildup when parked facing south.

From the rocket ranch

BB

Semper Fi
Old 3/6/07, 02:17 PM
GT Member

This is my first convertible and I love it. No problem with heat or cold. Today it is 14 F outside. The GT engine warms up pretty fast. An advantage over the 6 perhaps?
Cools off fast in the summer.
Old 3/6/07, 02:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Surprisingly, the V-6 comes up to temperature really quick as well...much faster than my 2003 GT. When using the heat the amount of air going to the floorboards of the S-197's I've driven doesn't seem to be as great as that of the SN-95 - not really a big deal though., I've had no trouble keeping the inside of my convertible comfy (except the time I had the top down and it was over 100 degrees. (Hey I couldn't help it, I just got the thing and I was having too much fun to keep the top up!!)
Old 3/6/07, 03:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the black cloth top and have no issues with the temperature inside. I have driven it when it was 20 degrees outside, to when it was over 100 degrees, and it always warms up and cools down fast. Oh, and the back glass has electric defog, so no issues there either.
Old 3/6/07, 08:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Buster
I have the black cloth top and have no issues with the temperature inside. I have driven it when it was 20 degrees outside, to when it was over 100 degrees, and it always warms up and cools down fast. Oh, and the back glass has electric defog, so no issues there either.
+1....
I haven't been down to the 20's yet, the lowest it's been is about 34 but just like Mustang Buster said it warms and cools fast with no problem. I do have the black vinyl top so it's probably the worst combo as far as heat is concerned. I keep thermometers in everything I drive and in my other car (hardtop)and my truck both it can easily reach 130 closed up on a hot day and you get in and the steering wheel is to hot to touch. I have not had that happen yet in the vert.
Old 3/6/07, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

My '96 'vert had a white top and now my '05 'vert has a black vinyl top. I've had both these cars through 114 degree summers and 0 degree winters, snow, ice, rain, you name it, we get it here in the eastern Washington desert. Both cars did just fine.

As for the black vinyl top in the summer, it's no biggie. The AC is strong enough to cool it down quick. But, I always use sun shades.

The '05 'vert compares well to our family car which is a white sedan. Very little difference in terms of coming up to temp or getting down to temp. At the extremes, it takes both cars about 5-10 min to get to 70-72 degrees.
Old 3/7/07, 03:00 AM
Cobra R Member

I've always had luck with fords my taurus takes like 2-3 mins to get up to being somewhat comfy 50-55 on a day like today and it was like 4 degrees when I got outta class last night (not including wind chill). The stang wasnt out since like november when it was around 60 so i dont know bout warmin up but its ac is crazy
Old 3/7/07, 05:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
I have the black vinyl top. No problems with heat or AC keeping me comfortable at all.

Of course, if the AC is on, the top is almost always down, unless it's raining!
Old 3/7/07, 08:19 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Comparing my Mustang to my Triumph TR7 the Mustang is a dream. The TR7 only had the vinyl top with exposed roof rails. The insolated top is nice even being black does not seem to matter much. Like any Floridian you always look for shade in the summer. However, I think having a convertible is an advantage. Since it’s not sealed tight it tends to vent as the heat of the day elevate. I have to say the AC works well, as does the heat. North Florida has seen only a few days in the teens but easily handled. One note, my car is always garage parked at the house and the office so I rarely get the extremes like those who have to park outside...
Old 3/8/07, 08:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate the time and responses.