2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Consumer Reports Eval

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/05, 08:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the quote for a summarization from consumer reports.

Page 14 - A full test of the New Ford Mustang

Acknowledged as an icon among American sports cars, the redesigned 2005 Mustang has generated a lot of buzz among the media and enthusiasts. Consumer Reports tests show that this Mustang is a major upgrade over the previous model in terms of style, comfort, and performance and it scored higher overall in CR's tests than the Pontiac GTO, its most direct competitor. But CR auto experts note that the Mustang lacks the finesse of the best sports cars in this price range, including the Subaru Impreza WRX STi and the Mazda RX-8.

I think they were smoking birdseed when they wrote this. Here is the link:

Consumer Report Summary
Old 3/4/05, 08:59 PM
Bullitt Member

300 horses of Detroit Iron (okay Aluminum) in a rwd muscle car platform that turns 5 second runs to 60mph and 13's in the quarter, not to mention some the best looks this side of a 67 fastback, Japanese build quality, and a performance per dollar ratio that would make Corvette owners think twice, yet these chodes want to dock us points for lack of FINESSE! That's it, I'm taking mine back.... :bang:

Get a rope. :angry:
Old 3/4/05, 09:05 PM
Bullitt Member

The Mustang has never been about FINESSE Consumer Reports!!!!
My god, it's a muscle car! Geez, I respect this magazine, but rate it as the type of vehicle it is dudes.
Old 3/4/05, 09:09 PM
CME
GT Member

Hey if they prefer to drive one of those over the Mustang, let them. As for me I'd rather let them see my taillights (at least when mine gets here).
Old 3/4/05, 09:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The Mustang has never been about FINESSE Consumer Reports!!!!
My god, it's a muscle car! Geez, I respect this magazine, but rate it as the type of vehicle it is dudes.
i second that
Old 3/4/05, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Even my 210hp V6 doesn't feel like a ballet dancer. Naturally a smaller car would have more finesse. That makes it easier for them to move over & let the big dog...err I mean horse eat.
Old 3/4/05, 09:15 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Consumer Reports Car Recommendation:

Everyone should drive a Honda Accord. Honda Accords are great. Everyone here at Consumer Reports drives a Honda Accord, we'd get fired if we didn't. We love Honda Accords, everything else just stinks.

Byt the way, the Consumer Reports Best Buy Recommendation is the Honda Accord.
Old 3/4/05, 09:17 PM

Hey it's Consumer Reports -- where toasters and washing machines get the same consideration as cars and Hondas are the appliances of choice :crazy: I'm surprised the writer didn't breakout in a rash at the mere thought of having to drive a real car... ^_^

- Will
Old 3/4/05, 09:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

what's finesse mean

Any guy that has that in his vocabulary should turn in his man card now :nono:
Old 3/4/05, 09:41 PM
Cobra Member

Depends on what their definition of finesse is, do they mean build quality, nimbleness, the need to use special operation techniques to get it to function best?

That statement doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I think the Mustang was built and designed with the American brand buyer in mind. We don't get hidden cup holders, heated mirrors/seats, highly bolstered hard "racing" seats or the exotic, strange appearing exterior styling of the rx8 and wrx. If thats what they mean then I agree. Those two cars are also more purpose built than the Mustang which has a much broader appeal and really doesn't quite fit, in my mind, in with the rx8 and especially the wrx sti.

I'd say the closest thing on the market today that compares with the Mustang is the GTO. Which just the price alone sets it into another catagory of car buyer and narrows it's appeal.

The fact CS mentioned the Mustang at all in a favorable light is a real compliment and should be taken as such. No need to agonize over the "finesse" comment, which is really ambiguous in meaning.
Old 3/4/05, 09:58 PM
Bullitt Member

I take the term "finesse" as meaning fancy and quick. And I guess to be considered as having finesse, it has to look modern and, well, look like those other sports cars in their minds.
Note to Consumer Reports: This is a Retro Muscle car. Sounds to me like they had a difficult time finding something negative to say, but they felt they had to so this is what they came up with. I guess I'd agree with them, but I don't think it's a negative as they seem to think.
Old 3/4/05, 09:59 PM
FR500 Member

let these magazine morons babble on. hey these guys should read the april road and track. best 05 GT times soo far 0-60 in 4.9 seconds!! and the 1/4th mile in 13.5 seconds!! how awesome!! so when these guys learn their facts then they should put out reports and maybe we wont take them to consideration as idiots
Old 3/4/05, 10:00 PM
FR500 Member

I've never thought CR's opinions were worth the paper they printed them on and they have, again, proven themselves.
Old 3/4/05, 10:03 PM
GT Member

They don't know muscle cars. Look at the 0-60 times at 5.5 seconds. They can't drive. If they could they would be in the 5.1-4.9 sec range with the 5sp. CR s--ks.
Old 3/4/05, 10:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As was stated earlier, only knuckleheads read this magazine to figure out what cars to buy. The only manufacturer that CR really likes is Honda. For CR, if you're not driving a Honda, you've gone against their recommendation.

I give them the #1 knucklehead rating magazine award. I also don't pay a bit of attention to what they say. They are Ford haters plain and simple. Oh, and they don't say much good about any other car either...with the exception of course of the almighty Honda.

:notnice: :notnice: :notnice:
Old 3/4/05, 10:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

HEY CONSUMER REPORTS! FINESSE THIS!
Old 3/4/05, 10:26 PM
GT Member

So what if they think the STi has more finesse. Have any of you ever driven an STi at full speed through a corner? I was stunned on my first ride in one, it is absolutely unholy in the corners. But you don't buy Mustang's for corner carving anyway. So CR is not stupid, they are absolutely right. If they are wrong for anything, it is suggesting that the Mustang GT is a sports car in the first place.
Old 3/4/05, 10:42 PM
FR500 Member

u buy a mustang for fun and looks and that beautiful exhaust note. ive driven an STi. its not thrilling like the stang, its BUTT UGLY, and sounds like a lawnmower sooo these guys arent right. and a honda accord?? please dont get me started
Old 3/5/05, 06:31 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@March 4, 2005, 11:18 PM

Everyone should drive a Honda Accord. Honda Accords are great. Everyone here at Consumer Reports drives a Honda Accord, we'd get fired if we didn't. We love Honda Accords, everything else just stinks.

Old 3/5/05, 06:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mr-mstng+March 5, 2005, 7:34 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mr-mstng @ March 5, 2005, 7:34 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-05GT-O.C.D.@March 4, 2005, 11:18 PM

[/b][/quote]

O5GT-O.C.D. has got it right! Consumer Reports is, has been and always will be a HONDA Loving rag. Other than it being a good recycled material, it has its other purposes like picking up dog .

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Eval