2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Considering a new Mustang? A new owners perspective (long)

Search this Thread

Old 9/15/06, 07:43 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You took those words right out of my mouth. My first car was also a 70 mustang. It was a choice between a new F-150 and the GT, but I figured if I was going to get me a mustang it had to be now. I kept saying someday......but the true is soon it was going to be if only I had....47 year old kid with no regrets.
Old 9/15/06, 08:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Rich:

Great Post, I couldn't have said it better. My experience is strikingly similar.

I'm 42 my first car was a 1965 dark blue Mustang Coupe. I'm a lawyer my daughter was born when I was 25 so I had to sell the stang I promised myself I would get another one someday . My sons followed when I was 27 & 29 so we were always a 1 income family with all those loans. For 17 years we were a Honda/Minivan family. Finally the 2005 came out, with a daughter starting college the last thing in the world I needed was a $30,000 toy, but my bride said you never get anything for yourself this is what you always wanted, go get it and we'll figure out how to pay for it.

I know this sounds ridivculous but, This car has added years to my life, it is one of the best decisions I ever made, I have a bad case of perma grin. All the stress we deal with every day dissappears whenever I open the garage or get behind the wheel.

As far as a hobby I spend all week scanning the net for the next mod and all weekend washing and polishing. Its good to see that if I am insane I am not alone!!!!
Old 9/15/06, 01:37 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't normally read all of a long post, but Rich, I read yours twice.

"This is more than just a car to me. It's a hobby, a stress reliever, a constant work in progress, a reflection of who I am."
Not over the top at all. I'm 34, single, no kids and she's my daily driver and that's the perfect description for me also.

This thread should be forwarded to Ford. These stories would make a great marketing campaign. They really show how different we all are, but still have the same emotinal connection to our Mustangs.
Old 9/15/06, 04:07 PM
GT Member

Rich,
Is your experience lessened by having an auto over a stick? Still on the fence about this one after reading many posts on the subject.
Dave
Old 9/15/06, 04:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by davam1
Rich,
Is your experience lessened by having an auto over a stick? Still on the fence about this one after reading many posts on the subject.
Dave
Hard for me to say, since I never owned a stick, although I've driven them on occasion. I came VERY close to getting the manual, but it's my daily driver, and stop-and-go traffic can be a *****.

I can say that this is the smoothest shifting auto tranny I have ever driven. No regrets.
Old 9/17/06, 03:18 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by NDHESQ
Finally the 2005 came out, with a daughter starting college the last thing in the world I needed was a $30,000 toy, but my bride said you never get anything for yourself this is what you always wanted, go get it and we'll figure out how to pay for it.
She's a keeper...
Old 9/17/06, 09:22 PM

Rich, I can see your point perfectly. I too grew up in Philly (NE) and admired these cars as a youngster. It took me twenty years (after graduating from Drexel, raising a family, etc.) to just go out and buy one. I had my share of 4-dr econoboxes. So I got the V6 convertible (the GT was just too much $$ at the time in '05 when we bought). We live in Northern CA and if you had our weather this past weekend, you would want a convertible also. I had a few problems with the car, mainly related to it being a convertible, but Ford made good on it and fixed everything. If I had to I would buy it all over again.
Old 9/17/06, 09:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

NE Philly as well. What high school?
Old 9/17/06, 10:16 PM
Cobra Member

Very well written tribute to the Mustang, it's culture and driving experience! While I feel the same way and could probably go on forever, I'd like to expand on an area that very few automotive icons enjoy - the Mustang heritage!! It's an all American car, has millions of enthuisiasts world-wide, has something for everbody and excites you just looking at the car.....I mean, how often do people stop and admire an Accord, Camry, Malibu, etc. (which are very reliable and competent "transportation" vehicles) - but just can't match the driving satisfaction of a nice sounding V8 with a stick just running through the gears...I'm happy to sacrifice some fuel mileage and utility to have a car with so much heritage, fun, great people involved with it, aftermarket, etc. to drive. How often do you take the SUV/minivan/grocery getter for a drive just to drive? Do you find yourself going for a drive in your Mustang with no particular destination in mind - just for the fun of driving it? I do - more frequently than I should probably admit - especially when I've had a challenging day at work or other stress.

I encourage all the younger folks out there to read the rich and interesting history of the Mustang - from Lee Iococa and the instant success at the World Fair introduction (people sleeping in the cars to take delivery the next day), to the original Carol Shelby machines, the entire segment "Pony Car" that the Mustang spawned and the resulting competition (Camaro, Barracuda, Firebird, Javlin, etc.) the "lean" Mustang II years and the "rebirth of the Mustang V8 in the early 1980's and the continual hp and quality improvements all the way through the current world class chassis/model. Anybody remember the early Fox chassis Mustang turbo coupe for a small 4 cyl. engine - that was a fun car to drive! I rented a Shelby Hertz Mustang just last week and people flocked to the car at every stop I made - even taking pictures of it...and every one of them had a "Mustang story" from a Mustang they had owned or a parent had owned or their current ride.

I have owned many different cars, (including 5 Mustangs), over the years....and while the Mustangs have not been the most refined - something keeps bringing me back. I can afford more expensive cars - but eventually get bored with them as the driving experience/ownership experience of the Mustang just holds my interest better than any other car I've ever owned. The Mustang is not as refined as a BMW, Honda, etc. but it's not meant to be - it's always been a seat of the pants affordable driver's car and that's why you see people of every age from 18 - 65+ driving and enjoying the ownership experience of the Mustang. A couple of years ago I attended the Knott's Berry Farm "Fabulous Fords Forever" event and while there were many, many, interesting autos there - hands down the Mustang was the main draw. This car has probably (I'm guessing here) the largest following of any car in the world and I applaud Ford for their recent acknowledgement of such with the SE's they have been introducing and hope they keep'em coming. What a great time for Mustang fans!!

Anyway, enough rambling - but the Mustang is much more than a car - it's an experience!!

PS thanks mom for buying that first Mustang when I was a little tyke back in 1967 - a blue 289V8 coupe with the Pony interior, spoke hubcaps, alum dash panel and overhead console trim, turn signal indicators recessed in the hood - etc.....I've been a Mustang fan ever since
Old 9/18/06, 01:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well said! It seems we all have less free time than ever these days, and many of us have to put our hobbies aside for long periods of time as a result. Having a hobby you can drive everyday automatically creates some "me" time each time you drive it .
Old 9/18/06, 06:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Rash
I would HIGHLY suggest you budget for this, as it's addicting and VERY FUN. I've already spent at least $500 (custom tune, interior upgrades) with more coming (clear bra, blackout panel, chin spoiler). Better make sure you and your spouse allow each other some personal money in the budget. Buy Quicken or Microsoft Money to keep track and be fair to each other. If you can't afford the mods, then stay away from these forums!
Well said. We can all relate to that!
Old 9/18/06, 06:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

The responses to this post clearly showcase two things:

1) The great people that frequent these boards who are waiting to help with advice and knowledge.
2) Just how great it is to own a Mustang!

You guys have really added to the value of this thread for someone who may be considering a Mustang as well as other cars. I know if I was on the fence (which I was) and I found this thread, it would definitely influence my decision.

And personally, I appreciate all the kind words as well as everyone sharing their unique feelings about buying and owning this car. It's cool to know that I'm not the only moron out there that's so attached to my car!
Old 9/18/06, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rash

Kids - Actually better than I thought. I drove my 6 YO to summer camp every day, and it was no problem. And she LOVES the car (daddy, can we take the Mustang?) She's actually become quite the Mustang expert, often spotting them on the road and pointing them out to me before I notice them. The only pain is installing a car seat and actually getting the baby in it and strapped in. I wouldn't want to do that everyday, but as an occasional occurrence I'll put up with it as one of the costs of owning the car I really wanted.

My 4-year old daughter is exactly the same. Pointing out which ones have the same wheels, different wheels, vert or not. What shocked me is how she started identifying previous model year Mustangs. She's good.

Congrats on the car! Have a blast!
Old 9/18/06, 11:54 AM
GT Member

Great post. And as another respondent said, I see similarities in our experiences. I'll be 40 next year and I play guitar, among other items. This Mustang is my first new car and came about after a lot of research and thought. Though I've only had my car 4 days, I am very happy with my decision and I feel that this is a well-built car and heck of a bargain in terms of power/torque vs. money. My wife says I still haven't stopped smiling.

I wish you continued happiness with your car and that your children have fun growing into the Mustang community as they get older.
Old 9/18/06, 12:24 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by flieger67
My wife says I still haven't stopped smiling.
Back when the "new" '05's were coming in that's what we called a Perma-grin.
Old 9/21/06, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Radman
My 4-year old daughter is exactly the same....What shocked me is how she started identifying previous model year Mustangs. She's good.
That's funny - my daughter does the same thing. I have no idea how she knows that the '04 and previous are Mustangs - I never showed her that. It's in her blood!