2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Concerned about my aftermarket CAI and tune now

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/08, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concerned about my aftermarket CAI and tune now

I was happy and content with my CAI and tune until I read this in the Ford Racing Catalog:

Ford Racing Calibrations
The calibrations that Ford Racing provides for our cold-air and supercharger kits are done by Ford
engineers who, in many cases, worked on the actual production vehicles. No one is more familiar with
Ford engines and Ford control systems than Ford engineers. Extreme care is taken to provide as much
power and torque as can be safely delivered, but also to deliver high durability and exceptional drivability.
Most of our kits are also 50-State emissions legal and many are now even offered with a Ford Racing
limited warranty.

Here are a couple of aftermarket tuners practices that we do NOT recommend:
• Turning off the inferred catalyst, oxygen sensor and exhaust valve temperature protection logic
discussed in the previous section. This prevents the PCM from richening the A/F ratio to protect
these components which can result in more power under certain conditions. The downside is
drastically decreased durability of these expensive components. Ford Racing does not compromise
durability by turning off this calibration logic.
• They often advance spark timing to potentially unsafe levels. We test our calibrations in a wind tunnel
and in hot dry weather to verify that potentially damaging spark knock or catastrophic pre-ignition does
not occur. We also do cold weather and altitude testing as well as extensive emissions and durability
testing on several vehicles before we release a calibration to the customer. Some companies do not
realize that they need to perform this type of testing in the first place!
Automatic transmission calibration is an area that Ford Racing sets itself apart from other “tuners”. We
generally make extensive calibration changes to not only improve shift quality and give the transmission a
more performance oriented feel, but take great care to ensure that durability is not compromised to levels
we feel would be unacceptable to a customer. In development we monitor things like clutch slip times,
slip energies, band temperatures and other variables to make calibration changes as appropriate so that
the customer can be sure of a quality product that will continue to deliver improved performance in the
long term. As mentioned before, these changes are performed by the same engineers who designed and
developed the vehicles in the first place, and who are more familiar than anyone with their performance
and durability envelopes.
Some aftermarket tuners develop their calibrations exclusively on a chassis dyno and go straight to
the end customer. While dyno work is a critical part of the development process, it is only one piece
of a complex puzzle. Calibrating for wide open throttle (WOT) is generally simple, but the bulk of the
calibration effort is getting the part (and closed) throttle drivability correct. Our calibrations are developed
not only on the dyno, but also on the street for production (or better) quality drivability, and across many
vehicles to allow for manufacturing tolerances. Varied driving conditions, constant data monitoring, and
long-term testing ensure consistent drivability.
In recent years, cars and trucks have shifted toward electronic throttle control (ETC) or “drive-by-wire”
systems for packaging, cost and enhanced calibration functions. Ford Racing calibrations for ETC
vehicles take advantage of some of the increased functionality offered by these systems by changing the
relationship between the pedal and the throttle for improved “performance feel”. This allows us to provide
substantial improvements in “performance feel” even on the kits where the peak horsepower increase
might be considered modest by some. The peak power numbers do not always tell the whole story.
Why some companies claim to make more power:
Some claims are due to poor and misleading dynamometer test practices. Others are genuine but at the
expense of engine, catalyst or drivetrain durability.
Hopefully this article gives you the tools necessary to determine what is real dyno horsepower,
manipulated false horsepower and temporary horsepower waiting to cause a failure. We are confident
that as a potential customer you will agree that no one knows your car or truck better than the Ford
engineers who designed it in the first place. Our kits offer the best blend of performance, durability and
drivability that exists on the market today.

So what do the knowledgable people here think about that? Is Ford making it sound worse than it actually is so that more people will buy their product? I don't know anything about aftermarket tunes, but this has me a little nervous now.
Old 1/19/08, 05:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just another tuner making claims that their product is superior to the others. I see nothing here to be concerned about, especially if you had a Dyno tune.

Tim
Old 1/19/08, 06:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I understand this correctly you got this from Ford. Ford is simply covering their a$$es. There are screwball tuners out there that don't know what they are doing, but if you got your tune from a tuner with a good reputation, such as the tunners/vendors on this site you have nothing to worry about.
Old 1/19/08, 06:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ford has very conservative tunes for everything that they sell and they don't perform as well as some of the tunes that we run.
Old 1/19/08, 08:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
Ford has very conservative tunes for everything that they sell and they don't perform as well as some of the tunes that we run.
DAWT. I gained another 27rwhp by switching from the crap frpp tune which had my a/f at 11.7 to tweeqing a brenspeed tune on the dyno.
Old 1/19/08, 11:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford is just trying to protect there asses. I wouldn't worry about the crap they put out.
Old 1/21/08, 12:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for your input guys I feel better about it now.
On another note, where the heck did my other post go??