2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Color Help

Search this Thread

Old 9/30/05, 08:10 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, time to make that big decision on which color to chose tomorrow. I've narrowed it down to three or four. Black is probably my first choice. After all it was the color of my first Mustang GT back in 1995. However, I'm also fond of Vista Blue, Torch Red and Yellow. My son is 3 and is always hitting me up for yellow, if I don't get yellow may have a very unhappy camper in the house. I guess another thing is I've never had a yellow mustang before. I've had one of the each of the other colors before. Any advice on how to decide? Any opinions on pros and cons of yellow?
Old 9/30/05, 08:29 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Black. Every part matches. Second choice: Vista Blue. It looks great specially at night.
Old 9/30/05, 08:29 PM
GT Member

I liked the Yellow too.

But kept looking at pictures of yellow and refire and determined that I liked the Redfire best.

My main resons for not going with yellow was:

1. Yellow is so bright in the sun that much of the style lines get blurred out. And at a good distance you almost can't tell it's a Mustang.
2. Yellow is a color that is cool for awhile but something I felt I could get tired of looking at day in and day out.
3. I like Metallic paint on cars.
4. I just couldn't get over the feeling that I would be driving a taxi, although a fast one.
5. Gets a lot of attention from police.

Pros were
1. Not many people have it.
2. You will see your car from a long way off in a parking lot.

But it really was a hard choice there isn't too many vehicles that can pull off yellow successfully.

Best thing to do is put pictures up of all the colors you like next to each other and go from there. Remember you will have to live with your choice so you will have to be really happy with it.
Old 9/30/05, 08:37 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by King Cobra@September 30, 2005, 8:32 PM
I liked the Yellow too.

But kept looking at pictures of yellow and refire and determined that I liked the Redfire best.

1. Yellow is so bright in the sun that much of the style lines get blurred out. And at a good distance you almost can't tell it's a Mustang.
2. Yellow is a color that is cool for awhile but something I felt I could get tired of looking at day in and day out.
4. I just couldn't get over the feeling that I would be driving a taxi, although a fast one.
5. Gets a lot of attention from police.

Pros were
1. Not many people have it.
2. You will see your car from a long way off in a parking lot.

But it really was a hard choice there isn't too many vehicles that can pull off yellow successfully.

Best thing to do is put pictures up of all the colors you like next to each other and go from there. Remember you will have to live with your choice so you will have to be really happy with it.
Those are some great points on yellow. I have to say that I haven't seen to many pics online that really wow me on yellow. I've seen a couple of the cars in person and it's definitely a better color in person.

Torch Red is another color that surprised me in person. Much brighter red when seen in person. All the pictures I've seen of it online usually make it look like it has a lot of orange tint to it. I did notice some orange in person but it wasn't as pronounced.

Black, well how can you go wrong with it? The only hesitation on black for me is that I have to take some back roads home on my commute and know that car will be a royal pain to keep looking clean. In a perfect world I'd wash it every day, but don't see that happening.

Vista Blue is a real nice color. Finally saw that in person and it definitely grabbed my attention when I saw it. Maybe I should just get one of each!
Old 9/30/05, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I say, go for yellow. It think it looks great. If you want uniqueness go Yellow. I ordered Vista Blue because I haven't seen many of them in my area and blue is my favorite color. You're getting the new mustang to show off, and yellow is a show off color. I don't get why some people get silver or white which are so "fit in with the crowd" type colors. Black is cool, but I think the majority of mustangs are black so not so unique. I personally go for style and uniqueness. But I say go with what makes you happiest. If your kid throws a fit, who cares, he's not fronting the cash. He's a kid. You're going to let a 3 year old dictate your purchase? The only one who could change my mind on my choices would be my wife if I were married. But thank God I'm not. I've seen too many people on the board get thier choices mitigated by their wives.
Old 9/30/05, 08:48 PM
V6 Member

yeah, I hear ya. Only thing is my kid is a big mustang fan, he has me go through mustang magazines with him at story time each night. It's cool to have your son be into mustangs with you, especially at his age. I probably wouldn't take it to heart if every other day he mentioned a new color but when I ask him what color he likes or what daddy should get it's consistantly yellow. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I don't like yellow, just not sure if other colors are better choices that I mentioned.
Old 9/30/05, 09:16 PM
GT Member

Take the kid to the dealer with you & have him tell the salesman what color you want! Even 3 year olds know when they've got a cool Dad!
Old 9/30/05, 09:22 PM
Bullitt Member

I was totally set on TG (which is what I ordered), but I have to tell you, if I were to do it again, Legend Lime would give it a run for the money....
Old 10/1/05, 12:06 AM
Cobra R Member

T O R C H - R E D.....
Old 10/1/05, 03:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Giddyup@October 1, 2005, 2:09 AM
T O R C H - R E D.....
I'm in this camp. But.............

You can't go wrong with black.

Black says:

"I'm here to kick your ****"
"Are you talkin to me?"
"Go ahead, make my day"

Black is refined, sleek and stealthy.
Tough to keep clean but never a bad choice.

Yellow says:

"I'm in a class all by myself"
"I'm pretty, but I'm bad"
"Mess with me and I'll open a can of whip-**** on you"

Yellow is more of a dress up color. Very flashy. Not very common. I do agree that some of the lines are lost with this color. May have issues on the back side when trying to sell her.

Either way, make your decision based on what you want. You have to drive it, clean it, maintain it and pay for it. Please yourself and nobody else.

Good luck.
Old 10/1/05, 09:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by King Cobra@September 30, 2005, 8:32 PM

I agree with this.

Out of your choices, I would personally get black...but I'm going to recommend you get Vista Blue. Vista Blue is one of those colors that I love, but would probably not get it on my own car (by the same reasoning as stated above about the yellow, it'll be cool for a while, but I'd probably get tired of it).

I'm a huge fan of metallic paint. I will probably never own a non metallic painted car.
Old 10/1/05, 10:11 AM
Cobra Member

I've observed that lighter colored cars seem to hide the inevitable chips and even some dust and dirt. I guess it's because with the light being scattered more, your eye doesn't tend to spot imperfections so readily.

I'd go with the yellow, or a metallic, like Lime. But again, I'm a little biased there.

If you've got covered parking and love detailing your car, get black or any of the other darker colors. You really can't go wrong though. The car is what's important! Best of luck on your decision. It took me a while before making mine. It's not easy, is it?
Old 10/1/05, 04:56 PM
V6 Member

Well, looks like I've still got time. My local dealer said that their General Manager wouldn't be in until Monday to verify if I could order at x-plan. I have another dealer lined up that will do x-plan on my order. At least by waiting until Monday I've got more time to come up with my color choice. Geez, and to think I still have 6-8 weeks of waiting after getting through color choice! Thanks for the input on your color opinions.
Old 10/2/05, 05:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WHY DONT PEOPLE LISTEN TO THEIR KIDS ANYMORE?

Yellow =
Old 10/2/05, 08:33 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It was a long process for me as well but Legendary Lime was the winner ,it hides dirt well and will look about the same when faded plus the color was so retro .
Old 10/2/05, 09:23 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

No love for redfire eh? :nono:
Old 10/2/05, 09:25 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My .02. Torch Red all the way. The reasons:

1) Sporty, but not too 'look at me' as yellow - MY OPINION ONLY.
2) I'll never grow tired of red - it's timeless, but I wonder how I'd feel about yellow long term
3) Vista's a great color, but not as sporty - I did want some 'look at me'
4) Black's awesome, but I've owned black before and will never own it again. I don't like putting forth the effort it takes to keep black looking good - sometime's it seems impossible.

Also, I'm keeping my car forever, so resale isn't an issue with me. Resale with yellow will likely be the hardest, followed by black, then red and blue would likely be similar.

And before anyone flames me - this whole thread is based strictly on opinions - I know we all love our cars. And that's the best thing, with these cars, you really can't go wrong! Good Luck!
Old 10/2/05, 09:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I say Torch red...but i'm biased! If you like yellow and can live w/ a yellow car i say go for it....Vista is also a beautiful color! Black...well its just timeless...black is always beautiful, its just a pain to keep looking good after a few months down the road.
Old 10/3/05, 04:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Another vote for Torch Red...

Old 10/3/05, 07:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've had the yellow GT for 6 months now, and here's my experience:

1) stands out like no other color on the road. that's good and bad. You can't drive anywhere without having people craning their necks looking at the car. So if you like attention, it's great. It's easy to find your car in the parking lot. Just forget about being anonymous when driving it though.

2) hides the dirt real well. I wash it once a week, but it doesn't really look much different when it's clean or dirty.

3) it's a color you either love or hate, so some folks would not be caught dead in it. I've heard comments ranging from "that color is perfect for that car," to "how can you stand it?"

4) hides imperfections real well. I saw a black GT in a showroom, brand new and washed that day, and it was loaded with swirl marks and very fine scratches. not sure if the dealer put the swirl marks there by washing the car or what happened, but everything like that will be magnified with a black car. You'd have to look super-close to spot any swirl marks in yellow paint, and even then they'd be hard to see.

5) I disagree with the poster who said that the sun glare blurs out the lines in the car, or that it doesn't even look like a Mustang. HUH? The lines stand out fine in this car. I've never heard one person ask what kind of car it is - yellow is very recognizeable as a Mustang color, and always has been.

I do have occasional second thoughts about the yellow though. 95% of the time I love it and would not even think of trading it for another color. The other 5% of the time I think that a clean black one definitely looks a lot meaner and classier. But then the practical side of my brain always takes over and reminds me that black is so much higher maintenance to keep it looking great.

It's all about what you like, but I would definitely recommend seeing the cars in person, and in different lighting conditions, before making your decision, because you just can't tell from pictures.

Quick Reply: Color Help