2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Cold Air Brake Ducts or how to keep the brakes alive for weekend at Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/07, 08:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Air Brake Ducts or how to keep the brakes alive for weekend at Sebring

OK Here's the mission.

Weekend at Camp Steeda with the SVTOA at Sebring International Raceway.

3.7 mile Road Course, high speeds on the straights (I saw 125 M.P.H.+) so this will be killer on the brakes what to do, what to do.....

Be able to go all out (for me anyway) all weekend and not worry about stopping. Don't want to ditch the wheels and tires (Shelby CS66's and Nitto NT-555's) to put on bigger brakes.

So what to do.............

I called Agent 47 http://www.agentfortyseven.com/home.html (see Grassroots Motorsports Magazine website http://grmotorsports.com/news/index.php?s=mustang ((scroll halfway down to read article)) and this months printed issue, June 2007 for detailed install of the kit) about installing brake cooling ducts on a new Mustang GT. However I have the Shelby/California Special front fascia on my '06 GT and they did not make a cold air duct for this fascia now Cory at Agent 47 related if I could wait a couple of weeks he would be able to do a fast prototype and send me the result!

When he said that I was like do it!

So this is what I got....

There is also a template so you can cut a hole in the lower part of the fascia.

This is behind the two lower fake black grills so if you later remove the kit you can reinstall the two lower pieces and not see the holes.

Here's a close-up of the scoops (flash highlighted dust which wiped off revealing a very nice matte black)

Note tabs which use the factory mounting points.

After install, a couple of hours, wheels, rotors/calipers and dust shield have to be removed to install kit...... can be done in your garage with basic hand tools.......I did it.......jacks and stands are required.......

Note: You don't see the white like you see in this photo, it's just because of the angle I took the picture.

In the paddock at Sebring......

At speed on the front straight......

Now did they work? All the mags berate the Mustangs brakes as prone to fade after a couple of panic stops.......

So I had Hawk HP Plus pads and Brembo LCF 600 brake fluid along with the Agent 47 ducts and I can tell you the car stopped just as hard at the end of a 20 minute track session as it did the beginning.

Do you need a big brake kit? Yes, if you have a power adder, can you keep your stock brakes and calipers on a N/A car, yes....... with a way to draw off heat from the rotors.

So if you have a big brake kit you use this as added insurance to draw off heat and use this if you would like to keep the stock parts alive.......

Now for a pro/con on why I went with this kit and not the Steeda, Shelby or Ford Racing kits.
  • Steeda's kit is designed for their fascia, they have the "scoops" in the fascia for their kit. You could you use it on your stang yes be you don't get the "ram effect".
  • Shelby's Kit Hole drilled in lower fascia no "Scoop" no "ram air" effect.
  • Ford Racing.... $1,199.00 are they kidding? looks like the Shelby kit but no front screen like the Shelby kit, but it is the offical part off of the FR500 race car.... No Picture.....
No I don't work for Agent 47 and I paid full price... Hey Cory if you like this you can always refund me half...........

Old 4/24/07, 08:47 PM
Cobra Member

Looks great man! Sebring is a blast! If you get the opportunity, you have to drive Watkins Glen. The Glen is my favorite track BY FAR! When you're running brake ducts be ready for a buildup of iron dust down the sides of your car. Be very diligent about washing it off when you get home. I actually wash the top of the car first, then the sides, then the sides again to try to make sure I get it all. If you don't get it all you'll know it when the rusty haze appears. Also, if you're running in the rain I strongly recommend blocking the ducts as you'll get an instant film of rust down both sides of the car. On my black car it's not a huge deal but on your white car it would definitely suck.
Old 4/25/07, 12:59 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

MAN that is cool! Looks really great! I love how you've painted the whole CS bumper, exactly what I would like to get for my GT.

How did you find the Nittos on the track? I had them on my A4 and they looooved to sing, and didn't hold much grip at all...
Old 4/25/07, 01:59 PM
V6 Member

Very nice install. Looks great! The Agent 47 kit is on my list as well. Just last week I bought a front and rear set of Hawk blue pads, stainless lines, and ATE fluid. I have a track day coming up next month myself.

Also, GRM finally has the Mustang write-up in the latest (June) issue, for those that are interested.

Dave Kegel
Old 4/25/07, 11:08 PM
V6 Member

GT 350:
Great write-up on the brake ducts-- many thanks! It's reassuring to see the quality of the ducts themselves.

Anybody interested in a group buy? I'm curious that if we can get enough interest what kind of price break we could get...
Old 4/26/07, 01:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GT350, I was also at Sebring and was instructing level 1 and 2 students. I too was considering that duct kit. Thanks for your write up on them.
I would be up for a group buy.
BTW, you have a very nice looking car. I was admiring it! I have the Silver 06 number 57 that was with the Palm Beach Mustang club group.
SVTOA @ Sebring was a blast. I highly recommend it!
Old 4/26/07, 11:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

That looks like a great kit, and it sounds like the ducts were very effective. It's nice that it includes a template to cut out the stock grille, instead of spending $230 on the Agent 47 lower grille. Overall, would you say they were worth it for your track day?

I'm also curious; what does it cost to do a track day like this? I've never run a road course before, and have always wanted to. What all is required to get involved?
Old 4/26/07, 11:56 AM
Cobra R Member

Well I have the dream car factory z grille on my upper and lower grills. If there is a way to mod the grill behind the z grilles that would be awesome. So I could keep the front the same, and just have holes behind it to duct the air. I wonder how much agent 47 is selling those for and if he will mod accordingly. I will have to give them a call. Also is selling the same ducts etc for the regular gt bumpers etc. Any more info on a group buy?
Old 4/26/07, 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by titanjc
I'm also curious; what does it cost to do a track day like this? I've never run a road course before, and have always wanted to. What all is required to get involved?
There are several clubs that put on events in Florida. SVTOA event was around $350 for the two days. There was also a banquet the Satrurday night and lots of giveaways from Steeda, Nitto, Tokico and more. This is a once a year event and will be back in Florida in April of 08.

The other clubs that put on events similar, minus the Banquet hoopla are;
http://www.goldcoastregion.org/ Their events are known at DE (driver education events.) There events are around $175 per day.
http://www.drivenasafl.com/ Their events are known as HPDE (high performance driving events) They will be in Sebring in June.
Also: http://www.pbocflorida.com/
http://www.safemotorsports.com/
http://www.chinmotorsports.com/ Chin will be at Sebring May 5-6 weekend. You should drive over for the day and check it out. It is free to watch.

To get involved, first go watch an event, meet people and ask questions. See if it is for you. Then you need to register for an event on line. You need a helmet rated a Snell 2000 or newer. No motorcycle helmets allowed. As a novice, all you need is to have a safe car with good tires, bleed your brake fluid, have new(er) brake pads and a desire to have fun.
You will be assigned an instructor, you will have several classroom sessions and several on track sessions. As your skills improve, you will move up in the ranking and eventually get to drive solo and so on. As you get faster, your car preparation will increase as you will need high performance brake pads, brake fluid and and for a street car, a second set of wheels with tires is recommended, but not necessary as these are heavy wear and tear items.
This is the most track time for the money but it is not a cheap sport.
I also recommend to my Students that they try autocrossing also. This will give you a good seat of the pants thrill and "training" in a low speed controlled environment. Give it a try and it is less wear and tear and usually costs around $30 to enter. Go here: http://www.cfrsolo2.com/ They have an event in Brooksville next weekend.
Good luck and contact me if you have any questions.
Old 4/26/07, 03:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by titanjc
That looks like a great kit, and it sounds like the ducts were very effective. It's nice that it includes a template to cut out the stock grille, instead of spending $230 on the Agent 47 lower grille. Overall, would you say they were worth it for your track day?
For the stock Mustang GT you remove the stock lower grill (see below)

The two holes are already in the lower part of the grill on the GT where the scoops fit into the bottom of the grill. (see below for lower grill replacement part from agent 47)

I would say they lived up to my expectations as the brakes did not fade during the weekend.
Old 4/26/07, 04:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been very interested in this kit. I'm going to join NASA and drive at Mid-Ohio so I need some cooling. If anyone can organize a group buy, I'm in.
Old 4/26/07, 10:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Yah but I would like to not have to change out grills, as I already have a chromed grill cover over those existing areas. I would like to be able to cut out behind the covers and attach something there, so you cant even see the ducts at all. It would direct air the same way, Maybe I could modify something to attach to the back area after hole is cut. I guess I should call them.
Old 4/26/07, 10:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

GT_350, thanks for the clarification on the install, looks simple enough, and sound very effective. I'll definitely be considering these if I decide to go for a track day.
Old 6/27/07, 09:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Great Idea!!
Old 6/28/07, 11:50 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ryan1112
I've been very interested in this kit. I'm going to join NASA and drive at Mid-Ohio so I need some cooling. If anyone can organize a group buy, I'm in.
yea i might be interested too if the price is right would love to drive the track here in TX.
Old 7/5/07, 04:30 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

killer write up. Agent 47 rocks! Their products speak for themselves for those that track their cars; Ive talked to so many people that love their products (get a lot of people talking to me about them when I wear their shirt) as you mention that you dont work for them but gave them such an awesome review as if you were getting paid to do so. I find that is pretty much the consensus from people that use Agent 47 products. Cant wait for my brake kit.