2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 10/19/09, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Question

Has anyone heard of this before? I have a 2006 Mustang GT with a little more than 300hp. The other night I went to the drag strip. My first run was garbage so I immediately went around again. On my second run I revved it up to 2000 RPM. When I got the green light I dumped the clutch and stomped on the gas. I spun my tires though first. When I went to go into second I couldn't shift it with the clutch depressed. I just coasted to the finish. When I did get to the end I finely was able to get it in gear and shift normally. When I talked to my friends they told me they saw blue smoke under my car when it happened. You also could smell the clutch. I was able to get back home with no problems, with the exception of the clutch being a little rough while going into first. I’m pretty sure it’s my clutch, but why did I get it back? I haven't driven it since. Does it sound like I need a new clutch, or is it something else?
Old 10/19/09, 09:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

when you went for second gear did the clutch pedal fall to the floor or was you still able to push it in?
Old 10/19/09, 10:56 AM

I was able to push it in. It felt normal.
Old 10/19/09, 04:47 PM

No one has heard of this?
Old 10/20/09, 05:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

sounds like you mis-shifted and got locked in between gears...... you're fine.... as long as no damage done and still feels like it did stock.....but no clutch slip? or no grinding? if no to both dont worry about it and get an aftermarket shifter such as a hurst or a MGW....... if you dont already have one lol
Old 10/20/09, 10:27 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
mine did it twice, and messed it up...

synchronizer couldnt handle shifting into second on the limiter- was OK about 10 runs or so, then pulling second was like hitting a brick wall with the lever...after the second time I had trouble getting second in just normal driving, and no way at over 4500...the little synchros are like smalll clutches that spool the gears up as you pull on the lever so they can mesh, and apparently they dont like 6000 rpm shifts into second.

I put up with mine for a few months, whenever it locked out, just went back to first or third and then to second, usually first retry it would shift... figured a tranny from newtakeoff would be best, then beef up the original, but after hearing so much good about royal purple oil, figured why not...drained it thru a filter- no metal, refilled with RP, and immediately third just 'falls' into place, and within a day or so driving second quit getting locked out, even been back to the track abusing it again, so far so good. Since changing to RP the thing has only got locked out twice, both times in downshifting- upshifts aint done it since. I'm sure somethings damaged in mine, but not enough to prevent it from working pretty normally

if I ever start driving the 09, as soon as some breakin miles are on it, will switch to Royal Purple before flogging it- never bought into the 'magic oil' stuff much, but I'm sold on it.
Old 10/20/09, 11:01 PM
Bullitt Member

This is normal with manual transmission cars. The clutches will seem like they are trashed. Give it a good rest overnight and it's magically fixed the next day. It will only get worse in due time but it's definitely not going to give up on you tomorrow.