2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Clunky Auto Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 2/13/05, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had this car for two weeks now.

Love drivin her and all -- but I gotta ques for Auto owners.

Does the transmission seem kinda heavy -- or clunky when changing gears?

And can anyone tell me what that kinda loose rattle noise is by the wheels as i am driving...especially over bad pavement or manhole covers. Is that the TCS motor?

I'm sure it's all normal -- just curious is all and some of you guys are much more familiar with Ford and the mustang than myself.
Old 2/14/05, 01:37 AM
GT Member

yep. kinda clunky and i haven't quite found out what the rattle is yet though I've taken it to the dealer. i also have a clunky sound when turning (at times) but it may be related to the rattle that occurs over speed bumps and bad pavement.

anyone have any definite answers?
Old 2/14/05, 02:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

No answers for you, other than to say that I'm getting sick and tired of hearing about all the complaints people are having with the new Stang.

Why is it, exactly, that the domestic automakers are soooo far behind the imports in engineering, process and quality control?

Squeaks, rattles, shakes, shimmers, glitches and deceleration issues aside, several people are now reporting that the remote global up/down feature for the window doesn't work when you put your key in the door to raise the window. Ford's official answer: "We don't care and we're too stupid or lazy to fix it, so we'll just deactivate the module altogether."

THIS WOULD NOT HAPPEN WITH HONDA, TOYOTA, MAZDA, BMW, LEXUS, et al. If they had an issue with something that didn't work properly, they would fix it, not turn their back on it...and consequently their customers as well. :nono:

It's one issue that Ford seems to have problems with quality (I understand the Ford GT was just recalled over some problem), it's another when their official customer service line is: "Dunno...don't care...don't bother us."

Poor quality interior materials...poor reliability...poor dealership experiences...poor customer service. I see little has changed with the Blue Oval. No wonder Toyota has surpassed Ford to become the world's number two automaker. You'd think that all the money Ford has been hemorrhaging in recent years would have taught them something. Quit worrying about building "halo" cars like the GT and Shelby GR-1, and get back to core basics: quality, reliability and service.

I really wanted a Mustang, but I become more angry and disenchanted with each new problem/complaint I see voiced on this site. And there are several!
Old 2/14/05, 05:03 AM
Bullitt Member

No problems...

My auto shifts smooth and quick. I personaly have never seen one that shifted better. I admiit that a ratche shifter would be better, but I do not see how the thing chould shift any cleaner...

The suspenion on the new mustanges is a performance set up. It is not goign to ride like a caddy. Anyone who buys a muscle car should know this after one test drive...

To give you the ride you seem to want, would require significant weight ( i.e. lowere performance ) to be added and a reduction is over all handling. Not to mention a significant increase in the price. Which would of course defeate the entire purpose of the car...

It sounds like you guys want a lexus with a better ride and less performance for significantly more money...
Old 2/14/05, 06:33 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Robert@February 14, 2005, 2:54 AM
No answers for you, other than to say that I'm getting sick and tired of hearing about all the complaints people are having with the new Stang.

Welcome to the internet Robert.....

Go to ANY auto enthusiast site, and you will see the same thing. People complaining about this, that or the other freakin thing.

It is not an indicator that the car is bad.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Do not make other people's problems your own!

Back to the original question:

Auto tranny, I have it, and it's the firmest, fastest shifting auto I've ever owned. Now if in the morning your the kind of person that likes to get in and immediately put the car in gear and go you will experience a "clunk" because the car is idling at about 1000rpm's when cold. If you let it warm up a bit the idle will kick down to about 700-750 rpm's and the "clunk" will be less pronounced.
Old 2/14/05, 06:34 AM
FR500 Member

Whoops! :bang: I replied to myself instead of editing myself
Old 2/14/05, 06:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by SixtySix@February 14, 2005, 7:37 AM
Whoops! :bang: I replied to myself instead of editing myself
Sounds like you have your OWN forum going!
Old 2/14/05, 07:05 AM
GT Member

If you talk to yourself, you are supposed to answer yourself too
Old 2/14/05, 07:49 AM
Cobra Member

"THIS WOULD NOT HAPPEN WITH HONDA, TOYOTA, MAZDA, BMW, LEXUS, et al. If they had an issue with something that didn't work properly, they would fix it, not turn their back on it...and consequently their customers as well. "

That is not true--my father in law purchased a brand new 03 Avalon and within a week the electrical system failed while on a trip to Orlando. The dealer gave him the run around.
After a year of owning it and 15000 miles on it the tranny fluid "burnt" the techs told him it was due to improper maintence, funny because it was them who had done the maintence!!! A huge battle insued in which my father lost and had to shell out around 300-400 hundred dollars to repair! YIKES!!!
He has since sold it.

My 02 Nissan Altima had soo many recalls it wasnt funny! Everything from the crank-sensor failing to trim not fitting. And there are many out there with their MAFs' malfunctioning--which Nissan is not taking responsiblity for!

I have almost 900 miles on my Mustang and have not had any shakes, rattles, rolls, or odd smells! My tranny is not clunky either!
Old 2/14/05, 08:21 AM
FR500 Member

I find it funny he put Mazda in that group. An "import" manufacturer that's owned by Ford. Let us not forget that the Mustang is "built by Mazda for the Ford Motor Company" those aren't my words either.....
Old 2/14/05, 08:25 AM
GT Member

If you let it warm up a bit the idle will kick down to about 700-750 rpm's and the "clunk" will be less pronounced.
[/quote]

I've found this to be true as well. Just to clarify, it's not clunky during driving (shifting), it's clunky when putting it into gear.
Old 2/14/05, 08:32 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by TVstang@February 14, 2005, 12:27 AM
And can anyone tell me what that kinda loose rattle noise is by the wheels as i am driving...especially over bad pavement or manhole covers. Is that the TCS motor?

The TCS system works by sensing tire slippage using the ABS sensors on the brakes and input from other sensors. It shouldn't make any noise over bumps. It's really a system, and not separate parts.
Old 2/14/05, 08:35 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by sranger@February 14, 2005, 4:06 AM
No problems...

My auto shifts smooth and quick. I personaly have never seen one that shifted better. I admiit that a ratche shifter would be better, but I do not see how the thing chould shift any cleaner...

The suspenion on the new mustanges is a performance set up. It is not goign to ride like a caddy. Anyone who buys a muscle car should know this after one test drive...

To give you the ride you seem to want, would require significant weight ( i.e. lowere performance ) to be added and a reduction is over all handling. Not to mention a significant increase in the price. Which would of course defeate the entire purpose of the car...

It sounds like you guys want a lexus with a better ride and less performance for significantly more money...
As I come from a Ford family (Mustangs dating back to the late 60's models) I'm relatively familiar with the product. It's not so much that we're looking for a luxury feel as it is feeling comfortable with the money that has been forked out. I never said it was a bad car.. heck I would've never accepted these little quirks with any other vehicle.. but IMHO bumps, rattles, etc. especially when everyone else isn't experiencing the same problems just seem to be worth mentioning. Maybe someone has an answer and we can go back to :drive: in eace:
Old 2/14/05, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Arrow

several people are now reporting that the remote global up/down feature for the window doesn't work when you put your key in the door to raise the window. Ford's official answer: "We don't care and we're too stupid or lazy to fix it, so we'll just deactivate the module altogether."

What is your source for this statement? I'd be interested to look more into this.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No need - I just found the thread and read it.

Old 2/14/05, 10:17 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My brother has worked on cars for years and told me the loudness you sometimes hear in the tranny (clunk) is normal because of the kid fo gears the Stangs use (?). I have noticed too that as 66 said, let the car warm up a bit before you get going and it won't be as loud. Mine is always loud going into reverse but I remember my 88GT (stick) being loud clukning into reverse. Other than that, I love this auto tranny. (especially the 'magic pinkie button' as my sister-in-law calls it)

No clue what that 'sound by the wheels' might be.... I know that both my GT and the one my brother has, has a kinda 'ticking noise' that started after a few hundred miles coming from the engine - the technician at my dealership said it was a problem with the variable cam timing sprocket fascia - doesn't 'go bad', it just starts making that noise. He has us down to give us a shout when the get the replacement part in.
Old 2/14/05, 10:24 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Burke0011@February 14, 2005, 9:20 AM
My brother has worked on cars for years and told me the loudness you sometimes hear in the tranny (clunk) is normal because of the kid fo gears the Stangs use (?). I have noticed too that as 66 said, let the car warm up a bit before you get going and it won't be as loud. Mine is always loud going into reverse but I remember my 88GT (stick) being loud clukning into reverse. Other than that, I love this auto tranny. (especially the 'magic pinkie button' as my sister-in-law calls it)

No clue what that 'sound by the wheels' might be.... I know that both my GT and the one my brother has, has a kinda 'ticking noise' that started after a few hundred miles coming from the engine - the technician at my dealership said it was a problem with the variable cam timing sprocket fascia - doesn't 'go bad', it just starts making that noise. He has us down to give us a shout when the get the replacement part in.
What's the magic pinky button? I assume you're referring to the O/D on/off button? If so what have you noticed about it? Any performance tidbits?
Old 2/14/05, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Let's not forget folks... This is a first generation car, brand-new from the ground up. It's a given that a car that has been totally re-designed isn't going to be perfect. Heck the chances of any car regardless of how long it's been being manufactured will ever be perfect.

Simply stated... If you think there's a problem go to the dealership. This is why cars have warranties and manufactures issue recalls.

If you concerned about possible problems with this car either A) wait a year, B) don't buy it.
Old 2/14/05, 10:28 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by PerfWhite05@February 14, 2005, 11:27 AM
What's the magic pinky button? I assume you're referring to the O/D on/off button? If so what have you noticed about it? Any performance tidbits?
It's just 5th gear, if you leave it off, the auto will only shift through the first four gears.
Old 2/14/05, 10:32 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by SixtySix@February 14, 2005, 9:24 AM
I find it funny he put Mazda in that group. An "import" manufacturer that's owned by Ford. Let us not forget that the Mustang is "built by Mazda for the Ford Motor Company" those aren't my words either.....
He also said Toyota and Lexus, a little redundent, but anyway. There are quite a few "imports" that are owned my American automakers...Jaguar, Aston Martin, Volvo, Saab, Mazda, Mitsubishi, just to name a few...

Quick Reply: Clunky Auto Transmission