2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Clunk when shifting from park to reverse

Search this Thread

Old 5/28/06, 11:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Clunk when shifting from park to reverse

Does anybody notice a clunk noise from under the car with the auto trans when you shift from park to reverse. It seems to happen intermittantly. Is it just normal slop in the driveline or what. It does not happen everytime. When I start the car, I always let the engine idle down before shifting into reverse from park to back out of my garage. I have an 05 GT.
My other vehicle, a GMC Yukon does not do this at all, so I was wondering if it was just a typical Ford thing.
Thanks for any info.
Old 5/30/06, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My 05 GT does this. We've owned several Fords,and this is the first to make such a loud clunk of a noise-doesn't do it every time.I also wait until the engine has had time to idle down before shifting into reverse.
Old 5/30/06, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Yeah, maybe it is just some slop in the driveline which could be "normal" even though I don't like it when it occurs. The car runs and shifts smoothly. It is just one of those intermittant things I guess. I sure do love my car.
Old 5/31/06, 11:25 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have it too

While I'm the first to be skeptical when something in my gut tells me "it's not normal" and the dealer says it is, I believe unfortunately this is typical. I have an 05 GT with auto tranny. My car does the same thing sporadically like yours, more often than not tho. Sometimes letting it idle will help but not by much. At first this alarmed me because NO car I've ever driven especially newer ones and cheaper ones have made a noise like this unless the tranny had problems. From a cheap neon to a v6 03 mustang convertible, all were really smooth when moving the gear selector. Well, I've taken it to 2 dealers and told it's because it's high torque and that it is a transmission for a high power sports car not a refined luxury car.

Many people have the same thing, so I think it's the nature of the beast. I've learned to live with it as well as an ocassional ping that comes when throttling. Doesn't matter what gas I use I get it on occassion. I notice with the tranny that the gear selector is very notchy and is hard to move and doesn't feel seamless, which adds to the clunkyness. When driving it's ok, its just when moving the lever it can feel like a chore rather than second nature. I do notice however that sometimes when the car is moved from park to reverse and I go back a few feet in reverse that I get a loud clunk similar to this sound as if I had just gone over a metal thing on the road. It's strange.
Old 6/1/06, 07:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rins05GT
While I'm the first to be skeptical when something in my gut tells me "it's not normal" and the dealer says it is, I believe unfortunately this is typical. I have an 05 GT with auto tranny. My car does the same thing sporadically like yours, more often than not tho. Sometimes letting it idle will help but not by much. At first this alarmed me because NO car I've ever driven especially newer ones and cheaper ones have made a noise like this unless the tranny had problems. From a cheap neon to a v6 03 mustang convertible, all were really smooth when moving the gear selector. Well, I've taken it to 2 dealers and told it's because it's high torque and that it is a transmission for a high power sports car not a refined luxury car.

Many people have the same thing, so I think it's the nature of the beast. I've learned to live with it as well as an ocassional ping that comes when throttling. Doesn't matter what gas I use I get it on occassion. I notice with the tranny that the gear selector is very notchy and is hard to move and doesn't feel seamless, which adds to the clunkyness. When driving it's ok, its just when moving the lever it can feel like a chore rather than second nature. I do notice however that sometimes when the car is moved from park to reverse and I go back a few feet in reverse that I get a loud clunk similar to this sound as if I had just gone over a metal thing on the road. It's strange.
same here - exactly. I think it's just the normal, unrefined, muscle car tranny slop. fine with me, as long as it runs and shifts well. and it does.
Old 6/1/06, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rash
same here - exactly. I think it's just the normal, unrefined, muscle car tranny slop. fine with me, as long as it runs and shifts well. and it does.
+1

Nature of the Beast indeed.

The 5R55S made in France for the Lincoln LS for a while prior to the use in the S197 Mustang. So, inclinations to think it is due to a new design are vanquished.

The torque might certainly be a contributer to it as well. i notice in drive while entering the garage, that has a slight driveway grade before it, she pulls in very well. Compare it to my stick shift one and there is a big difference. So, combined with the fact that the first gear is a bit steeper in the Auto, i'm leaning towards the torque and sporty explaination as well.
Old 6/2/06, 11:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

My 06 GT Manual does this too. Especially if I'm driving real slow in 1st while getting the car straight to go into the garage and engaging/disengaging the clutch. Everytime the tranny catches it moves back and forth making the clunking sound.
Old 6/4/06, 06:56 AM

Mine does it.
Old 6/6/06, 09:48 PM

My '06 manual is clunking too. Not every time, but I hear a clunk in the rearend shifting into 2nd about every third time.
Old 6/7/06, 09:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

in the cases of the Manual, it sounds like the cv joint actually. letting the clutch out just a l'il too quick will do that. i had the problem when i was getting used to the Roush as the pedals they put in there and the clutch is short from the floor. after a week or so, no problem or hearing that sound again. prior entering the garage in 1st, a good trick is to let her out almost to idle and hold slightly, feather it in at the most subtle way while letting it out just past engagement, once she rolls, it is a matter of letting her idle in there & brake her where you are ready to stop.

i have driven many 05s and the Roush ones seem to have stiffer and shorter clutches, some have longer ones that make this streeting stuff much easier.
Old 6/7/06, 11:01 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rins05GT
I've taken it to 2 dealers and told it's because it's high torque and that it is a transmission for a high power sports car not a refined luxury car.
Well your V8 has alot more power and torque then my V6 and mine does this at times also. So much for that comment.
Old 6/7/06, 12:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
Well your V8 has alot more power and torque then my V6 and mine does this at times also. So much for that comment.
Dealerships talking out the side of their necks again!!!
Old 6/12/06, 03:53 PM

I think your right, Stangette. No more clunk once I got dialed in with a manual after 10 years of auto.
Old 6/16/06, 09:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DUD121
I think your right, Stangette. No more clunk once I got dialed in with a manual after 10 years of auto.
Same experiance i had to deal with - and now when i drive the Auto - i sit there for a sec before i fire her up;- like there is something "missing"

And the manual will train ya for sure.
Old 6/16/06, 10:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

My GT automatic doesn't clunkat all, not from park to reverse or drive. I read this thead last week and couldn't remember if it did or not. If I let the revs come down after start up it's fine. I would imagine it also depends on if it's cold outside and other factors.