2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Chips and scratches in windshield

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/05, 09:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been driving my own cars for over 18 years. I can count 3 chips in windshields in all those cars of those years.

I've owned my Mustang since Nov. 10th. I have 3 chips in windshield. They aren't big, more just small lines. But the fact that anything that hits the windshield seems to leave its mark. Also the first time I washed it (or cleaned the winshield) it left right to left scratches in the glass.

Are they using cheap glass? Is there a product out there to fill these scratches and chips.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 2/23/05, 09:10 AM
Cobra Member

What are you using to clean the windshield that’s leaving scratches? Diamonds or something? I hope is not true. Also are you sure you’ve only experienced three chips? Maybe this is because you paid the most attention to this car. Either way, I hope this isn’t something common.
Old 2/23/05, 09:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

It seems funny that everything that hit's the windshield leaves a mark. I've taken rocks to other windshields and it doesn't leave a mark.
Old 2/23/05, 09:16 AM
GTR Member

Is it just me or are more and more problems being discovered? That 05 is not our friend, i wouldnt get one till 07 if I was interested. THe new cobra wont be any good most likely till 09 (fords low qaulity 1st year products)
Old 2/23/05, 09:16 AM
Cobra Member

That’s horrible man. I'm not going to go test and see if mine does the same thing for obvious reasons, but maybe someone else can share their experiences, maybe the dealership will replace it, if it seems unreasonably soft.
Old 2/23/05, 09:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

As soon as it gets back from the shop (having spoiler replaced and other problems) I'll take pictures of these scratches and chips.
Old 2/23/05, 10:57 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Fordracing200@February 23, 2005, 10:19 AM
Is it just me or are more and more problems being discovered? That 05 is not our friend, i wouldnt get one till 07 if I was interested. THe new cobra wont be any good most likely till 09 (fords low qaulity 1st year products)

im not bashing at all but i think ur wrong here. u gotta look at the bad yes we understand. but come on every car gets chips somewhere or another. its a car. people have to stop nit picking on all the little things like the active anti-theft problems and all this junk. when u get to the good things ull realize this car is our best friend. im sure the new cobra will be tearing it up when 07 rolls around
Old 2/23/05, 05:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fordracing200@February 23, 2005, 11:19 AM
Coming from an old guy. It reguards to chipping, I think windsheilds quality dropped big time over fifteen years ago and more so lately. As with all products in general people want a cheaper price. Therefore, again I say, from cheaper cost, comes a lower quality product. All this cost cutting and wage concessions and farming out the job has to reverse its self one day soon. I see too many products going down hill.
Old 2/23/05, 05:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have 2 fairly large chips in the windshield. For now I had them filled in, and in the spring I'll replace the windshield.

This isn't unique to this car though... anytime I've ever taken a direct hit to the windshield, it's left a mark.

I haven't noticed the windshield being any "softer" than any other car though. I've washed it numerous times, and haven't left any scratches on the windshield.

When I do replace it, I don't know whether I'll use the OEM replacement or aftermarket - whichever is of the best quality I guess. I'm really not sure why Ford bothered to put the pony on the windshield anyway... it's barely noticable from the outside.
Old 2/23/05, 05:45 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by derynf@February 23, 2005, 11:08 AM
I've been driving my own cars for over 18 years. I can count 3 chips in windshields in all those cars of those years.

I've owned my Mustang since Nov. 10th. I have 3 chips in windshield. They aren't big, more just small lines. But the fact that anything that hits the windshield seems to leave its mark. Also the first time I washed it (or cleaned the winshield) it left right to left scratches in the glass.

Are they using cheap glass? Is there a product out there to fill these scratches and chips.

Try living in Michigan, at least 5 - 6 stone chips per year in windshield, crappy roads. Over one hundred throughout the vehicle. Honest.

Chips can be filled, although never to my satisfaction, the fill is visable. If chips are located in your view of road it is best to replace the wlndshield.
Old 2/23/05, 05:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Everyone I know that has a car made in the past five years (foreign and domestic) have had problems with chips in the windshield. My 2000 Acura seemed very susceptible to chipping with even the slightest hit. My Mazda has a very tiny chip (almost unnoticable). I really don't think this is a Ford specific problem.
Old 2/23/05, 05:57 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Altoid@February 23, 2005, 8:19 AM
That’s horrible man. I'm not going to go test and see if mine does the same thing for obvious reasons, but maybe someone else can share their experiences, maybe the dealership will replace it, if it seems unreasonably soft.
Ryan,

I took a rock coming from South Bay Ford earlier today and it left a mark but it was a pretty hard and direct hit. It was so loud that I could hear it over the sounds of the exhaust and the shaker 1000. From my experience.. all windshields since my first 94 Pontiac have been equally soft (so to speak).. plus being that low to the ground you tend to take a few here and there along with the pesky sound of rocks flying from the tires into the wheel-wells.. :bang: on the other hand.. I've driven an Expedition for the past couple of years so I'm going to have to get use to a car again.... IMO I don't see the glass as being defective or of any lower quality than any other modern car though but I'm certainly no mechanical expert...
Old 2/23/05, 06:21 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Fordracing200@February 23, 2005, 9:19 AM
Is it just me or are more and more problems being discovered?
It's just you.

I actually have one.....couldn't be happier
Old 2/23/05, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

I took one in my cavalier, right between my eyes. What was scary is I saw it come off the dump truck hit the ground and then into my windshield. It was all I could do not to move my body or my car.
Old 2/23/05, 06:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

1. I love the pony on the windshield; I don't care if the world sees it.

2. Our 1970 Buick LeSaber had the 2nd best windshield; the radio antenna was built into the windshield.

3. Ford use to make all of it’s own glass, starting with the sand, they made a lot of the skyscraper glass you see in any cityscape, but if I remember right they spun that off business off a few years ago.

4. I don’t know if today’s glass is any better or not, but I would think it’s more the driving conditions have changed. As more townships use stones and cinders instead of salt for winter roads, and the disrepair of roads in general adding to the hard debris it’s amazing how well windshield do. You can’t blame Ford for everything.
Old 2/23/05, 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Tony I love my car too, couldn't be happier. Is there a product out there for glass scratches?
Old 2/23/05, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by derynf@February 23, 2005, 12:08 PM

I dont have any scratches from washing the car but without a doubt the windshield is much more sensitine than what it should be. I have had mine for only 2 months, I have 3000 miles from which about 500 are interstate miles. I had a 2000 mustang of which I had for about 2 years. It had 69000 miles when I sold it of which 45000 miles were interstate. The windshield was in better shape when I sold it than my '05 that I have now and that is a fact. When I get in my '05 on a sunny day the windshield looks horrible. From all the comments in this thread it appears that its not all the windshileds in the '05's. I can tell you though not to waste your time by taking it to the dealership as it is something very hard to prove that its the quality of our windshiled.
Old 2/23/05, 08:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I too have a huge run in my windshield. It hit right at the top of my windshield, where that black tape thing is...didn't even hear it so it couldn't have hit too hard!I didn't notice it till it had ran so bad it couldn't be fixed. Very upset to think i had my car for less than 2 weeks and it was already less than perfect!
Old 2/23/05, 08:58 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by BEACHBOY@February 23, 2005, 6:37 PM
Tony I love my car too, couldn't be happier. Is there a product out there for glass scratches?
Sratches, I dunno... but small cracks can be filled before they spider. I've already had one filled. It's such a common occurance out here everybody has at least 3-4 repairs or a replacement windshield every year.