2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Child seat

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/07, 09:23 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Child seat

Anyone have one in their car? Have any pictures?
I'm expecting my first kid in a couple of weeks (a boy -- thanks) and I'd love to see how a child seat looks in the car.

I waited 20 years to buy a Mustang GT. Had it for nine days -- and whoopsie! -- we're pregnant! Go figure.
Old 10/9/07, 11:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I dont have any pictures, and it wasnt my kid was my nephew, but those rear facing seats dont fit so well, front facing are fine.

My brother had to pretty much slide the seat all the way forward for the rear facing seat for my nephew, though it is a pretty big child seat.

Dont know what to tell you, I never even seen a front facing seat for new borns.
Old 10/9/07, 11:53 PM
V6 Member

No but a booster seat fits fine. If you can just get by for a couple years.

Is the passenger a short person? It might fit good there.

Gib
Old 10/10/07, 12:39 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I waited 20 years to buy a Mustang GT. Had it for nine days -- and whoopsie! -- we're pregnant! Go figure.
So which came first the whoopsie or the pony? ConGrats!
Old 10/10/07, 06:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RobRob
I'm expecting my first kid in a couple of weeks (a boy -- thanks) and I'd love to see how a child seat looks in the car.

I hate to burst your bubble but if you bought your Mustang nine days ago and then found out "whoopsie" it's going to take longer than a couple weeks, the stork has been backed up, about 9 months lately

Back to the question, you wont have any problems with the car seat, it fits fine. I have moved on to a booster seat now so I cant take any pictures of how it looked with the full size seat in it but it was never a problem. When they get a little bigger and there feet actually go past the seat you will have to move the passenger seat up a little, but if your wife (or significant other) is as sort as my wife (5'1") you wont have a problem.

P.S. Congrats!
Old 10/10/07, 07:04 AM
Cobra Member

I have had my son in one (now 9 months old) since he was born. The seat bottom is not flush in the back seat which means your going to have to fill it somehow. Towels work or you can do what I did and get a swimming noodle, cut it up and put them in. They are very strong foam. You will have a hard time getting it strapped in the back. I had to have my friend sit on it while myself and his wife got the other strap in. Luckily those friends were both police officers and she was a certified car seat installer. I knew how to do it but I felt better "having it professionally installed". Call you local pd to set an appointment to have this done. Also while in the facing backwards position you will not be able to use the latch system and you will pretty much lose use of your front passenger seat. My wife sits back with the baby. When you are able to turn it around it will be a lot easier to install and will regain use of your seat. Hope this helps.

Roger
Old 10/10/07, 08:03 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Can you turn the passanger side airbag off. I might would put the seat up front, if that's possible.
Old 10/10/07, 08:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
Can you turn the passanger side airbag off. I might would put the seat up front, if that's possible.

I dont think their is a built in way to turn it off, the seat has a sensor in it to determine the "weight" of the passenger, I think it set at like 75 pounds. if the sensor detects that theres something of significant weight on the seat, but not around 75 pounds it automatically turns the air bag off.

It seems to work, I have had a ton of stuff piled on the passenger seat, my laptop, couple books etc, and the light will show that the airbag has been turned off.

Friend of mine, shes really thin, wieghs like 95 pounds soaking wet, sometimes when she gets into the car the sensor will turn off the airbag, lol, some time she needs to bounce in the seat before it will turn back on. I always make fun of her for it

Anyhow if the seat is properly installed the sensor should detect that it isnt wieght enough and turn off the airbag, dont know how much you would trust it, I dont know for sure, but their may be somewhere you can disconnect it completely, a fuse or what not, if you dont mind the airbag light.
Old 10/10/07, 08:53 AM
Cobra Member

the only way to turn it off is in the tune as far as I know and I don't know if it will turn off individual seats. The car seat is turned around so that shouldn't be an issue.

Roger
Old 10/10/07, 09:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can imagine with a rear facing seat, the passenger seat will have to be moved well foward. I have some images of my foward facing toddler seat.

http://img71.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1323287kd3.jpg
http://img71.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1323288tz1.jpg
http://img71.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1323290re5.jpg
Old 10/10/07, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Ditto on what everyone else has said. Unless the person is extremely short the passenger seat is useless when the child has to be rear facing. I believe that around here it's for one year.

Now the good news is, get yourself a car seat that includes a base, that way, when there's no baby, you can regain most of that space. It works out much better and by the time the child is too big you'll have this car paid off and maybe can get a second car and make your mustang a weekend car.
Old 10/10/07, 09:35 AM
Cobra Member

by that time I hope to have a shelby paid off
Old 10/10/07, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
Most states have laws governing how old a child has to be before they can ride in the front seat of a car, so I would check that first before doing this.
Old 10/10/07, 10:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
I have a 2.5 year old, car seat fits fine in the back. Like a previous poster said, you'll have to move the passenger seat up a bit in order to give the little one room for his/her feet.

Since I have a vert, I have found it easier to install/remove the seat with the top down.

I'm at work now but I'll take pix and post ASAP.

You DO know that installing a car seat in a 'Stang results in a loss of approximately 40 hp don't you?
Old 10/10/07, 10:55 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
buy the powerwheels mustang now in case it won't be out anymore in 3 years
Old 10/10/07, 12:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by RobRob

A wise man, I see. Why buy a minivan or SUV for something that could fit in the glove box? (not encouraging you to try it )

Keep the Mustang, the kid will love it too!
Old 10/10/07, 12:41 PM
GT Member

I had to have a child seat (front facing) in my convertible for a few months when the car was used as a daily driver. I installed it behind the passenger seat (obvious reasons)........my advice is to be prepared to replace the upper seat back release lever after a few months of heavy use.
Unless Ford has upgraded the material these are made of, they will break. Fortunately they are covered under warranty. It's just a PITA to go to the dealer for something so minor, yet so annoying.
Old 10/10/07, 12:48 PM
Cobra Member

Well I have been doing it for 9 months with no problems
Old 10/10/07, 12:59 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just don't put in an O/R H and SLP loudmouths
Old 10/10/07, 01:06 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Redfire vert your not that for from me. I am around UCF.

Roger

Quick Reply: Child seat