2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

CHE K-Member Brace

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/07, 01:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
CHE K-Member Brace

Does anyone know if there are any group buys going on for the CHE brace w/o the torque limiters? It's $89 but looks to be better engineered than the Steeda or BMR braces and certainly stronger than the OEM brace.
Old 12/7/07, 04:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
Does anyone know if there are any group buys going on for the CHE brace w/o the torque limiters? It's $89 but looks to be better engineered than the Steeda or BMR braces and certainly stronger than the OEM brace.
Why do you think it's engineered better? I have both the BMR and CHE with T/Ls and minus the T/Ls, both do the same exact thing. It's a piece of metal bolted to the car mating the K-Member together. If I don't put the T/Ls back on, the BMR is staying on the car. It's certainly beefier than the CHE, but it's not like either one is going to break.
Old 12/7/07, 06:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Can you re-use the stock bolts and nuts with the BMR A-Arm support?

It looks like the Granatelli and the BMR are similar. I wonder which one works the best:
CHE vs Steeda vs BMR vs Granatelli
Old 12/7/07, 06:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scramblr
Why do you think it's engineered better? I have both the BMR and CHE with T/Ls and minus the T/Ls, both do the same exact thing. It's a piece of metal bolted to the car mating the K-Member together. If I don't put the T/Ls back on, the BMR is staying on the car. It's certainly beefier than the CHE, but it's not like either one is going to break.
The BMR (and others) only fasten to the factory cross member in a single plane. The CHE is better engineered, as it takes advantage of the lower set of factory holes on the K-member, allowing it fasten in two perpendicular planes. Minimal extra weight, but much sounder from an engineering persepective.
Old 12/8/07, 01:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
Can you re-use the stock bolts and nuts with the BMR A-Arm support?
Yes.

Originally Posted by Import-Slaya
The BMR (and others) only fasten to the factory cross member in a single plane. The CHE is better engineered, as it takes advantage of the lower set of factory holes on the K-member, allowing it fasten in two perpendicular planes. Minimal extra weight, but much sounder from an engineering persepective.
I forgot about the two perpendicular bolts. Not sure if it makes it better, but it does bolt on more.
Old 12/8/07, 09:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The Steeda one is plenty beefy(probably about 3 times overbuilt from what is necessary), no issues whatsoever, and I noticed the difference immediately, sharpened up the front a bit and settled it down on bumps. All said and done even the stamped tube from the 'verts and 08+'s OEM is probably just as effective. The areas they bolt to do not flex, so connecting it with 2 or 4 bolts isn't going to make jack diddly poop difference. Spend some time under the car on a lift and look the whole k-member over, preferrably an 08 and you'll see it doesn't matter how its done.
Old 12/9/07, 05:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Ford must have spent thousands of dollars and man-hours on FEA of the OEM bar to make sure that the bar was kosher to use. It would seem cheaper for Ford to just use a Steeda-style bar, instead of changing the crossmember design and using a new bar. I don't like how the Steeda bar relies on threaded portions of the bolt to prevent flexing of the crossmember.
Old 12/9/07, 07:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kevinb120
. . . The areas they bolt to do not flex, so connecting it with 2 or 4 bolts isn't going to make jack diddly poop difference. . .
If those areas don't flex, then why bother with a brace?