2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Changing transmission fluid in an 07 automatic transmission convertible mustang

Search this Thread

Old 7/27/21, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing transmission fluid in an 07 automatic transmission convertible mustang

Hey all! How's it going? I recently put a muffler on my car with the help of some good people on here and I was hoping to get some tips for my next project (nothing big)

I just want to replace the transmission fluid in my automatic V6 mustang. I know I should use motorcraft atf but I was wondering if there are any better brands. I also plan on replacing the filter inside the pan with this
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2007,mustang,4.0l+v6,1433388,transmission-automatic,filter,8600

Also they are saying I need 11.9 quartz to fill the system back up, but I only ever see people get out 4 maybe 5 Max. I don't want to buy all those bottles if I don't need them. And lastly is there a fill hole for transmission fluid on the V6 automatic transmission? I see the outlet but I can't find the inlet at all. I'm going to try and do this this weekend so any help would be appreciated and if you can't help at least thanks for looking! Have a good one!
Old 7/28/21, 11:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Howdy!

The link wasn't made, and it wasn't specific enough, but this one is the one I'd do: MOTORCRAFTFT142 {#3W4P7A098AB, 3W4Z7A098AA}
You just really don't wanna mess around with the filter in that transmission, get the one that's made for it. It lasted this long, why change it?

As far as the fluid, again, the transmission lasted this long, why change it? Use the right stuff, use the Motorcraft.

Now... the transmission has a drain plug. That is also the fill plug. It's dumb, it's a 'lifetime sealed transmission', so you're not supposed to do this. You're supposed to swap the transmission.

That said, the procedure is:
Car on jackstands (or other raising device(s)), ensure level-ish. You do NOT do this on an incline. All four corners up.
Drain the pan with the drain bolt.
Replace drain bolt in pan.
Remove pan. Inspect for nastyness. Black stuff is probably ok, just clutch material or such, but metal is a bad thing(tm). If you see nastiness, you might need to have the transmission further inspected/repaired.
Remove and replace filter.
Reinstall pan with new gasket (or sealant or if it has a reusable one then reuse if in good condition (like the engine oil pan on a 4.6L))
Remove torx plug from drain bolt.
Insert tube into drain bolt that fits snugly, and also what fits a pump that you will use to pump fluid into the transmission.
Pump said fluid into said transmission until the transmission pan is full, mostly 4 quarts or so.
Remove tube from drain bolt.
Let excess fluid drain from drain bolt.
When fluid stops, replace torx plug in drain bolt.
Check transmission function, run through gears a few times.
Repeat fluid fil process to ensure proper fill.
Repeat check transmission, drive off jack stands in a yehaw moment. Or maybe just get the car off the jackstands your call.

I know that's maybe a wall of text, so clip it out and notepad it into submission as needed.

You might also check into doing the solenoid pack while you're there. That's totally your call of course, but it's a known thing with the 5r55s, as well as the solenoid piston bore thing. Look 'em up, decide as you will.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Here's the manual on filling the transmission (not the filter, but you can find that too.)
https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=245&f=Transm...el%20Check.pdf

Here's a video:
(not responsible for language, but it proves the point.)

Old 7/28/21, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey houtex!!

houtex how you been! You helped me install my muffler! Thanks for that. Your right I've been going back and fourth about what fluid to use and trans filter. I'm going to go OEM like you stated. .
I'll replace them. Do I need 5 quarts of motorcraft aft or 11.9? You know what lol let me look at the links you sent me. Thanks again houtex I'll try and post more pics of it to.

I want to change it because my car is doin something weird. sometimes on cold start up I will put my foot on the gas and for like 1 sec nothing will happen then something kicks in and my tires skid a little and I regain power. It's happens on cold and hot days usually when the car hasn't been warmed up all the way. I assume fuel line problems or liquids haven't reached operating temp.although could be much worse. But I'll deal with whatever comes along. I recently sprayed the mass airflow sensor with some mas cleaner maybe I screwed something up? Anyway thanks for your help! I appreciate it.

I'll give the solenoids a look while I'm down there to. I'll take pics for documentation purposes.

Last edited by The stanger; 7/28/21 at 01:24 PM.
Old 7/29/21, 10:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
I've... been. Depends on what day ya ask me. All good-ish though! Sounds like you're in good spirits!

You'll need what you pull out, and it appears that the pan holds about 4 quarts. So I'd get 5 just in case. You can always take the excess back for refund. The only time you need more is when you have to deal with the torque converter, which holds the remainder of the 11.9 (or about 7.9 quarts). It's a big dang cavity and it *must* be completely full. You'd pour the fluid in before installing on the transmission, though, because shoving 11.9 into the pan won't work. Well, there's other nooks and crannies involved too, but the majority is that torque converter.

You're not doing that, just a fluid/filter swap, so just what you need. 4 to 5 quarts, depending.

Now, I can hear the gears runnin' in your mind maybe. "How is this a full fluid change?" It's not. You don't do that when swapping the filter, you just put back what you need because pan removal. If you want a full 11.9 quart fluid exchange, you'd take off one of the cooler lines at the radiator and have it dump into a larger-than-11.9 quart container, while at the same time having a larger-than-11.9 quart container with about 12.2 quarts in it, and have the other side of that cooler line (make another line just for this) stuck in that container and siphon in the new fluid. Turn off the engine when the new container's almost empty, then quickly stopper the lines while you get the containers out and then make the cooler line connection back to the radiator. Tada, fluid swapped. You go back under the car and top it off as the other post says, just don't drain.

But that's silly talk. You really take it to a place that does it for you with a fancy machine. And instruct them *specifically* DO NOT flush, just exchange. Flush may introduce issues.

Oh, and for sure, there's more ways to skin that cat, just these are the ones I have in my brain. Mnn, brains...

So... there ya go. More than you want/need to know? IDK. But thems it. Go get 'er dun!

Last edited by houtex; 7/29/21 at 10:29 AM.