2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Change the suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 11/25/07, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change the suspension?

I was at the car wash the other day and some other guy with a mustang and I were talking about mods to the car. He claimed that I should change the suspension on the car to the same one that the shelby uses. Says it hugs the road better and gives it a smoother ride. Anyone have experience with this? Thoughts/suggestions?
Old 11/25/07, 10:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

If he means the Shelby GT, then I think it's pretty much universally agreed that it's a rougher ride.
Old 11/25/07, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

It all depends on what you want to do with the car. If the car handles good now and you like the ride then leave it alone. If you want to do some roundy round stuff then you will need to do some mods as well as if you drag racing it. Your should have a ruff enough ride with the 20's.
Old 11/25/07, 02:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It all depends what you want out of the car. Like any mod, whenever you change something, you'll get a negative reaction from something else. Wnat more power, expect poorer gas mileage. Want better handling, expect a stiffer ride. Everything comes at a price.

My car is setup as an open-track car. It handles very well and corners very flat. But the trade-off is a harsher ride and much increased NVH in the cabin.

If the car is a daily driver, be cautious in your mods. Do a lot of research on this forum first, then make an informed decision.
Old 11/26/07, 12:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like Jon said, expect a stiffer ride, but also expect your car to handle like its on rails. I dropped mine with Eibach sportlines and love it, however I will be adding a bump steer kit and Tokico D-specs soon. That will make you very happy with the way your car sits on the road.
Old 11/26/07, 06:31 AM

Well these are just general suggestions. As others have said, if you like the car the way it is, then leave it alone. But if you wanted to do something, this is what I would do without going too crazy.
Since you have 20 inch wheels and tires on the car I would not lower it. You could change out the rear sway bar and the car will stick better cornering. It is an easy mod to do. I would also add a cold air intake and a tune. You will gain better performance as well as better gas mileage. Those are a couple of basic mods that I think you will like.
Old 11/26/07, 10:25 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jedikd
If he means the Shelby GT, then I think it's pretty much universally agreed that it's a rougher ride.
Yes, the suspension for the Shelby GT is admittedly more for track day than regular road use, the springs are 60% stiffer compared to the regular manual trans GT springs.

The GT500 does use higher durometer bushings in a few places (most notably the rear control arms and upper strut mounts) along with some bracing from the verts.

On the plus side, I can confirm that the FR3 handling pack does come nicely into its own even on bumpy roads at very high speeds.

Although you could make a change from all season rubber to summer rubber and produce an excellent increase in handling with out compromising ride.
Old 11/30/07, 04:43 PM

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Still can't make up my mind though.
Old 11/30/07, 07:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I think you have to decide how much you want to lower it and then look for springs that will give you that drop. If you lower the rear of your car one inch it will sit darn close to level. Just to give you an idea.
I think as close to one inch drop in front and around 1.5 in the rear looks awsome.
Old 11/30/07, 08:14 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Some things to remeber with lowering the suspesion - and I don't know how low is to far, I haven't found a definitive answer on that yet) - it borks the factory suspension geometry, roll center and brake drive are negatively effected as well as the operation of the panhard rod. On the plus side is a lower center of gravity.
Old 11/30/07, 08:42 PM
Cobra Member

Any modification that lowers other car or upgrades the suspension does not equate to a smoother ride. Anyone who tells you otherwise is smoking dope.

Originally Posted by Emperor008
I was at the car wash the other day and some other guy with a mustang and I were talking about mods to the car. He claimed that I should change the suspension on the car to the same one that the shelby uses. Says it hugs the road better and gives it a smoother ride. Anyone have experience with this? Thoughts/suggestions?
Old 11/30/07, 08:42 PM
Cobra Member

Any modification that lowers car or upgrades the suspension does not equate to a smoother ride. Anyone who tells you otherwise is smoking dope.

Originally Posted by Emperor008
Old 12/1/07, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

If the reason you can't make up your mind to go with the FRPP FR3 handling kit (or some other lowering mod) is because you're concerned the car will become too stiff for a daily driver, perhaps you should try and see if you can get a ride in a lowered GT so you can judge for yourself. Plenty of people think the stock GT is too soft, so they find the FR3 kit perfect as far as ride quality.

I talked to a mechanic I've trusted for years, and he prepped 3 '05-07 Mustangs for road racing events at Lime Rock Park in CT. He installed the FR3 kit on two of them. In his opinion, the FR3 is not too harsh for a daily driver, and both of the owners agreed with him, and loved the mod.

All I know is that my wife's PT Cruiser with the sport suspension option is as stiff or stiffer than my stock GT, and that just ain't right!