2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Car Smoking badly! Looking for a good dealer in Central VA

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/06, 05:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
My old auto shop teacher used to say that rings don't properly seat with synthetic, but I assumed that was 80's lore that no longer applied...
Old 10/12/06, 06:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '05 does that from time to time, a little puff of blue smoke after it sits for a few hours then gets started again. I'm all stock, using Castrol GTX 5w20. My car has done this since new, mostly during the spring or fall months, but has never used any measureable oil between changes.
Old 10/15/06, 05:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the car goes back into the shop (a different dealer) in the morning. The service manager seemed very reasonable on the phone so I am hoping for an answer other than "normal condensation" this time. I started it in the garage today (62 degrees outside) it smoked so badly that after I backed it out of the garage, there was smoke rolling out from the garage door. I waited outside for a couple minutes for it to dissippate because I was afraid my next door neighbor would think my garage was on fire. I really hope they are able to figure it out and do something about it. I just want a car that does not smoke. Is that too much to ask?
Old 10/15/06, 08:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by creggleton
Well, the car goes back into the shop (a different dealer) in the morning. The service manager seemed very reasonable on the phone so I am hoping for an answer other than "normal condensation" this time.
Let us know how everything works out.

Earl
Old 10/15/06, 08:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

No, it is not too much to ask Craig.

Let us know how things work out.
Old 10/15/06, 08:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006stang
Maybe we should have waited a little longer to switch synthetic.???

Thougt 5w20 was synthetic blend?. I want to take to a dealer cause of the what i call loud tapping from under the hood.( is that normal?( I 1500 miles so for on a pleasure car. I f i see see smoke in another 1.5k I will be p***ed off!
Old 10/17/06, 02:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Got a call from the dealer today. Thankfully, they see the smoke cloud too. They said cylinder number 2 fuel injector was leaking down. He confirmed this when he pulled the plug and it was very dark and wet. They ordered an injector and will install a new plug. On a not so good note, he said the car was almost a quart low on oil. I just changed it on the 20th of September and unless I had a case of major brain fade, I know I refilled with 6 quarts. (I think I still have the empties in my garage.) They want to change the oil so they can document that they put 6 quarts as a reference and then they/I can monitor it. Of course if it still smokes, they will have to do some more digging. I'll keep you posted.
Old 10/17/06, 03:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

I just checked in the garage. My SIX empty Mobil One bottles are still on the shelf. This would mean that the car has used 1 quart in about 200 miles. Not good. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens after the fuel injector/spark plug replacement.
Old 10/17/06, 03:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by creggleton
I just checked in the garage. My SIX empty Mobil One bottles are still on the shelf. This would mean that the car has used 1 quart in about 200 miles. Not good. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens after the fuel injector/spark plug replacement.
That makes sense. The extra fuel was diluting the oil and it was getting past the rings and being burned.
Old 10/19/06, 11:51 AM
Cobra Member

Any updates on the smoking? There is a possibility there may be cylinder wall damage due to the gas washing the oil off the cylinder wall and increasing wear on startup.
Old 10/19/06, 01:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

At least these guys were able to properly diagnose this issue, I was very confident there was something going wrong. The nuttiest part of this story is still the dealership that said "no problem found". Once again we see a very well illustrated view of the Blue Oval service. The inconsistency of these dealer service departments really scares me.
Old 10/19/06, 02:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
At least these guys were able to properly diagnose this issue, I was very confident there was something going wrong. The nuttiest part of this story is still the dealership that said "no problem found". Once again we see a very well illustrated view of the Blue Oval service. The inconsistency of these dealer service departments really scares me.
Don't forget to go back to the idiot dealer and show them the work that was done. Rub it in their noses and let em know what you think of their shoddy service. Oh, and don't forget to mention them in your dealer service survey!
Old 10/19/06, 05:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well, here is the latest. I picked the car up last night. When I started it, I got more blue smoke than I would have liked to see, but not nearly the smoke show I usually get. I drove the car to work (about 10 miles from the dealer) and when I started it this morning, same thing, some blue smoke. The repair ticket (after injector and plug replacement) was noted as "some blue smoke from exhaust on initial start but no grey smoke and no fuel smell. Blue smoke may be residual in cats and will burn off. Starting an oil consumption test, Possible internal engine oil loss condition" I guess I am going to drive it for a while and keep a close eye on the oil. I just have to think that if the car used a quart of oil in a little over 200 miles that I would have had constant blue smoke whenever it was running. The oil usage thing really bothers me because I know I put 6 quarts of oil in there. The service at Bill Talley Ford was very good and I never got the feeling they were jerking me around. They stated that if this repair is not the answer, that they will dig deeper. I'll keep you posted.
Old 10/20/06, 10:59 AM
V6 Member

I'm sure you know that when it's a quart low to take it back and let them put the quart in, gotta keep that paper trail.
Old 10/20/06, 02:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by kepfordj
I'm sure you know that when it's a quart low to take it back and let them put the quart in, gotta keep that paper trail.
Yes, that is the plan. I checked it this morning and it looks like it is already a little below the full mark. It smoked pretty good when I started it but was more grayish looking than before. It is really strange because I get this intial burst of thick smoke and then normal looking steam from condensation after that. I may try to post a video of it for all to see.
Old 10/20/06, 06:14 PM
GT Member

Just wanted to add that I currently have 4k miles on my 05 GT and that it sometimes puffs bluish white smoke with its first started up… Sure looks impressive when the next door neighbor looks over to my smoking garage wile I back my new car out… But once it’s warm it clears out. I too switched to Mobil 1 after 1000miles... Keep us posted!
Old 10/20/06, 07:48 PM

Which dealership did you carry it to the first time was it Sheehy? I have a friend who just started to carry his 05 to Haley and has been pretty happy with them. The only reason I am asking is because if I have another problem. I don't want to go through the same BS with a dealer that can't fix a problem. I have also had a local dealer who I carried mine to awhile back who used the Ford hotline to much and could not fix the problem I was having till about the fourth try.
Old 10/21/06, 03:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Why don't you try a 5W-50 oil to see if that solves the problem? 5W-20 has JUST BARELY enough viscosity to protect the engine at full operating temperature. Sounds like valve seal or seals allowing the very thin hot oil to leak around them after shutdown.
Remember that when 5W-20 oil is at operating temperature, it is phenomenally thin (about 50 Saybolt).

Keep in mind this definition of a 5W-20 oil:
It behaves like a 5 weight at 0F
The “W” means “safe for Winter applications”
It behaves like a 20 weight at 212F.

By the viscosity tables, I read the following Viscosities:
a 5 weight oil has a viscosity of about 3,000 Saybolt at 0F
a 20 weight oil has a viscosity of about 50 Saybolt at 212F
a 30 weight oil has a viscosity of about 65 Saybolt at 212F
a 40 weight oil has a viscosity of about 70 Saybolt at 212F
a 50 weight oil has a viscosity of about 95 Saybolt at 212F

So, if your top number is 20, 30, 40, or 50, they are all far thinner than 5 weight at 0F. You won't hurt your engine, and actually would protect it better with a higher second-number oil. These thin second-number oils are all about fuel economy. Note that the new Shelby REQUIRES 5W-50 because of the bearing loads, so you know that the thicker-at-temperature oil will work in engines of this general design.
Old 10/21/06, 05:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by RICVA05
Which dealership did you carry it to the first time was it Sheehy? I have a friend who just started to carry his 05 to Haley and has been pretty happy with them. The only reason I am asking is because if I have another problem. I don't want to go through the same BS with a dealer that can't fix a problem. I have also had a local dealer who I carried mine to awhile back who used the Ford hotline to much and could not fix the problem I was having till about the fourth try.
It was not Sheehy.
Old 10/21/06, 05:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Gearhead
Why don't you try a 5W-50 oil to see if that solves the problem? 5W-20 has JUST BARELY enough viscosity to protect the engine at full operating temperature. Sounds like valve seal or seals allowing the very thin hot oil to leak around them after shutdown.
Remember that when 5W-20 oil is at operating temperature, it is phenomenally thin (about 50 Saybolt).

Keep in mind this definition of a 5W-20 oil:
It behaves like a 5 weight at 0F
The “W” means “safe for Winter applications”
It behaves like a 20 weight at 212F.

By the viscosity tables, I read the following Viscosities:
a 5 weight oil has a viscosity of about 3,000 Saybolt at 0F
a 20 weight oil has a viscosity of about 50 Saybolt at 212F
a 30 weight oil has a viscosity of about 65 Saybolt at 212F
a 40 weight oil has a viscosity of about 70 Saybolt at 212F
a 50 weight oil has a viscosity of about 95 Saybolt at 212F

So, if your top number is 20, 30, 40, or 50, they are all far thinner than 5 weight at 0F. You won't hurt your engine, and actually would protect it better with a higher second-number oil. These thin second-number oils are all about fuel economy. Note that the new Shelby REQUIRES 5W-50 because of the bearing loads, so you know that the thicker-at-temperature oil will work in engines of this general design.
I have thought about this as well. The problem with that is, if this thing turns out to be a major repair, (New engine, rebuild, or whatever) if they (Ford) were to do an oil analysis, and found anything other than 5w-20, they could very well blame this and try to deny my warranty. It would be tough for them to prove that the different viscosity caused the problem, but it would be another headache added to this whole issue. Incendently, when I was talking to Ford Customer Service back when they were saying "normal condensation", they told me it could be because of my aftermarket exhaust. Total B.S., I know, but they are quick to to point the finger at anyone but themselves.

Quick Reply: Car Smoking badly! Looking for a good dealer in Central VA